• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP's and the effects of music :)

cheerchick23

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ne
do you enfp's get as affected by music as i do?

music always a relationship with my mood. i listen to a sad song and it puts me in a very peaceful, somber, mood.... when i'm feelin rebellious i blast my angry music and dance around shouting the lyrics.... right now im playing some soft hippie "campfire" music and i feel oh so relaxed and earthy and barefoot :)

music is sometimes the ONLY thing that can heal me from a bad funk, when no one seems to know how to talk me out of it. music always is able to get me pumped up, or calmed down, or anything else!

so tell me your thoughts about music :) anything or everything about music and you. :hug:

i just want to hear from some of my ENFP buddies because i feel we might have some weird different special perspectives that only an ENFP can provide :) you know, get a little more out there than just "i like this song. i do not like that song." i'm quite sure this applies to many other types as well, but i want to hear from my own species. ;) hehe.

today's the day to bring out your ENFPliciousness. tell me of your wonderful thoughts on music music music. be as broad or specific as you like! :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yes i do...i have all the windows open and it's a gorgeous breezy day and i have old 70's music on...sitting here having an ice cream and i have that comfortable cozy feeling like when i was a kid. :)

and the other night it was cool and rainy all day...and i was feeling a bit bummed about something and i listened to this one miles davis track over and over while i took a nap on the couch

and when i clean my house...i like to turn up house music super loud and drink lots of coffee...

or...i can be driving down the road and an old song will come on the radio and i have to turn it up and sing really loud and then i'm in a really great mood...i love that...music in the car...windows down...it's the best.

is this the sort of rambling you were talking about?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi users generally use music as a tool to influence their moods, whether conscious of this or unconscious. We are effected my the music in a sense that it changes our mood (if we want it to). It's not just ENFPs.

cheerchick23

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ne
erinavery: YES perfect ;) and +1 to the car thing :)

blackcat: i know it's not just an ENFP thing.
i'm quite sure this applies to many other types as well, but i want to hear from my own species.
but i just want to hear some ENFP opinions! :)

LunaIndigo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh I am always listening to my iPod, in fact I get a little irritated if I haven't listened to it in a while. When I need my down time, I pop in the ear buds and got to listening. I generally use my shuffel to try to randomly get the perfect song to listen to at the time. But if my iPod doesn't get to the "perfect" song fast enough I get irritated with it and yell at my iPod. Of course then I feel bad and apologize to my iPod, but by then I'm in a completely different mood so I have to start all over. Sigh.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I go insane if I can't access my music. For some reason, it's just incredibly therapeutic for me, helps me focus my thoughts whether happy or upset. It makes me feel like there's something resonating with my soul, like another person ( the person making the music ) is on the same frequency as I am, and it gives me a communal feeling, like I'm not alone with my thoughts.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi users generally use music as a tool to influence their moods, whether conscious of this or unconscious. We are effected my the music in a sense that it changes our mood (if we want it to). It's not just ENFPs.

it's really interesting i think to try to understand the way the cognitive functions work musically.

i think Fi users use it to jog their emotions and start spurring themselves to explore their feelings (already present).

Fe users use it to become it, merge with it, define and shape and articulate externally. it really is soundtrack for me bc life is hollow and empty internally without said merging, without the colors reflected off the surfaces of the earth, etc. i need that REFLECTION to show me what i feel (motivation!), what i am (value!), what is stirring deeply within.

It makes me feel like there's something resonating with my soul, like another person ( the person making the music ) is on the same frequency as I am, and it gives me a communal feeling, like I'm not alone with my thoughts.

i read this great article in the ny times about art and religion. art as this articulated symbol that opens up a space for a community to cohere, commune, communicate. i love the feeling at a show like sigur ros or something of the sort when the audience is a sea of people all being washed and bathed and pummeled by this like bioluminscent sound echoing against the walls, bodies, lights, etc. all polarized like a magnet drowned in the ether, all giving to and holding up and adding a little extra light, volume, weight to the projection on stage in front of us.

i find a very similar feeling in this typology project, in literature and film, mythology, poetry, etc. there is an explosive emotional burst or pop of inspiration when people get together and believe deeply in something, even if it IS inside a symbol. like it's a sketch of us that we all get to uniquely finish our own way.

LadyJaye

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i read this great article in the ny times about art and religion. art as this articulated symbol that opens up a space for a community to cohere, commune, communicate. i love the feeling at a show like sigur ros or something of the sort when the audience is a sea of people all being washed and bathed and pummeled by this like bioluminscent sound echoing against the walls, bodies, lights, etc. all polarized like a magnet drowned in the ether, all giving to and holding up and adding a little extra light, volume, weight to the projection on stage in front of us.

i find a very similar feeling in this typology project, in literature and film, mythology, poetry, etc. there is an explosive emotional burst or pop of inspiration when people get together and believe deeply in something, even if it IS inside a symbol. like it's a sketch of us that we all get to uniquely finish our own way.

