User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

It makes me extremely nervous to speak in front of a group. I pretty much cannot eat for hours before and am totally exhausted afterwards. It's like an out-of-body experience when I am up there too.

Funny, cuz when I was in college I could yell stuff out from the back of the class (I went to a small, informal art school), but put me in front of it...

I do okay in public speaking though, as long as I am very well rehearsed & have a script. I am not very articulate in speaking otherwise, mainly because my thoughts are not naturally organized.

Although, in debate, I always did well even with points brought up that I did not anticipate.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

public speaking isn't my favorite thing, and i am usually very nervous about it, but i tend to do a decent job once my face cools down a bit.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Azseroffs View Post
    I was just thinking about my soon-to-be speech class and how when you make a speech there are a lot of people listening in on you and watching you. Then I wondered what must they be thinking?

INFPs are especially good at interpreting people because of FiNe and, from what I have been told, usually have a strong fear of screwing up. How bad is it seeing all those judging faces? Do you think it's especially bad for you or just as bad as the next person?
    If the INFP is the worst public speaker, it follows the ESTJ is the best public speaker.
    No way.

The ENFP is the best public speaker. The INFP is not far behind.

Judgement is subjective.
    Acceptance is objective.

Fear trusts the other.
    Courage trusts oneself.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    If the INFP is the worst public speaker, it follows the ESTJ is the best public speaker.
    No way.

The ENFP is the best public speaker. The INFP is not far behind.

Judgement is subjective.
    Acceptance is objective.

Fear trusts the other.
    Courage trusts oneself.
    I agree with ENFP part.

I mean, the best teached I ever had was one ENFP guy who had incredible good lessons at university. I know his type because he had the ENFP description in his webpages.

...I'm not as sure that I'm a great public spaker...

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I suspect we have one of the steepest learning curves, but I also think INFPs can make awesome public speakers. It's hard to go wrong once we learn how to direct our passion, energy, and humor towards a crowd.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

any type can be the worst public speaker.

and im taking public speaking now. at first i hated it because i hate standing in front of people but then i realized it is 5 minutes that people are forced to listen to my opinion on things. ever since then ive tried to do everything i can as a public speaker to make it interesting for my audience, so they will actually listen.
    INFPs are especially good at interpreting people because of FiNe and, from what I have been told, usually have a strong fear of screwing up. How bad is it seeing all those judging faces? Do you think it's especially bad for you or just as bad as the next person?
    the first sentence is not true. if it where then ISFP would be a better candidate for the thread anyway because of Se. technically any type, for one reason or another, could fit into that spot. obviously there are some candidates that are more likely then others, admittedly. now, personally i dont care about "all of those judging faces". if they dont like it...well hell, im not ever going to see them again and what are they going to do, walk up to the podium and cut my head off? of course not so who cares. if i go into a speech assuming they will like it, this alters my way of giving the speech for the better, and people, from what i can tell, always like it. ive seen people go up and they obviously are bothered by what people think and their speech reflects that simple fact.

as a side note, the only person that dropped out of the class was an ISFJ. the last speech she gave she was so embarrassed that she was sweating under her arms. the day after she withdrew from the class.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    ...and im taking public speaking now. at first i hated it because i hate standing in front of people but then i realized it is 5 minutes that people are forced to listen to my opinion on things. ever since then ive tried to do everything i can as a public speaker to make it interesting for my audience, so they will actually listen.
    I dig the bolded portion of your response above. Personally, I looooove public speaking. Give me an audience, and I will begin talking, entertaining, whatever. Many times in the past folks who have been less than thrilled about taking a public speaking class have asked me for advice as to how to get through it.

The advice I have always given is to choose a topic that you identify with, that you have some passion for, that you believe in, and it will be easier to deliver that material, because you already know it well, and you have positive thoughts about it.

Your attitude about having the audience's attention for 5 minutes, and can deliver your opinions on things during that time, gives additional impetus to use that time wisely and rise to the occasion, as your fears take a back seat to your performance.

Good stuff Bro!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

I didn't notice the thread was over here now! Reposting:

Really? I'm not the best conversation starter, but if I prepare a speech, I do a damn good job. (I firmly believe I have an inner ENFP that loves the limelight, which explains why I do stupid things like solo songs and acting and speeches, lol!) But I get really nervous at first. So hm, I dunno, depends on the INFP and the balance of their functions, I guess?

And now that I've read this thread, I'd like to add that public speaking probably isn't really a type thing, like BlackCat said. Some people like speeches, some don't. Some people like rollercoasters, some don't. Some people will eat calamari, some wouldn't dare. It's more a personal thing that type can influence but not decide. Hm.

But your INFP friend isn't alone--I know plenty of people (some who are E's!) who hate public speaking with a fiery passion.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    INFP

I'm in acting classes. I love to perform. I'm naturally quiet but I'm definitely not shy and there's nothing more exciting to me than "being someone else for five minutes to an hour".(I discovered that with acting !)
    Funny though, it's an entirely different story when I'm in front of people in my school. I'm guessing it's just the environment.(They seem hostile! )
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I used to be a very good public speaker. (Sorry if it sounds a bit confident, but I did a lot of public speaking when I was younger.)
    I have some tips, if your friend would like that, but I can't help with the nervousness bit. I always did have to throw up before I did anything like that, but I know some tricks for not getting stage fright.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]