User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

What I mean is that I feel we are more willing to trust others and wanted to know if this is the general consensus or not
    Definitely true of me. However, I think I usually know if someone is untrustworthy or carries some bad characteristics. I wouldn't say I'm gullible. I consciously ignore any negative thoughts I have about a person if I can see any good in them. I focus on the good because I want to believe the best of others and believe that people can change. I have a hard time not taking that possibility into account. The P part of the enfP let's my Ne run wild and I can't help think of how great that person could be and all of their potential. The possibility isn't unlikely perhaps, but it isn't what I'm faced with at present.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    Fi is responsible for sensing sincerity, hence NFP's should be less gullible based on this function alone. However, Intuition is the key function here, and NFP's use Ne while NFJ's use Ni. As Ni focuses on the most likely outcome of any given situation, it should be very able to check insincerity if coupled with an F function. Ne on the other hand would be likely to come up with both of the conclusions - that he is sincere and insincere - and entertain them as if they were both true. The Fi would give the charlatan the benefit of the doubt, unlike Ti would. Therefore, NFP's are probably the most gullible types.
    i like your ideas. Ne seems more open to going with it and seeing what happens, whereas Ni would prompt constrictedness when it detected potential incongruencies. Fi DOES detect sincerity as far as feelings go, bc it KNOWS what real feeling is like. Fe detects falseness in expression/articulation/gesture, context, etc, while being boosted by the Ni pattern recognition, coherency, complex-framing ability, etc. nfps are often stunningly perceptive, but they can be so open they can choose to ignore the warning signs, allow second chances, continue GIVING, etc.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

quite impossible if entp made
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Default Ni/Ne in a Si/Se World

xNFPs more gullible than xNFJs? Doubtful. I think it's more likely that they are less willing to act on their intuitions because they prefer more time and information. I think there's also a larger tendency to want to give people second and third chances at redemption, thus purposefully disregarding initial hunches whereas an xNFJ "just has other sh*t to do" and can't be bothered with fence-riding. There's also the desire to avoid conflict which is inherent to all NFs, however (and this is a big however) if the issue warrants it, the xNFJ is much more likely to grab it by the balls rather than dance around it. I think both types are liable to second guess themselves until they are older and feel firmer wielding their intuitive blade.

Time and again I have learned that I usually regret second guessing myself about people and things. I do it less the older I get because I've decided to put more faith in my instincts (or as I now say, my intuition) and I feel better for it. My INFP boyfriend requires more external support to outwardly react to his own instincts and he will sound-board me with his personal suspicions for a confirm/deny then move forward accordingly.

I also think this is contrary to popular assumptions regarding NFs in general, which is that we consult our "gut feelings" first and disregard data. I think many of us from an early age are redirected to "have proof" or "have a good reason" before reaching conclusions or exercising personal judgment. I know I was. My SJ mother and SP grandmother drilled this dogma into my brain repeatedly when I was avoidant of people that made me wary without visible cause. I've had to unlearn much of that in order to be more confident in myself and my decision-making.

Like it or not, it's a Sensor world and we're just Intuitive squirrels tryin' to get a nut.

"The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I am not very gullible. I do like to give the benefit of the doubt & see the best in people, but if I sense something is off, then I will keep on guard with them.

I can tell when people are lying much of the time. I had a friend who was fond of telling "stories" and I would call her on them. A lot of other people just ate up everything she said.

The more I trust someone, the less gullible I may be actually, simply because in order to trust them I know them well and can read them even better than others.

There's a few things I may be gullible with, and one is when people tell you something with a straight face, but are totally joking. I fall for that sometimes.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

To see through lies, hire an INTP. They are like real world truthsayers. They also come with an inborn BS detecting talent.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp

I'd say I'm pretty good at reading people, their motives, and where they are coming from. I can usually tell if they are lying or not.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by mortabunt View Post
    To see through lies, hire an INTP. They are like real world truthsayers. They also come with an inborn BS detecting talent.
    LOL! That's quite accurate actually. I have an INTP friend who always tells me of the 'logical contradictions' made by others.

As for being more trusting, I'd say I'm a lot more skeptical than most of my other friends. Generally, though, I think INFPs are more willing to trust than INFJs. This is because INFJs have a tendency to figure everything out themselves. You could give answers to an INFJ, but he/she won't accept it unless the answers came soley from their own minds. INFPs tend to be more accepting at this (not that we like to get spoonfed), but we happen to accept answers more easily.

This thing about being able to detect other's intentions, I'd say that's my greatest weakness. For some reason, whenever I detect other people are deliberately trying to hurt me for whatever bad reason they have, I get angry. Reaaaaaal frustrated. The more I get frustrated the more that others can tell (since my face says it all). And the more others can tell the more I get even more frustrated. Sensisitivity can be a double edged sword.