• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] The NF connection with the Enneagram

Enneagram

• Total voters

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Heh, that's weird. I thought 5w4s were usually INTP or even INTJ. How are you sure that you're INFP if you turn out as a dom 5 in the enneagram?

Correlation, but not causation. 5 INFPs are entirely possible, though uncommon. Along with 4 INTs.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Correlation, but not causation. 5 INFPs are entirely possible, though uncommon. Along with 4 INTs.

Right, which is why I said "usually." I never said it was impossible (I already know this, thanks). I am just asking her, given the pretty strong tendency for INTPs to be 5s, how she knows she is INFP. Not that she isn't, or that I'm insinuating that she isn't.

I'm just curious about her specific case because I have been confused over whether I am INTP or INFP, and I thought that my enneagram 5 was pretty strong evidence in favor of INTP.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Right, which is why I said "usually." I never said it was impossible (I already know this, thanks). I am just asking her, given the pretty strong tendency for INTPs to be 5s, how she knows she is INFP. Not that she isn't, or that I'm insinuating that she isn't.

Right. :doh: Woops.

I'm just curious about her specific case because I have been confused over whether I am INTP or INFP, and I thought that my enneagram 5 was pretty strong evidence in favor of INTP.

Hmm... I C.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You are most likely a type 4 (the Individualist) with 5 wing

Self-preservation variant

Type 4 SP
Type 5 SP
Type 6 SP
Type 1 SP
Type 9 SP
Type 2 SP
Type 3 SX
Type 8 SX
Type 7 SO

I've tested 4w5 before... so this makes sense.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Heh, that's weird. I thought 5w4s were usually INTP or even INTJ. How are you sure that you're INFP if you turn out as a dom 5 in the enneagram?
There no mistaking that Fi, and I'm a strong empathic. Officially I'm INXP, (Via professional testing). If it helps my 4 wing is almost equal. I think Geoff posted some where an excellent theory on why so many INFPs and INTP test boarderline, it wouldn't surprise me if that theory translated well into ennegram as well, at least in my case.
Analytical is the first word people used to describe me, both professionally and personally (then it's sensitive, but that's a whole other story).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
There no mistaking that Fi. Officially I'm INXP.

What's Fi to you such that you can't mistake it? Sorry if this is derailing the thread a bit. I appreciate any help you can give me here ;).

Sponge

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
There no mistaking that Fi, and I'm a strong empathic. Officially I'm INXP, (Via professional testing). If it helps my 4 wing is almost equal. I think Geoff posted some where an excellent theory on why so many INFPs and INTP test boarderline, it wouldn't surprise me if that theory translated well into ennegram as well, at least in my case.
Analytical is the first word people used to describe me, both professionally and personally (then it's sensitive, but that's a whole other story).

I'm pretty much exactly the same.

I'm certain I am a INFP yet I have a strong NT side for some reason, and as such I always test and identify with 5w4.

I use FI and NE a lot, but my TI is also rather developed, probably from living with my INTP partner for 5 years haha. My use of FI is astronomical though, I use it far too much in my daily life. Everything I weigh against my values, I'm constantly searching for my own meaning and the meaning of everything else and I analyse pretty much everything, but not in a logical way ;)

I dunno, I'm not sure how to explain how I use FI. I spend too much of my time just day dreaming hehe.

Actually, now I'm confused.

And the fact I am confused and doubting my FI use makes me a INFP, yaaaaay! :D

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, keep in mind that logic can be one of Fi's values. And combined with a developed Te, can make an INFP look like an INTP. Doesn't happen as often in reverse. Fi and Ti are pretty similiar. They're highly similiar processes, but they utilize different information.

And stuff.

lane777

nevermore
You are most likely a type 9 (the Peacemaker) with 1 wing

Type 9 SP
Type 6 SO
Type 1 SP
Type 5 SO
Type 2 SO
Type 4 SO
Type 3 SP
Type 7 SP
Type 8 SX

Sponge

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, keep in mind that logic can be one of Fi's values. And combined with a developed Te, can make an INFP look like an INTP. Doesn't happen as often in reverse. Fi and Ti are pretty similiar. They're highly similiar processes, but they utilize different information.

Indeed, that's the conclusion I came to.

My partner thinks a lot differently to me, and he's a text-book INTP. He thinks about things much more objectively than I, but we both have our own brand of logic, or the way we interpret things. NT's are not always amazingly logical when they start arguing within fallacies, but I think that's more unhealthy NT behaviour, possibly?

In terms of values, fairness is perhaps my biggest value. I don't care about what people feel about things if they're being unfair, fairness first, compassion second in my book. You find a lot of tests online where that is a NT trait, and not a NF one, but it's one of my values, dammit! :D

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
You are most likely a type 5 (the Investigator) with balanced wings

Type 5 SP
Type 4 SO
Type 6 SP
Type 9 SP
Type 1 SP
Type 7 SP
Type 8 SP
Type 2 SP
Type 3 SX

What does "balanced wings" mean? I have two? How confusing can this stuff get. :wacko:

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm comaring mbti to the enneagram, and I did one for the SJ's, now I want your assistance.

