User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post

1) How much do you guys agree with this?

I really like the metaphor, just regarding its first paragraph, I am not sure how much complexity, variety and openness people see on my surface, if they really see enough for them to conclude that there isn't much more beneath.

I had people who had been working with me for several months ask me: "Who are you??" because I was surrounded by S-types and just didn't talk very much and certainly didn't show anything that was going on underneath the surface.

2) When it comes to meaningful relationships, how important is it that someone is able to understand OR appreciate the deeper layers?
    It is vital. I also want them to have many layers, if I feel like I can figure you out quickly I lose interest.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Are INFJs that complicated?

I've always considered myself a simple gal.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I can definitely see myself in that metaphor, Udog! On the outside I really do look like the green planet (well, not as in green and spherical), and people are often attracted to that quite instantly, thinking I'm attractive and interesting etc. But whenever people instantly like me, I can't help but seriously distrust their feelings. I always think "yeah you *think* you like me now, but I haven't seen you make any effort to actually get to know me yet. Chances are that when you do scratch beneath the surface, you're not going to like the lava. So don't go saying you like me because you really haven't a clue yet."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post

Even though you may not mean to be, y'all are not the easiest folks to read, especially for gregarious extroverts with a 3-second attention span, but you're worth it, so it's OK.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

^ Split Infinitive, that sounds familiar. I try not to think that way, but I'm afraid I do. And from experience it has happened on a few occasions where months or a few yrs down the road someone is totally surprised by something about me that only then has had the opportunity to surface, and they have reacted negatively to it -- like they thought they had me figured out at the start and then think I've been deceiving them or something, which isn't the case. Makes me all the more cautious I suppose. Not that that's a good response.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I really like the metaphor, just regarding its first paragraph, I am not sure how much complexity, variety and openness people see on my surface, if they really see enough for them to conclude that there isn't much more beneath.
    It's tough to say. Lots of people, though, don't really look beyond the surface unless they have a compelling reason to. Perhaps your persona is crafted to keep people from trespassing?

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post

Is there a sarcasm tag in your post that I am missing?

In what way do you consider yourself a simple gal? It's not something I'm used to hearing an INFJ say, and would love to understand your comment better.

Quote Originally Posted by Split_Infinitive View Post
    I always think "yeah you *think* you like me now, but I haven't seen you make any effort to actually get to know me yet. Chances are that when you do scratch beneath the surface, you're not going to like the lava. So don't go saying you like me because you really haven't a clue yet."
    Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    And from experience it has happened on a few occasions where months or a few yrs down the road someone is totally surprised by something about me that only then has had the opportunity to surface, and they have reacted negatively to it -- like they thought they had me figured out at the start and then think I've been deceiving them or something, which isn't the case. Makes me all the more cautious I suppose. Not that that's a good response.
    Great comments. It's a shame that people usually react this way, though.

What are the types of things that people say to you (and mean it, of course) that relax you early on?

Sniffles

That's a wonderful metaphor. Seems to parallel my observation of there being an entire universe within every sentence an INFJ speaks.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

One thing I always think of when I think about INFJs and their complex personality is how Susanna Dean thought about Roland in one of the Dark Tower books.

That's a wonderful metaphor. Seems to parallel my observation of there being an entire universe within every sentence an INFJ speaks.
    +1, there's SO much that goes into the words we say (I'm hurt deeply by anyone that says 'Ed, stop thinking so much.') that any time we feel it is unappreciated we deem that person not worth the time and move on. When we find someone who listens to us and is willing to join in or can relate to at least some of what we say or have gone through, we latch on.

When people don't bother looking deeper than the surface, all they see is this guy who doesn't talk much, stutters a lot, is dorky, thinks a lot on everything, and is easy to irritate. I'm not very complex on the surface, but when you become my friend, at least a good acquaintance, there's the second level of the surface. You could say it's the cloud layer then the crust layer.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by whimsical View Post
    that is an absolutely great metaphor
    in a relationship understanding and appreciation of these layers under the crust is very important because it tells me that the person is tolerant of others differences and that they can accept me for me

Pretty much right on.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Is there a sarcasm tag in your post that I am missing?

In what way do you consider yourself a simple gal? It's not something I'm used to hearing an INFJ say, and would love to understand your comment better.

I guess there was a hint of sarcasm there, but only because I know that INFJs are generally considered to be complex. I meant I'm pretty simple in terms of my needs and wants; reasonable peace of mind, harmonious surroundings, a bit of success, a partner I can share my thoughts with and whose negative qualities do not outweigh his positive qualities, and a fair share of passionate and exciting experiences. I can agree with INFJs having complex emotions, but I think once a person gets into the rhythm of an INFJ the INFJ will be much less difficult to figure out. Yes, the intensity and quirks are always right under the reserved exterior, but you'll understand this after a while and know what to expect.