• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ + INFJ Concerns...

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Okay guys.

Me (girl) = INFJ, and him = INFJ.

We had an amazing thing going for a couple of months. We were both amazed by how well we understood each other and how comforting it was to finally find someone who could. Everything matched up. We even had incredible chemistry.

However, here's what went wrong, and I need help understanding.

I think he's a really mature guy for his age 21, however, he feels that he needs to grow up. He's hurt girls in his past relationships by being uncaring and generally an ass. With me, he really doesn't want to hurt me, and broke up with me because he's convinced that he'd sabotage our relationship due to his immaturity and that he needs to take time to figure himself out.

I want to be there for him and provide any comfort I can. Of course, I didn't take it so well, because I don't truly believe he has any major issues. But I trust him and if he thinks he's doing the right thing, then he probably is.

Here are my questions:

1. If I stay close to him, as a friend, will I hurt/hinder him or help him? Will it put me in any line of fire?

2. After he "fixes" himself, does it seem possible that he'd come back to me? He's convinced himself that I'm too good for him, that I'm perfect. Will he still want to be with me?

I'm afraid of negative answers to both, being an INFJ myself and knowing that once I get past someone, I never return to the prospect, and I don't want to lose him. I also don't want to hurt myself by hoping that he'll return to me.

I guess it's hard, with an INFJ trying to understand the actions of another INFJ. You'd think it'd be easy, but we're each such complicated individuals... things get very convoluted.

maliafee

I almost hesitate to tell you this, but in almost every case I've ever heard of (and experienced), when a guy says he needs to figure himself out and breaks up with you he's got either one or several other girls he wants to pursue.

Sorry. I hope I'm wrong!

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
I almost hesitate to tell you this, but in almost every case I've ever heard of (and experienced), when a guy says he needs to figure himself out and breaks up with you he's got either one or several other girls he wants to pursue.

Sorry. I hope I'm wrong!

Heh. Yeah, I don't think so... he'd let me know if there was. We've been completely honest with each other every step of the way.

maliafee

Yay! I'm glad to hear that.

By the way, check out my post about you in the "tell other members what you think of them" thread -- I posted a picture of my INFJ mom from the sixties and you really look like her!

As far as the boy goes, since you know he's not into anyone else, I think you should NOT hope for him to come back (because if you do it will hurt you while you wait, especially if he never does return to you, and if he does return it'll be a really great surprise). Being friends is tricky, because it might make the psychological distance you need from each other right now difficult. Then again, if you're sure he doesn't really need to be detaching from you in the first place, stay friends and he'll probably fall into your arms again.

Good luck! :)

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Yay! I'm glad to hear that.

By the way, check out my post about you in the "tell other members what you think of them" thread -- I posted a picture of my INFJ mom from the sixties and you really look like her!

As far as the boy goes, since you know he's not into anyone else, I think you should NOT hope for him to come back (because if you do it will hurt you while you wait, especially if he never does return to you, and if he does return it'll be a really great surprise). Being friends is tricky, because it might make the psychological distance you need from each other right now difficult. Then again, if you're sure he doesn't really need to be detaching from you in the first place, stay friends and he'll probably fall into your arms again.

Good luck! :)

Yeah, that's the thing. He does want us to stay friends, and he even mentioned that he would've liked to get to know me better as a friend first before we jumped into our relationship. But I think that the distance (he already lives in another state, so it's not like we see each other daily) would help both of us. I'm not sure. :/

maliafee

I think it would help, too. It's not as if you can never talk to him again if you take a little break/space.

What happened to me is that I was dating an ISFP. We seemed perfect together. After about a year together, he told me he didn't love me that way anymore but that it wasn't me, it was that he needed to figure himself out and he wasn't ready (he WAS 5 years younger than me). I had a hard time with it, but understood. People told me he was probably interested in another girl, but I couldn't believe it. I asked him if it was that, and he said an emphatic NO.

Well, a year and a half later, when I'd moved on and was happy with my new ISFJ boyfriend, Mr. ISFP writes me all apologetic and it turns out he had been with another girl who dumped him. My INFJ best friend told me that he most certainly wrote me to try and get back together with me, but after he found out I was unavailable his contact fizzled out.

