User Tag List

View Poll Results: whats the general nature of people...NT perspective

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • people are all good, they just have some bad habits and tendencies

24 58.54%
  • people have bad intentions to begin with. they wont be nice unless its rewarded

17 41.46%
First 34567 Last

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Nonsense.

There is no "good" or "bad". Only information, and what we choose to do with it.
    I approve of this statement.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I think people are good. Everyone starts out as good (think about children), and everyone has good in them even if they have bad habits/tendencies.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

I prefer to think the good outweighs the bad. You shouldn't judge someone by their shortcomings alone, y'know? We all make mistakes, but that doesn't make us ZOMGtehEVILZppl. We're just struggling along with our own different moral compasses. And some of us use ours more than others.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Default This is a fact!

I've been selling on Ebay for years. It's a 100 percent FACT that people are generally good. I've only had 3 evil people out of literally 10,000++ people. So, based on Ebay Logic, people are mostly GOOD!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

People are generally good, imo. They usually mean well. However, the majority of people are ignorant, which can make good people unintentionally do bad things, and let the bad people take advantage of the ignorance to be their bad selves.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    istp

people are neither intrinsically bad or good. however, there are relevant criteria if you want to compare them... i.e., the things which mark each human distinctly from the next.

unfortunately, most people think this is physical features, as they are the simplest and most distinguishable, as well as by other social stigmas that are nearly as superficial. personally, i believe it is someone's choices that defines them, regardless of whether their choices make them "good", "bad", or whatever label you wish to apply.

a person's choices are their foremost characteristic... one example i can think of is two men who were born in Europe in the late 1800s. although they were both quite intelligent, in their early years only the first was prominent--a loyal soldier, twice decorated for bravery, who eventually went on to become a successful politician. the second struggled a bit more as a young adult, and spend a good portion of his time unemployed or working a dead-end job despite being smart. this second man, though, made immeasurable discoveries in the field of physics and the other attempted to take over Europe, ordered the murder of over 6 million people in cold blood, and due to his arrogance, eventually lost WWII due to his losses when attempting to invade the Soviet Union. Of course, I am talking about Albert Einstein and Adolf Hitler.

it is difficult to understand the choices someone makes in the same way they do, though. i say choices, and not actions, because sometimes good choices and bad choices can result in someone taking the same actions depending on what the decision was. you have to understand what the person thinks the decision is, what their options are, and why they made one choice or another.

it is easy to think many people are bad. we are selfish beings by nature, and the social dynamic is very powerful... it's hard to say who is truly despicable and who is simply following the crowd because they think it's necessary to follow suit in order to survive. conversely, it is much more difficult (and rewarding) to forcibly ignore a person's crappy behavior and give them a real chance to show their true nature. however, as i say, the social dynamic is very powerful, and it can work both ways.

the question is not whether people are good or bad, but which of the two you are contributing towards. surly you wouldnt think it's about everybody else but you, right?

Junior Member civil_disobedience's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

In general, people are all afraid.
    But to answer the question, I think that there is an innate goodness in people that is not always actualized. But then I could argue that if the goodness is not always actualized, maybe it doesn't exist and we're bad by default?

Or maybe we're tabula rrrrrrosa! We're born as neither good nor bad, and then we go through life with the sum of our experiences branded onto our hearts. Some of us become Hitlers some of us Ghandis.. Most of us become that jagoff who cut you off in your car this morning, last night, the other day.

So really, my post is entirely insubstantial.

But I'm a cynical optimist so they must be good..
    "Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"--Thoreau

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

i cant answer. the only choices are too black and white.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    i cant answer. the only choices are too black and white.
    That is why I chose the second choice. But if the grey option was available I would go for that.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Yes, indeed. It's somewhere in the middle.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."