User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Default Emotional Challenges

Some people like intellectual challenges and others like to test their physical abilities.

Do any NFs look for or put themselves into situations that will stretch their emotional boundaries? This could be personally or interpersonally. This doesn't exclusively mean dealing with difficult people (although it can) or putting yourself in an unhealthy or destructive place, but rather testing yourself and your emotional limitations. Basically, when others may quit and throw in the towel, do you soldier on not because of another person, but because you want to know if you'll survive?

Yeah, I can't think of any examples so feel free to give me some.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Oh God, please no! I'd rather take a beating.

I want to solve emotional/interpersonal stuff so that it gets all peaceful and I can feel happy contented feelings, not all the unpleasant, scary ones.

I have no doubt in my mind that I am strong and can get through all manner of crap. I don't need anymore proof. Bring on the peace and love.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Yuck! Why would you deliberately stress yourself out by creating/stepping into an overly emotional environment? It doesn't seem like something a sane NF will do... at least not introverted NFs anyways, I'm not certain about extroverts. I am willing to explore different boundaries of emotions, but those are mostly self-enquiries. Actually now that I think about it perhaps it is the difference between I/E. Introverts prefer to explore emotions from within while extroverts like experiencing it from other people?

MBTI
    infp

Never really thought about. Life itself is sort of a challenge... sounds like an interesting idea...

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

I don't think we seek it out on a conscious level, yet I think somehow it just finds us.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Enneagram
    1w2

I'm not saying stress yourself out, who wants to deal with that?! I'm saying knowing your limits. Take grief counselors for example. Why do they do it? Psychiatrists/psychologists deal with people all the time, and most of them have some sort of problem they need solved.

Their are occupations that deal with this issue all the time, but on an individual level people are thinking it's nothing but stress?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That's funny. I'm not NF, but I find psychiatry fascinating, because I'm less focused on my feelings there and more focused on understanding and resolving the issue.

Also, those emotions are not being directed at ME specifically, I'm essentially a "third party" -- so I can discount them pretty easily.

So it's an opportunity to not just help someone find their way / nurture them, but also a chance to explore and understand and see the bigger picture of human beings and how they work.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I'm not saying stress yourself out, who wants to deal with that?! I'm saying knowing your limits. Take grief counselors for example. Why do they do it? Psychiatrists/psychologists deal with people all the time, and most of them have some sort of problem they need solved.

Their are occupations that deal with this issue all the time, but on an individual level people are thinking it's nothing but stress?
    Wouldn't that be more about caring about other people enough that you put your on comfort aside in order to try to help?

I don't consider that something I'd do as a challenge to my own emotional resilience. My confidence in my resilience might be what I would trust to get me through. Is that what you're talking about?

Edit: And untying inter- and intra-personal knots does involve a level of empathy, but to me, it is also an intellectual exercise.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post

Stress may be part of it... But then there is good stress and bad stress.
    I am always pushing my limits in a sense. Looking for understanding, asking myself questions, challenging myself to remain fair and open minded.

I don't like to take my emotions at face value. I need to know why I feel something... Life has had many emotional challenges...

Have you ever specifically searched for an emotional challenge? Are you thinking of doing so?

ps. are you aware that your baby is smoking?

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Alienclock View Post
    Stress may be part of it... But then there is good stress and bad stress.
    I am always pushing my limits in a sense. Looking for understanding, asking myself questions, challenging myself to remain fair and open minded.

I don't like to take my emotions at face value. I need to know why I feel something... Life has had many emotional challenges...

Have you ever specifically searched for an emotional challenge? Are you thinking of doing so?

ps. are you aware that your baby is smoking?
    No I'm not actually, I was just wondering if taking on the hardest professor in you college, or climbing Mount Everest is the same thing as willingly accepting a mentally ill patient.