The thing is, if I hadn't found someone new, I would've gone back with the ISFP, because I loved him that much and hoped he'd come back for me (for at least six months after our breakup or more). Too late. We didn't stay friends during the breakup though.

But now I'm happier that I moved on, and glad I found my ISFJ, who is really a better person than the ISFP I lost (even though I adored him and in many ways he WAS great).

Sometimes (most times) I think moving on is the healthiest thing. You may find someone who is even better for you (like an even healthier INFJ, for instance?)...

I hope you figure it out because I know how hard stuff like this can be!

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
I think it would help, too. It's not as if you can never talk to him again if you take a little break/space.

What happened to me is that I was dating an ISFP. We seemed perfect together. After about a year together, he told me he didn't love me that way anymore but that it wasn't me, it was that he needed to figure himself out and he wasn't ready (he WAS 5 years younger than me). I had a hard time with it, but understood. People told me he was probably interested in another girl, but I couldn't believe it. I asked him if it was that, and he said an emphatic NO.

Well, a year and a half later, when I'd moved on and was happy with my new ISFJ boyfriend, Mr. ISFP writes me all apologetic and it turns out he had been with another girl who dumped him. My INFJ best friend told me that he most certainly wrote me to try and get back together with me, but after he found out I was unavailable his contact fizzled out.

The thing is, if I hadn't found someone new, I would've gone back with the ISFP, because I loved him that much and hoped he'd come back for me (for at least six months after our breakup or more). Too late. We didn't stay friends during the breakup though.

But now I'm happier that I moved on, and glad I found my ISFJ, who is really a better person than the ISFP I lost (even though I adored him and in many ways he WAS great).

Sometimes (most times) I think moving on is the healthiest thing. You may find someone who is even better for you (like an even healthier INFJ, for instance?)...

I hope you figure it out because I know how hard stuff like this can be!

Thanks! Yeah, I mean... I can't write that possibility off, but I highly, highly doubt it. His friends would know and so would mine. Plus, his psychological concerns have been there from the beginning.

But yeah. I'll have to move on. I've learned through too many other instances that I have to do that, because I only hurt myself and I've had enough of that.

It's funny. He's the 3rd INFJ I've dated. The two previous had their own issues and we also didn't meet up on the important issues (religiously, for one). With him, I though I'd finally found everything I wanted. I think he's just fine the way he is, so it's a little ironic that he's the one that decides he needs to improve as a person (which is something that INFJ are always striving for). Each of us works for perfection, or close to it. So, i can appreciate it, I suppose.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You sorta look like Clare from Claymore in your avatar. And that's gotta be the nerdiest comment I made today, but really felt like it.

Anyhow. I've been in the same situation as the guy, me being the one saying I need space and time to myself and couldn't focus on the relationship. For me it was because I honestly believed I didn't deserve the girl. And she deserved someone better than me. I was at the time still struggling with my past. And I was right, I didn't deserve her, because me believing that I didn't deserve her was more then enough to actually not deserve her.

I know I was being a dumbass prick by doing that so save me the lectures. Was too troubled at the time. :p

In any case, he has baggage.

If he doesn't want to have a relationship, no matter what reason he has, then you do deserve better. He needs to do whatever it takes to be with you, or shouldn't be with you at all.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh by the way, I didn't get back with that girl and would not count on it either. By the time I felt I was ready for relationships again it was a year later, I did consider talking to her about it, but since she was dating another guy and seemed genuinly happy I let it go and moved on.

So, what I mean is. After several months. Feelings dissapate. Simple as. Maybe he will work things out and be ready some time later, but don't wait for that, look for other people and move on. If he does come back and you're single and still potentially interested, make sure he has his baggage sorted.

redacted

He's scared. Maybe he subconsciously wants you to convince him that you want to be with him through his actualization process? Or that you think of him as somehow "equal" to you.

He probably doesn't understand why you want to be with him -- he's convinced you can find someone better. His brake-up seems like a test. If you accept it, he was right. If you fight him, he may be convinced that you care more than he currently thinks.

(This is very interesting to me since I'm dealing with the beginnings of getting involved with another INFJ myself.)