Enneagram Test with Instinctual Variant results

Give me your top three in your posts, (not the wings that they give you, out you top three on the ranking). Give your first result in the poll.

Declare you mbti specifics (e/i and p/j) and your top three (bar ranked) enneagram.

MBTI = INFP (with ocasional uncertainty on both F and P :))

I did not vote in the poll since you requested the vote be the first result in the poll is the one I agree with the least of the top 3 test results (4 or 5 are both very concievable with 4w5 being what I usually self type as based off descriptions rather than tests).

Result order from that test.
9 (sx)
4 (sp)
5 (so)

--- Rest of result order after first 3 ---

1 (sx) (the results upto this point (1) are all reasonably close and in the ~75-100 range))
6 (sp) (at this point (6) there is a fairly sharp drop to about 50% of the bar)
3 (sx) (there is another noticable drop here, but the last 4 are all rougly 1/3 of the bar)
8 (sx)
7 (so)
2 (sp)

Edit - Adding to post.

I started reading one of my enneagram books again (Wisdom of the Enneagram) and in it, it has type specific tests to see how well you match to a specific enneagram type. I went through and did each of those tests and adjusted the scores to give a baseline of 0 instead of 15 (the questions were 1 to 5 with 1 being the lowest, I adjusted to make it zero to 4) to geta rough percentage match to each type and was slightly suprised by how many of the "1" questions I strongly agreed with (still less than 4 or 5 tho). I think this is a better estimate of my order of enneagram preferences.

4 - 70%
5 - 68%
1 - 48%
9 - 38%
2 - 35%
7 - 35%
8 - 33%
6 - 30%
3 - 27%

In this context 4w5 makes a LOT of sense because 5 is a valid wing for 4s and 4s in times of growth or security can exhibit characteristics of 1s and in times of stress can show characteristics of 2s. 5w4 does not make as much sense when put in contact of intigration and idsentigration with other ennegram types as 5s are linked to 8s for security/growth and 7s for stress.

Why I'm curious? Because there is generally two or three high frequencies between other groups, nts most often get 5s, nfs have a high % for 9's, etc.

There should (in my mind) be two or three enneagrams that should cover about 60 to 80% of the people within each of the four groups, with one showing up more than the other one or two enneagrams.

Thanks for appeasing my curiosity.

With the supposed high % of 9s in NFs, it may be worth asking if oters agree witht he results of the test or not for this purpose. I don't doubt that a good ammount of NFs will relate well to 9, but if the test shows that result often and there is also a lot of others that disagree, that should be taken into consideration. I think the greater correlation to type will be seen in the I/E and P/J aspects (which you did specificly mention, so you probably have a similar hypothesis about that). 9s are rather interesting here because I think 9s and to a lesser extent 2s are the types more likely to be dependant on F/T preference.

My theories...
Enneagram type - Most likely diferentiating characteristic(s).
1 - J
2 - F and S
3 - No hypothesis on correlation
4 - I and F
5 - T and N
6 - J and S
7 - S and P
8 - E
9 - F

Last edited:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's Fi to you such that you can't mistake it? Sorry if this is derailing the thread a bit. I appreciate any help you can give me here ;).

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. My laptop decided not to work anymore.

I have undeniable empathy,and I'm sensitive emotionally. Not typically NT traits.
When I got tested, though, it basically came down to which profile rang truer, plus I got feed back from friends later.
I do think it's hard for those right on the dividing line of T and F.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
ENxP
You are most likely a type 7 (the Enthusiast) with 8 wing

Type 7 SO
Type 3 SO
Type 8 SX
Type 9 SX
Type 2 SX
Type 1 SX
Type 6 SX
Type 4 SX
Type 5 SX

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get different results every time I take this test, but today I got:

Type 4 SO
Type 6 SO
Type 9 SO
Type 5 SP
Type 1 SP
Type 7 SO
Type 2 SP
Type 3 SX
Type 8 SO

I'm really surprised that 6 was second...

I usually just say I'm 4w5. I'm not sure about instinctual variants...I'm confused about which one I am.

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
Type 2 SO
Type 3 SO
Type 7 SO
Type 8 SO
Type 6 SO
Type 9 SP
Type 1 SO
Type 4 SX
Type 5 SO

WTH? I was a 9w1. I tested 3 TIMES before.

Did my multiple personality peak through today?

So this would indicate I am a 2w3? 2 won by a good ways - and 3 and 7 were closer together.

Am I crazy?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7w8 sx/so/sp

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My most stable numbers in order of strenth are 4, 5, and 6. I also get semi-frequent peaks at either 1 or 2, but never both at the same time.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My results in order.

Type 8 SP
Type 3 SX
Type 7 SO

What I thought was really interesting was that Type 9 was my lowest, followed closely by type 4.