• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF's: Have you ever been called 'too sensitive'?

bearette

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
just remember, "too sensitive" is relative.

NFs are in the minority and are indeed probably more sensitive than others...but that sensitivity is needed in the world. not to toot our own horns, but NFs are often some of the visionaries of the world- writers, artists, and inspiring leaders. this means we need to be more sensitive. Being more sensitive than the general population often makes every day life challenging, but it also enables us to see and feel things others may not.

(i hope this doesn't sound arrogant)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
No, I haven't really..I can be too sensative, though. I think it must be because of my Fi secondary function next to my Primary Ne, which doesn't let me openly express my feelings all of the time. I feel more inwardly, it's deeper. I have a poorly developed Fe, which would lead to someone being called 'too sensative'.

OregonENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Funniest random crying episode..... I was watching a youtube video of this super cute in love married couple giving a review on something and I totally started crying. haha.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Usually I hold my hyper-sensitivity in so mostly people don't see it. Its just embarrasing how sensitive I am. On occasion it escapes though...

I used to get teased A LOT at school. One day in year 8 (I think this is equivalent to 7th grade) a guy teased me about something. For some reason I particularly reacted to it and ended up crying in the toilets :blushing: A nice girl from my class found me and told the teacher. At parent-teacher interviews my teacher (whom I otherwise liked) told my mother that I'm "too sensitive at times".

:ng_mad::steam::ng_mad:

I felt like punching him in the face. I put up with endless sh*t on a daily frickin' basis for years and I cry once and I'm "too sensitive"?

:dry: Not impressed - at all.

Its like people know you're a NF and are just waiting for you to be over-sensitive about something so they can use it as a weapon against you. I mean, how dare I give a f*ck and show it? :shock:

sculpting

I am too sensitive to things but have learned to put a tough face on it over the years.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've used the term that I'm sensitive to stuff to describe myself to friends though the too sensitive part isn't what comes to mind. I've been called a softie though.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Hm. Sensitive yes. Too sensitive no. I almost never cry and when I do it's just random tears rolling(well there's also the other not so pleasant ones).
It takes a lot to make me cry even if I'm pretty emotional "underneath it all". I could probably play a practical joke on the day of a relative's death and smile politely all day long. Not because I am not feeling anything:)shock: I'm a human being, I'm just really self-controlled).
I just really know how to "cover things up" but they tend to resurface later on.
The one thing I am called is unemotional by people who don't know me. Those who do know me know it's the complete opposite.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Hm. Sensitive yes. Too sensitive no. I almost never cry and when I do it's just random tears rolling(well there's also the other not so pleasant ones).
It takes a lot to make me cry even if I'm pretty emotional "underneath it all". I could probably play a practical joke on the day of a relative's death and smile politely all day long. Not because I am not feeling anything:)shock: I'm a human being, I'm just really self-controlled).
I just really know how to "cover things up" but they tend to resurface later on.
The one thing I am called is unemotional by people who don't know me. Those who do know me know it's the complete opposite.

Luckyyyyy. I cry at everything. Books, movies, you name it. I also cry if I've been arguing with someone and gotten really worked up over it. It's embarrassing; I usually have to leave the room. Especially if it refers to injustice, because I've got this idea in my head that people are deep down nice and good, and those actions try and prove my bleeding heart wrong. Which I don't appreciate, thank you.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Luckyyyyy. I cry at everything. Books, movies, you name it. I also cry if I've been arguing with someone and gotten really worked up over it. It's embarrassing; I usually have to leave the room. Especially if it refers to injustice, because I've got this idea in my head that people are deep down nice and good, and those actions try and prove my bleeding heart wrong. Which I don't appreciate, thank you.

Oh no, frustration and confrontation make me crack as well.

Yelling and arguing scare the shit out of my wimpy pants. I also cry out of anger(that's the not so pleasant crying, it's actually physically painful: EW! I've been told I look like I've been beaten up afterward.)
I cry differently for different feelings, I've also cried of happiness. That's the best one for sure.:yes:

Actually, I tend to have the unexpressed residue come up in inappropriate situations later on. I like your way better :laugh:.

I have the opposite thought : "I knew you were all dogs!"=>:cry:It's also embarrassing because it makes me seem like such a melo-dramatic moron.:laugh:

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
Its like people know you're a NF and are just waiting for you to be over-sensitive about something so they can use it as a weapon against you. I mean, how dare I give a f*ck and show it? :shock:

Exactly.
It's almost comical how sensitivity is considered a weakness.

Hap

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
ENFJ
I've never been called too sensitive, but I am.

I have developed a thick skin that hides my vulnerability very well.

Me too, very similar.

