• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP: The Worst Public Speaker?

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I was just thinking about my soon-to-be speech class and how when you make a speech there are a lot of people listening in on you and watching you. Then I wondered what must they be thinking?

INFPs are especially good at interpreting people because of FiNe and, from what I have been told, usually have a strong fear of screwing up. How bad is it seeing all those judging faces? Do you think it's especially bad for you or just as bad as the next person?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I do public speaking, I say what I am forced to say and then leave. It's just as bad as the next person, the keyword here is "public." Why do I care about random stranger's judgments? Sure I'm afraid of screwing up, but that's what practice is for. I usually just find one man or woman in the crowd staring into space and look at them the whole time. I'm only afraid of screwing up around something I care about or people I care about.

Being good or bad at speaking in front of others isn't a type thing... at all. Shyness is a problem that isn't MBTI related.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I hate public speaking. If I have to make a speech I worry about it day and night before the speech, right up to the second before I take the stage. But then, once I do, all that melts away and I just perform. (Not necessarily well. :D ) But, I did original oratory in speech & drama in high school actually and did fairly well. Of course, that's with a prepared speech so it's not spontaneous.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, nervous at first, then it's fine when I actually do it.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Really? I'm not the best conversation starter, but if I prepare a speech, I do a damn good job. (I firmly believe I have an inner ENFP that loves the limelight, which explains why I do stupid things like solo songs and acting and speeches, lol!) But I get really nervous at first. So hm, I dunno, depends on the INFP and the balance of their functions, I guess?

Sorry about the double post!

It might just be the unbalanced INFP, but then again it could be any unbalanced type.
I was just thinking about how my INFP friend said she really couldn't stand doing speeches in front of a class. I understood what she meant but then thought it might be more extreme for her because of her nature to analyze people's feelings.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol, how did I know this was about your INFP friend. :tongue:

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Lol, how did I know this was about your INFP friend. :tongue:

I thought it might be helpful to her if she knew she wasn't alone :yes:

...and her saying that solidified this idea, so I was curious at other people's responses lol

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Like BlackCat said I don't think it's really a type thing either.

If anything, I think if the INFP could somehow put their passion into what they are speaking about they would perform a lot better than the average Joe.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It makes me extremely nervous to speak in front of a group. I pretty much cannot eat for hours before and am totally exhausted afterwards. It's like an out-of-body experience when I am up there too.

Funny, cuz when I was in college I could yell stuff out from the back of the class (I went to a small, informal art school), but put me in front of it... :shock:

I do okay in public speaking though, as long as I am very well rehearsed & have a script. I am not very articulate in speaking otherwise, mainly because my thoughts are not naturally organized.

Although, in debate, I always did well even with points brought up that I did not anticipate.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
public speaking isn't my favorite thing, and i am usually very nervous about it, but i tend to do a decent job once my face cools down a bit.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I was just thinking about my soon-to-be speech class and how when you make a speech there are a lot of people listening in on you and watching you. Then I wondered what must they be thinking?

INFPs are especially good at interpreting people because of FiNe and, from what I have been told, usually have a strong fear of screwing up. How bad is it seeing all those judging faces? Do you think it's especially bad for you or just as bad as the next person?
If the INFP is the worst public speaker, it follows the ESTJ is the best public speaker.
No way.

The ENFP is the best public speaker. The INFP is not far behind.

Judgement is subjective.
Acceptance is objective.

Fear trusts the other.
Courage trusts oneself.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
If the INFP is the worst public speaker, it follows the ESTJ is the best public speaker.
No way.

The ENFP is the best public speaker. The INFP is not far behind.

Judgement is subjective.
Acceptance is objective.

Fear trusts the other.
Courage trusts oneself.

I agree with ENFP part. :laugh:

I mean, the best teached I ever had was one ENFP guy who had incredible good lessons at university. I know his type because he had the ENFP description in his webpages. :smile:

...I'm not as sure that I'm a great public spaker...

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suspect we have one of the steepest learning curves, but I also think INFPs can make awesome public speakers. It's hard to go wrong once we learn how to direct our passion, energy, and humor towards a crowd.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
any type can be the worst public speaker.

and im taking public speaking now. at first i hated it because i hate standing in front of people but then i realized it is 5 minutes that people are forced to listen to my opinion on things. ever since then ive tried to do everything i can as a public speaker to make it interesting for my audience, so they will actually listen.
the first sentence is not true. if it where then ISFP would be a better candidate for the thread anyway because of Se. technically any type, for one reason or another, could fit into that spot. obviously there are some candidates that are more likely then others, admittedly. now, personally i dont care about "all of those judging faces". if they dont like it...well hell, im not ever going to see them again and what are they going to do, walk up to the podium and cut my head off? of course not so who cares. if i go into a speech assuming they will like it, this alters my way of giving the speech for the better, and people, from what i can tell, always like it. ive seen people go up and they obviously are bothered by what people think and their speech reflects that simple fact.

as a side note, the only person that dropped out of the class was an ISFJ. the last speech she gave she was so embarrassed that she was sweating under her arms. the day after she withdrew from the class.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
...and im taking public speaking now. at first i hated it because i hate standing in front of people but then i realized it is 5 minutes that people are forced to listen to my opinion on things. ever since then ive tried to do everything i can as a public speaker to make it interesting for my audience, so they will actually listen.

I dig the bolded portion of your response above. Personally, I looooove public speaking. Give me an audience, and I will begin talking, entertaining, whatever. Many times in the past folks who have been less than thrilled about taking a public speaking class have asked me for advice as to how to get through it.

The advice I have always given is to choose a topic that you identify with, that you have some passion for, that you believe in, and it will be easier to deliver that material, because you already know it well, and you have positive thoughts about it.

Your attitude about having the audience's attention for 5 minutes, and can deliver your opinions on things during that time, gives additional impetus to use that time wisely and rise to the occasion, as your fears take a back seat to your performance.

Good stuff Bro! :nice:

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
:doh: I didn't notice the thread was over here now! Reposting:

Really? I'm not the best conversation starter, but if I prepare a speech, I do a damn good job. (I firmly believe I have an inner ENFP that loves the limelight, which explains why I do stupid things like solo songs and acting and speeches, lol!) But I get really nervous at first. So hm, I dunno, depends on the INFP and the balance of their functions, I guess?

And now that I've read this thread, I'd like to add that public speaking probably isn't really a type thing, like BlackCat said. Some people like speeches, some don't. Some people like rollercoasters, some don't. Some people will eat calamari, some wouldn't dare. It's more a personal thing that type can influence but not decide. Hm.

But your INFP friend isn't alone--I know plenty of people (some who are E's!) who hate public speaking with a fiery passion. ;)

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm in acting classes. I love to perform. I'm naturally quiet but I'm definitely not shy and there's nothing more exciting to me than "being someone else for five minutes to an hour".(I discovered that with acting :D!)
Funny though, it's an entirely different story when I'm in front of people in my school. I'm guessing it's just the environment.(They seem hostile! :()

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to be a very good public speaker. (Sorry if it sounds a bit confident, but I did a lot of public speaking when I was younger.)
I have some tips, if your friend would like that, but I can't help with the nervousness bit. I always did have to throw up before I did anything like that, but I know some tricks for not getting stage fright.