User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you like fictional psychopaths?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, psychopaths are awesome.

19 33.33%
  • No, psychopaths are scary, evil (whatever else).

20 35.09%
  • Impartial, I am a psychopath.

18 31.58%
First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by ConchShell View Post
    Must be the ENFP trait of wanting to have a finger in every pie. The hating to turn down opportunities part of the ENFP. Like 'This person might be a bit creepy, but sure I'll give them a chance. Let's see how things turn out and what happens.' Can open up good new experiences or it can go the other way.

Can't remember who said on one of these boards somewhere that it's so much fun to lead an ENFP astray because you can knock on their door at two in the morning and they'll still be up for an adventure. Saying no to interesting possibilities is very difficult.
    This is true of ENTP as well.

As for the thread topic...I've had a mad crush on Hannibal Lecter since I was like...8. He's my Mr. Darcy that no mortal man will ever live up to.

MBTI
    ENFP

ENFP and ENTP. Also said to be the two types who are most suited to teaching careers. Don't know if that has any link with psychopaths but I'm sure I could come up with one! Anything can be linked up if you try hard enough.

Lasting_Pain

I assume anyone with an imaginative side would find something intriguing about a psychopath, or even a serial killer if you would like to get specific.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ConchShell View Post
    Must be the ENFP trait of wanting to have a finger in every pie.
    yum, pie!

i don't really have any particular affinity for psychopaths. but i do have that little lingering shimmer of "well maybe if i just got through to them, they would FEEL". its not fair to me and very sad that there is that like... core element (at least core to me) missing.

These poll results are so hysterically ENFP... I appear to have voted in favor of psychopaths but apparently 1/3 of my fellow ENFPs actually are psychopaths.

(Is psychopathy like being crazy, in that if you think you are crazy, you are likely very sane, but if you are certain you are sane, well, you might just be crazy?)

On a side note:

Psychopath or an INTJ who's gone to the dark side (Part 2)

Coincidence?

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Wild horses View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA well don't ENFPs like everyone and find them interesting! I know I do... Especially new people.... something shiny about them... Ahhh just call me a magpie and be done with it
    Yep, sad but true! As I have got older I have gotten better at ejecting psychopaths from my life sooner rather than later. They used to be interesting because I did not understand them... unfortunately now I know a lot more about them, I know they can hurt me and I no longer find anything of interest about them.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Maybe ENFPs believe they're The Ones who can reach your friendly neighborhood psychopath?
    The inexperienced ones do. Most of the experienced ones are those that got out alive...sometimes only just. I am speaking from personal experience of an association with very scary psychopath (not sociopath). Has taken me years to trust people again. I got sucked in good and proper until it was too late (when I started to learn more about what he had done to people) and my Fi kicked in. He was stepping on my values and I felt I had to challenge him to protect others...not a good idea! So now I just stay away in the first place. Nasty pasty people. I know it is not necessarily their fault but I am not the personality type best suited to deal with them, no matter how idealistically I wish I could help them. No point telling less experienced ENFP's to stay away, I doubt I would have. In fact I know I would not have. Some of it is desire to befriend the different ( empathy perhaps) and some is ego driven by the challenge to change them for the good.

On the other hand I know lots of people with mental health problems and a little bit of craziness does not bother me as long as they are safe :-)

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

A person with antisocial personality disorder does not,
    cannot, and will not ever love you.

Today we use the term antisocial personality disorder
    to describe the sociopath/psychopath.

And it has nothing to do with personality type.

Ps. I'm surprised that so many of you "knows" what antisocial personality disorder is, and can "pinpoint" who has personality disorder. Don't make me laugh. I bet you, if this forum even had five people with antisocial personality disorder, you wouldn't even know it because they wouldn't tell you about it. It's not untill you're locked up in their house for a year you'll be able to notice that they're in fact raving lunatics. I don't mean to burst EVERYONE's bubble or anything, but I can't stress the truth enough. You wouldn't know. Speaking out of experience.

MBTI
    ENFP

[QUOTE=angell_m;1243303]A person with antisocial personality disorder does not,
    cannot, and will not ever love you.

Today we use the term antisocial personality disorder
    to describe the sociopath/psychopath.

And it has nothing to do with personality type.

Ps. I'm surprised that so many of you "knows" what antisocial personality disorder is, and can "pinpoint" who has personality disorder. Don't make me laugh. I bet you, if this forum even had five people with antisocial personality disorder, you wouldn't even know it because they wouldn't tell you about it. It's not untill you're locked up in their house for a year you'll be able to notice that they're in fact raving lunatics. I don't mean to burst EVERYONE's bubble or anything, but I can't stress the truth enough. You wouldn't know. Speaking out of experience.[/QUOTE

I think you are totally right. I was using the language that others were using and that is commonly used to describe people in movies. Obviously, there is a whole heap of distinctions and terminology out there around personality disorders. There is heated debate and discussions ensuing with the compiling of the new DSMV for psychiatric diagnosis . Some things that that now would classify someone as having a "Borderline Personality Disorder" will be syphoned into new definitions. For example, many people who are currently classified as having BPD may mainly have a problem with emotional regulation and not some of the other criteria. They will be "classified" as having an Emotional Regulation Disorder (or whatever they are going to call it). The reason for many of these labels in the first place is for medical insurance and heck we are all here cause "labels" help us find a way through the complicated world of relationships and relating. But as is often pointed out here too... labels are not everything. I think that as society understands more about the brain and what constitutes wellbeing, hopefully, things like medication and psychological therapies may get a little more targeted towards individual distinct need. Obviously, this is a mind field of debate. I do thank you for pointing out that use of labels and naming of things. Please know that often I am just hanging out here letting my opinions out and often use everyday language.

MBTI
    ENFP