Sometimes, i hate being sensitive,bc it makes me suffering and also causes lots of unnecessary troubles to others. now, I am on my way to leanring how to hide my sensitive.

another hypotheses is maybe just bc NFs are foresight, we can perceive something others can't.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
When I was a child I could have been deemed as too sensitive. I often took offense at things, I was also quite serious some of the time, however, during my teenage years I became the opposite and (Not sure if it was learnt) I began to let things sail over my head. Also during this time I used my inner world as a sanctum and a great place to regroup and discover a sense of peace. I think that also there is the fact that I do not like conflict, this means that I am less likely to get sketchy with someone over something they have said or done, however, I rarely feel that way inside anyhow :D

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I would have been called hyper sensitive for much of my life and I agree. I was a super emotional emo teenager and my environment was not very supportive. However, I wasn't too reactive - meaning I was never a crybaby or one to pout or sulk or throw tantrums for attention. I could shake off a lot or not be too affected in the first place. However, in my own way, I was super hyper sensitive and not really given or taught the tools to healthy expression and acceptance. I had to learn than mostly on my own.

Now, older and wiser, I'm still sensitive and I'm proud of it because I think I'm more balanced. I think I've learned in the larger scheme of things what is appropriate for myself, what is me being a little much, and what is me being a little much but still "okay". It's hard reconciling how you naturally react to things with your sense of social boundaries and context, rights and responsibilities, personal ethics, values, etc.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I can relate to this entirely. I've never been called too sensitive, and I wouldn't consider myself that at all.

^ To be quite frank and blunt, I thought you were being extremely sensitive when CaptainChick started talking about more mature (sexual in nature) topics out loud and you quite literally recoiled at the conversation topic being presented.

Even if you don't think that's what happened, your reaction has us thinking that there's no way we can present a sexual topic in your direction due to your sensitivity (something that doesn't make sense to me since your humor seems to be very sexual in nature here on the board.)

Sensitivity is relative.. I don't want to think I am sensitive either, but you have to acknowledge that you are. (Everyone is.. It just depends on how.)

Not to mention, it seems a lot of NF males try to put up this front on not being the typical feeler that they are. You're not the first I've witnessed that was MORE sensitive than me, and less likely to express it due to their supposed gender roles.

^ :blush: I can definitely relate to this. I always get so pissed off when people joke and shoot-the-bull with me.. but then cross a line and I let them know just to ensure they know where my boundaries are.. and instead of looking at it as a good thing, they flip out (heaven forbid it's THEM that's flawed) and suddenly never want to talk to you again.

Exactly.

^ :yes:

Everyone has buttons. And everyone has soft spots. Someone having buttons in different places in comparison to another individual is suddenly perceived as being sensitive.

People are bad at admitting they're wrong, in any sense of the word.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
^ To be quite frank and blunt, I thought you were being extremely sensitive when CaptainChick started talking about more mature (sexual in nature) topics out loud and you quite literally recoiled at the conversation topic being presented.

Even if you don't think that's what happened, your reaction has us thinking that there's no way we can present a sexual topic in your direction due to your sensitivity (something that doesn't make sense to me since your humor seems to be very sexual in nature here on the board.)

Sensitivity is relative.. I don't want to think I am sensitive either, but you have to acknowledge that you are. (Everyone is.. It just depends on how.)

Not to mention, it seems a lot of NF males try to put up this front on not being the typical feeler that they are. You're not the first I've witnessed that was MORE sensitive than me, and less likely to express it due to their supposed gender roles.

Everyone has buttons. And everyone has soft spots. Someone having buttons in different places in comparison to another individual is suddenly perceived as being sensitive.

People are bad at admitting they're wrong, in any sense of the word.

What can I say? Except. :yes:

sade

Exactly.

True.
I do remember someone once metioning to me that they wished to be more sensitive, to emotions and experiencing things and in the intensity, because it would give stronger experiences of things. In that sense it could be considered a strenght.
But qualities that are perceived as more masculine are usually more appreciated; in girls and boys. Atleast by what I've noticed.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5

No, some having MORE buttons than others, and in unusual places, is perceived as being sensitive. If someone is sensitive to, say, politically incorrect humor...okay, that's fine. Taken alone, it's not enough on its own to deem someone overly sensitive. People have different buttons, like you said. I, for instance, am sensitive (if that's what you can call it) to crude gender humor in the sense that it offends my sensibilities when I hear it, and I have an emotional (albeit slight) reaction to it by becoming irritated.

But when the number of things that a person is sensitive about exceeds a certain point (for instance when the person becomes the "see no evil, hear no evil" type), then I think it is fair to call that person sensitive. I have met quite a few people whose number of buttons were ridiculously high, to the point that I could not discuss or have fun about anything with them. That is what (I at least) consider to be overly sensitive.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, no. I guess I am sensitive (not hyper though), but I usually keep it under wraps. I have been called gentle though. haha