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i've often felt the same way to the point of avoiding relationships bc i didn't want to hurt someone else while still being so totally uncertain and conflicting as to where my feelings really lied.

i think one of the problems with infj + infj is that, altho you can become extremely close, there is no introverted feeling in the relationship. we absorb and respond to the feelings of others, introverted feeling concentrates, sorts, weighs their feelings, most of all, coupled with Si, they KEEP them.

we don't nearly as much, we are use once and discard. the feelings change how we interpret things, they affect our intuition and sometimes drastically rework its landscape, but we don't have them accessible and they don't stick around like they do for introverted feelers like infps.

as a result it is very difficult for us to KNOW how we feel. i am 25 but i feel soooo immature, i'm just learning why partly due to this. i've just gotten invovled with an intj girl, and the whole thing is driven by her tertiary introverted feeling. she is pushing it, she is supplying the concentrated collected coalesced feeling to keep us together. whereas i help articulate it, express it, tease it out.

w/ other infjs it is very easy to trust them, but you're both inside out and don't know what is supposed to be directing you as a result. it's great bc you feel fully recognized, and it helps fulfill your needs, but problems remain that you have to contend with.

i think it is possible to stay friends, but you have to have other things on your plate in order for that to work. i think infjs share a very strong connection (all types who share dom functions do), but as a result you should look elsewhere to get your bearings, to get the information you need to slowly discern what you need/want, etc.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
also one other thing- i may say i need to explore the field or do something else. but people who stick around stick around. i mean, with infjs, at least from my own experience, i imagine our minds need to explore possibilities and revise our ideals and our images of the future that we are striving to attain. a slight shift in perspective and everything can fall into place.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He's scared. Maybe he subconsciously wants you to convince him that you want to be with him through his actualization process? Or that you think of him as somehow "equal" to you.

He probably doesn't understand why you want to be with him -- he's convinced you can find someone better. His brake-up seems like a test. If you accept it, he was right. If you fight him, he may be convinced that you care more than he currently thinks.

(This is very interesting to me since I'm dealing with the beginnings of getting involved with another INFJ myself.)

I suppose in general INFJ's aren't as stubborn as INTP's, so maybe you're right. I know that for me, at the time, I would have been too stubborn to listen to the girl I broke up with. I genuinly -felt- wrong for her (relationships in general), surely nothing she could say would make me change that. Out of respect for her I ended it.

If it is a 'test' though, I can't quite relate. If he does believe that's how relationships work, I for one wouldn't date him. :p But again, that's my stubbornness. xD

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
If he doesn't want to have a relationship, no matter what reason he has, then you do deserve better. He needs to do whatever it takes to be with you, or shouldn't be with you at all.

I do sort of agree with that. I mostly understand why he broke it off, but that does slip into my mind... if he really wanted to be with me, he'd work a way around it, wouldn't he?

That's a possibility, and believe me, I fought and fought to keep us together. But understanding and supporting his wish to "fix" himself overpowered my selfishness to keep him.

But here's something interesting I should add - he wanted to almost make me hate him so that he'd have motivation to solve his issues in the first place so that, I suppose, the relationship would be equal. That doesn't make sense to me.

i've often felt the same way to the point of avoiding relationships bc i didn't want to hurt someone else while still being so totally uncertain and conflicting as to where my feelings really lied.

i think one of the problems with infj + infj is that, altho you can become extremely close, there is no introverted feeling in the relationship. we absorb and respond to the feelings of others, introverted feeling concentrates, sorts, weighs their feelings, most of all, coupled with Si, they KEEP them.

we don't nearly as much, we are use once and discard. the feelings change how we interpret things, they affect our intuition and sometimes drastically rework its landscape, but we don't have them accessible and they don't stick around like they do for introverted feelers like infps.

as a result it is very difficult for us to KNOW how we feel. i am 25 but i feel soooo immature, i'm just learning why partly due to this. i've just gotten invovled with an intj girl, and the whole thing is driven by her tertiary introverted feeling. she is pushing it, she is supplying the concentrated collected coalesced feeling to keep us together. whereas i help articulate it, express it, tease it out.

w/ other infjs it is very easy to trust them, but you're both inside out and don't know what is supposed to be directing you as a result. it's great bc you feel fully recognized, and it helps fulfill your needs, but problems remain that you have to contend with.

i think it is possible to stay friends, but you have to have other things on your plate in order for that to work. i think infjs share a very strong connection (all types who share dom functions do), but as a result you should look elsewhere to get your bearings, to get the information you need to slowly discern what you need/want, etc.