I think symbols actually assist us in defining our feelings about whatever it represents. I had been feeling futile about the world, like why should I bother to .... this or that.... if it all ends the same way ultimately. But then I realised that the people I look up to and admire, they all had to succeed in order to be seen by me, and therefore their efforts did matter and did effect a change. Music and art are these sorts of things to me - an artist might create something because it simply makes him happy, but to someone else who sees it, it might be the moment they needed to turn a corner in their lives. I appreciate the sense of shared experiences with those who create art or music. It fosters an environment of sharing, of generosity with others about their feelings.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think symbols actually assist us in defining our feelings about whatever it represents. I had been feeling futile about the world, like why should I bother to .... this or that.... if it all ends the same way ultimately. But then I realised that the people I look up to and admire, they all had to succeed in order to be seen by me, and therefore their efforts did matter and did effect a change. Music and art are these sorts of things to me - an artist might create something because it simply makes him happy, but to someone else who sees it, it might be the moment they needed to turn a corner in their lives. I appreciate the sense of shared experiences with those who create art or music. It fosters an environment of sharing, of generosity with others about their feelings.

definitely. sketching is but one way of putting it. symbols (language included!) are ways of creating and mapping context, exploring systemic relationships, bouncing around a large inter-textual discourse, etc. representation is a process by which the connections between things, the context, determines what specific meaning and usage will result. it's like cellular automata. it gives a strangely breathing ebb and flow to the process of creating meaning, a future adaptibility, a virtual pool to transform itself and actualize new expressions and fresh ideas inherent in the muddle of meaning.

and i agree wholeheartedly. i felt really good when i discovered mb bc it helped me feel like i understood my purpose as relates to my specific gifts, my highest good, what i can offer that is most uniquely and talentedly me. if you start from the ground up, maybe the world doesn't need quite as much connection, colour, and composition. but having them now and being as grateful for them as anything else in the world, we gotta do our part to keep them going, keep articulating and expressing and discovering new relationships, new meanings, feelings, expressions, etc. cultural production is where human life and art intersect. a good reason to be. and a necessary counterbalancing weight to the sometimes frightening coldness of the world.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yes. I do. :) Very muchso. I'm a music whore, and my relationship with music spans from a simple hip beat to something that moves me so much I can't always listen to it.

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
haha, music whore, I like that....now ladies, slut up!

What kind of music do you like? How many ENFP's listen to euro metal, surprise me if you find any who listen to nothing but. I'm just assuming you ENFP's like pop music and stuff that you've identified with. How many have Sarah McLachlan on the ipod right now, raise your hands?

LadyJaye

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It must be The Clash. I'll have none of your cruddy euro metal.

Man, the ENFP's should make a playlist! :D

I'll give the Top Ten I'm listening to right now:

The Clash ( this includes Joe with the Mescelaros)
The Jam
The Cure
Duran Duran
Pat Benatar
Billy Idol
Cyndi Lauper
Bruce Springsteen
pre 1995 U2 ( from Achtung Baby, back )
Etta James

cheerchick23

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ne
hahaha music whore what a perfect perfect way to put it :) i am such a music whore!

I love alllll types of music (ok well ALMOST all types). there's almost nothing i won't at least give a chance to. it's so varied that right now my itunes is shuffling and i just went to some hippie swaying music to this crazy power pop lol! i love it all.

and ++++1 to the comment about the communal feeling of music, not being alone with your thoughts.... i have always wondered if someone else felt that way! as an enfp i allllways have to be in constant contact with people and community and the world, and it's like music is this sweet beautiful web connecting it all, even when i am lonely and bored. music is my bestest friendy friend :)

cheerchick23

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ne
Nice playlist, Jaye :)

right now i'm kind of addicted to Iron & Wine. they have such a cool vibe... makes me want to roast marshmallows and braid my hair.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you know...might be a bit depressing to bring up...but recently went through something major and i used music as therapy...like it helped get it out or something...putting words and tone to thoughts or something...and then some of it helped bring me out of it a bit...for about a month after i was this weird girl with earphones on all the time...i needed it...i needed to be distracted from everything else and in that place...so...yeah...very much a part of me and helps me feel things...hard things that i tend to push aside.

don't quote this i may delete it....i don't usually like to be so personal.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
What music though? What kind is the common thread between you ENFP's?

cheerchick23

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ne
i have no idea if there is a common thread. anyone else want to chime in?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmmm...i can't imagine there really is one.

i like all sorts of music...maybe we all do. i don't know if it's common that we all have many many sides to us and like to pick music to match that...??

i also think a lot of us may like things others don't like...or different or unique music...edgy?? also... emotional... something with soul...or something with a great beat or something that puts us in a great mood...hmm...probably like everyone...i guess i don't know. :blush:

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Then let's make it a little more personal, what bands do you listen to you, top ten, and if that's too personal, ball park garden variety genre's. I'll go first, I like U2, Barenaked Ladies, Tomi Swick, Matt Wertz, Joshua Radin, John Mayer, Jason Mraz, Bon Iver, Greg Laswell, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Sting, Van Morrison, and a plethora more.

Oh, and I don't listen to Sonata Arctica and such metal, I was just checking to see if any ENFP's did, just doesn't seem likely, I don't know how they'd connect with it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i know some guy enfps that like metal...like stypg
i like some older metalish stuff...is it metal? or just hard rock?? idk...but i love black sabath, metalica, some pantera...but really love older folky music like bob dylan, nick drake...and newer folk music like ray lamontagne, amos lee, mason jennings...love ben harper, jack johnson...love the kooks, love ray charles...the beatles...miles davis, john coltrane, stevie nicks, love classical...opera...house music...okay...i guess that's enough :blush: