12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Default Seeing through Lies?

Are NFP's more gullible than the NFJ's? Why do you think this is so?

My guess would be that NFP's have a tendency to believe others have good intentions within, while NFJ's are more likely to see motives much more realistically.

I feel I can be both extremely gullible and on other occasions, feel something is slightly off about what a person says and not trust them. Because this is feeling based instead of factually based, I can look back on my feelings from that past moment of distrust and wonder if it really had any grounding in reality (distrust my own feelings). Then I feel completely stupid that I made such an assumption when it could be entirely wrong. At times I find myself completely unsure of how to feel towards people because of this.

How do NFPs and NFJs read people, and what people say, differently?
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If I trust someone, I will assume they have good intentions. If someone I trust does something with a bad intent then I will probably question it in my mind, and if it really is of a bad intent then I'll jump on it and start asking questions etc. I'm not that gullible, I'm not always stuck in lala land. I always look for someone's actions to not be genuine, it's like an internal radar. I am not gullible for the most part.

I will post another reply later when I have more time to further answer your query.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

I just wanted to add that I don't mean to say that NFPs are gullible. That was not the best word choice. What I mean is that I feel we are more willing to trust others and wanted to know if this is the general consensus or not (although everyone is different). Based on this trust (if you believe this is the case in general), do you think it's easier for us to be strung along at times by others (such as staying in a bad relationship when it may never change) or convinced of something by others? I am not by any means saying that NFPs can't detect this sort of stuff; it's only from my own personal observations that I've noticed my NFJ friend is much better at it than myself (and again, this is only one specific example and doesn't apply to all NFPs and NFJs).

(I'm not saying this to offend anyone; I apologize if I do offend anyone.)

I ask this question because I know this is one of the biggest differences between my INFJ friend and I. She is much more distrustful of people in general and seems to read them so well, whereas I sometimes feel very unsure of how to interpret others. She picks up on people's wants and needs so well, which I guess is the Fe at work. It fascinates me how she can tell me the reasoning behind another person's behavior or feelings within seconds of me explaining the situation to her, while I, on the other hand, have been thinking it over, walking down different avenues of possible answers, for hours.
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp

MBTI
    infp

I'm pretty good at seeing through people's lies, but voice or face needs to be involved in order to pick up on certain cues. Actually I'm not even sure I am recognising any specific details, more that I can "feel" the lie in the words.

Knowing it's happening and confronting the issue doesn't happen the instant I feel the lie, I will usually offer a line so that they can save themselves by taking back the lie, if they don't take the line they will then be confronted with my full wrathful storm lol.

I can not stand people who lie to me since I am such an accepting person anyway it's just not necessary to lie.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Spaghetti View Post

My guess would be that NFP's have a tendency to believe others have good intentions within...
    Not since I was 15 or so.

MBTI
    ENFP

Fi is responsible for sensing sincerity, hence NFP's should be less gullible based on this function alone. However, Intuition is the key function here, and NFP's use Ne while NFJ's use Ni. As Ni focuses on the most likely outcome of any given situation, it should be very able to check insincerity if coupled with an F function. Ne on the other hand would be likely to come up with both of the conclusions - that he is sincere and insincere - and entertain them as if they were both true. The Fi would give the charlatan the benefit of the doubt, unlike Ti would. Therefore, NFP's are probably the most gullible types.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Spaghetti View Post
    Based on this trust (if you believe this is the case in general), do you think it's easier for us to be strung along at times by others (such as staying in a bad relationship when it may never change) or convinced of something by others?
    Sometimes, when we care about people, love makes us blind in a sense that aspects of ourselves want to see the *best* in others, a part of us is in denial? So when we ask someone outside looking in (since there isn't an emotional attachment), they can give a more objective view?

I know in the past, when I felt 'it,' part of me didn't want to believe the lie. Part of me was in denial. When I give the person a chance to explain, and they continue to lie, that's when I feel a slap-in-the-face. Afterwords, I realize when someone lies to me, it's really about them (how they feel inside), whatever underlying reasons there are. That is when it appears as though I get strung along.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    If I trust someone, I will assume they have good intentions.
    I agree! Im not particularly gullible but I am very trusting and those that I know well I tend to trust unconditionally (unless of course they have proven themselves to be untrustworthy). The question in my mind is "Why would they lie about this... or anything?" My initial reaction is to trust, unless of course the statement is too ridiculous to be considered, or the person's motives to lie are visible.
    r0wo1 the destroyer of threads has struck again...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I consider myself pretty gullible. I don't like to believe that people have bad intentions most of the time, and if they prove to me consistently that they do, then I'll be wary around them. My gullibility doesn't stem from an inability to determine that someone has negative intent, but from the fact that I tend to ignore that little pressure I feel inside when I know I'm being lied to (or that a person is a jerk). Mostly because the few times that I've proved myself wrong were more pleasant than the many more times I've been right.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I never get fooled by people's intentions. I can smell them from some distance. It's a skill I developed over the years, and being suspicious is general. I tend to err on the side of suspicion though...