That's very helpful, thank you. And you're right. While he and I were very, very close, there was still something that wasn't quite balanced. I think that's where he might be thinking he needs to get away to solve it. I'm not sure.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Either way, you seem to have a lot going on for you. I'm not saying I know you, because I can't say I do. But judging from this topic, I wouldn't be too down about it if I were you.

You will do yourself a huge favor by moving on, instead of staying in a disfunctional relationship, or waiting for someone who might not ever be truely ready. :)

Snow Turtle

You sorta look like Clare from Claymore in your avatar. And that's gotta be the nerdiest comment I made today, but really felt like it.

OMG. You're so totally right! Nice observation!

Anyhow. I've been in the same situation as the guy, me being the one saying I need space and time to myself and couldn't focus on the relationship. For me it was because I honestly believed I didn't deserve the girl. And she deserved someone better than me. I was at the time still struggling with my past. And I was right, I didn't deserve her, because me believing that I didn't deserve her was more then enough to actually not deserve her.

Gotta disagree here. A person that has low self-esteem should push themselves further down by the belief they don't deserve the other person, or that the other person can do better.

As someone who suffered this problem as well. I had a major break through with my INFJ friend. I also advised her the same thing when she had this problem with her new boyfriend, when he tried to pull off the whole "I don't deserve you card" but in that situation he was trying to fob her off.

What I learnt that day...

I shouldn't assume I know what's best for my friend. There's an element of ego/arrogancy involved in the whole idea that she shouldn't be with me. The truth is... She decided that she wanted to be with me for whatever reasons, and the only thing I should have concerned myself about is whether I truthfully want to be together despite my own flaws. She can look after herself.

PS. The feelings of inadaqecy can be so strong that it creates a sense of learned helplessness. Effectively it creates a viscious cycle of desire to fix ourselves, not being able to, hating ourselves for being weak willed (due to our desire to fix ourselves) which further demotivates us.

It's rather complicated really.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, naturally it could mean all kinds of things for all kinds of people. I can only speak from my own experiences. :)

Snow Turtle

Well, naturally it could mean all kinds of things for all kinds of people. I can only speak from my own experiences. :)

To be honest... That's how I felt back then. But I try to maintain objective about the whole thing, and realise that it's sort of an illusion. To me, it would have only served to destroy my self-esteem further with the idea that I "SHOULD" be able to beat my problems and be with her when I was struggling so much.

Looks like you got out the low-self esteem problem though. Assuming here that's what was the cause of your relationship problem back then.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was going through a rough time, story about it is in my blogpost if you really want to know. At the time, I honestly believed I'd never be ready for a relationship myself though.

But yes, I am past that now. :)

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's very helpful, thank you. And you're right. While he and I were very, very close, there was still something that wasn't quite balanced. I think that's where he might be thinking he needs to get away to solve it. I'm not sure.

yeah Ni needs time to sift, sort, take in the Ti impressions, the Fe feeling tones, moods, dreams, etc. i'm kind of frustrated this morning but it's already wearing off. slight changes to the meaning of something, how things fit together, the story, the context, the plot, etc, they reshape how i engage and approach any specific thing in my life. the whole mood changes and different connections light up, seem possible/impossible. it's exhausting to keep up and know if you really have your aim pinpointed properly.

i find it really difficult figuring out what we are supposed to be aiming for. the feeling that others use to guide them, their own subjectively imbibed relationships to things, the feelings that get attached to them on post-it notes, they aren't there for me. i don't remember, i'm constantly asking myself questions of "what SHOULD i do" rather than "what do i WANT"... everything subjectively valued to me seems to come from outside of myself, i can accept or deny the feeling already present within it. the transparency of my own framework of connections that i have built up so far is all that i have to go off of

i don't have total confidence in my ability to extravert, in Fe and Se, to help solve situations in the moment and to avoid hurting others or letting them down as easily. my desires are slower, more recessed, more buried, it takes a while to unpack them.

the most immediate and palpable connection i have is with Ni dom types and more oppositionally with Ne types. Fi and Ti types too give me something to use immediately, to put to work, to JUDGE, to have a sense of something like a foothold to hold on to. Ni it's just about the feeling of understanding, connecting, transparency, potential for very deep communication. but the rest can be a muddle without highly developed highly expressed words, gestures, symbols, etc.