• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs - Question of Consolation

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When my sister is really truly horribly upset, I find myself at a loss to comfort her. "It's going to be all right" rings hollow when things have NOT been all right nor is there a guarantee of anything of the sort. It's been a very bad year. Very bad. It's always been difficult to help her get calm when things have gone from really bad to terrible, the "last straw" as it were. There's no quiet place to put her mind at ease, no easy sure method to help. Nothing I try seems to work, at least not enough.

What can I do? What do you do to help restore balance in the worst of your dark places?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Let her rant, tell her that she's right, life does suck, but remind her that it usually only sucks for a little bit :)
Let her crusade against everything dark and evil and be a sounding board. Then hug her tightly. Press repeat till the ENFP turns into a quiet, sad bunch of cuddles/silent pissed of ENTJ-version (determined to right the wrong). Allow time to heal.

scattershot

MBTI Type
ENFP
Let her rant, tell her that she's right, life does suck, but remind her that it usually only sucks for a little bit :)
Let her crusade against everything dark and evil and be a sounding board. Then hug her tightly. Press repeat till the ENFP turns into a quiet, sad bunch of cuddles/silent pissed of ENTJ-version (determined to right the wrong). Allow time to heal.

Yep, Amargith's got it covered right there. There's not much you can do until the explosion of Fi is over with 'cause we really can't think straight at that moment.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
when i'm upset i either want to be left alone or i want someone to sit with me but not talk or i want someone to make me laugh...there are very few times words of support have actually helped...i tend to feel best when i work through it myself...i don't really know your situation but have a very vague idea and if it's to do with a situation that cannot be changed the best thing imo...for her would be to take a spiritual approach...comforting discussions about that together may help...or just let her know...you're going through it together....and cake... :hug:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tried hugging her for awhile, talking her through the worst, reassuring her that her feelings were okay, that it was okay to be upset. It was just so much upset, the kind I know has to come out, but it's so awful that I tend to internally panic.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's why i like to be alone.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't panic :)
We're like an erupting volcano at that point, but don't take whatever it is we say at that moment personal. It's not intended to be personal..its just that our internal filter for putting things correctly has broken down. Trust that the storm will pass once all the emotions that were bottled inside are gone. And don't worry, she won't eat you alive, on the contrary, she'll be glad someone is there to catch her as exhaustion is bound to be the end result. Note: this only works if she fully trusts you, otherwise we tend to lick our wounds in private (though seeing as you are her sister, I don't see that being a problem).

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Me too, Erin. I think I should have left her alone, but she was so upset that I was worried and afraid. She only does this when she's exhausted, so I went into savior mode.

I tend to internalize what's happening. I felt like I was being squeezed all through it.

scattershot

MBTI Type
ENFP
Don't panic :)
We're like an erupting volcano at that point, but don't take whatever it is we say at that moment personal. It's not intended to be personal..its just that our internal filter for putting things correctly has broken down. Trust that the storm will pass once all the emotions that were bottled inside are gone.

Yeah, I'm sure it's alarming as hell for those watching it, but we're usually much better after all of those emotions have gotten out of us. It's probably even more disturbing because we often won't show that anything is wrong until it gets to that meltdown point.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well...i've been through it...for real... and if it hurts that much honestly i just retreat and doesn't much matter who's there because i'm not...i just look like a vacant shell of a person...i don't really let much of it out...i just think you can ask her if she wants you to stay...but don't feel like you have to do/say anything...especially if she seems beside herself...wait until she's calm and coherent to talk...because she probably won't hear you.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I'm sure it's alarming as hell for those watching it, but we're usually much better after all of those emotions have gotten out of us. It's probably even more disturbing because we often won't show that anything is wrong until it gets to that meltdown point.

Exactly.

That's what got me.

But also, she in particular will send me into panic mode because I know her so well and can't stand to hear her rattling apart. I guess you could say I'm too close to be helpful.

I called our ENTJ bff for help. I hope she'll call tonight.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
True, Erin. Usually bodylanguage will indicate though if we're looking for support or if we just wanna be alone. If she does wanna be alone, be nearby but like in the next room, to be able to check up on her when needed.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you know...she can hear you talking about her.

scattershot

MBTI Type
ENFP
But also, she in particular will send me into panic mode because I know her so well and can't stand to hear her rattling apart. I guess you could say I'm too close to be helpful.

I called our ENTJ bff for help. I hope she'll call tonight.

Good idea bringing in reinforcements. I'm guessing it's even harder for you to watch, being Fe-primary on top of being so close.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
probably also the reason that your sister doesn't wanna bug you with it till she can't keep it in anymore :)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
She tries to contain herself and tries not to worry us. Of course, I'm so nervously sensitive to her moods, I pick up on it immediately. Twin brain. Even when she goes off alone. ESP if she's alone. She's not a solitary type. It alerts me to trouble.

Yes, there are those few people in the world I care so much about that watching them descend into a level of distress I can't snatch them out of really frightens me. My Fe feels like a knife is being driven into it over and over.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yeah... when things are legitimately bad, it's hard to know what to do. Talking to my mom (ENTP) always helps to calm me down, but it's hard to say why. She doesn't really solve anything. Just knowing that I can vent and she will be calm helps a lot. She never says "it's going to be fine." She just says, "I am so sorry" and I know she is.

I read something on the INTJ site about overwhelmed ENFPs that said:

Advice for dealing with your ENFP when they are in this state includes simply understanding that we're feeling our way through rather than reasoning our way through, and that it is not a blow to our understanding but an assault on our entire paradigm. Your natural understanding of how to reconcile a J and P rift can be extremely helpful to us if you reason from a perspective of how we feel about it. One of my INTJs has caught on to this, and now reflexively opens his help with questions like "How does this make you feel?" and "Why do you feel that way?" which helps me focus on my paradigm from a somewhat detached perspective. From there, he can usually help me bridge gaps of logic in my philosophical reasoning, and is especially adept at getting me to understand that what I have perceived may not be so intrinsically tied to the subject I have such strong feelings about. Lastly, he's also very careful to not invalidate any of my feelings or ideals in the process. More than anything, this makes it possible for him to help, even if there is nothing he can do, because this prevents him from making his attempts to help seem antagonistic to me while I am irritated from the foundation of my being. Gentle compassion and patience always disarms an ENFP. If you've ever tried to help an ENFP in this state and got snapped at, it was because you were not gentle enough in trying to adjust our most sensitive area which was already hurting at the time, and caused it to hurt more. Even if we do snap at you, you need to know that we greatly appreciate the help you're trying to offer, even if it really isn't helping. The worst thing you can do is mistake our reactions for anything other than us hurting and escalate the moment into a personal argument. When our paradigm is in jeopardy, the one thing that normally keeps us behaving in a conscientious manner is not available to us, and we will likely 'cut loose' on you without being able to explain what has caused the reaction or why.

Even though it is relating to INTJs-ENFPs in relationship specifically, I thought this was pretty helpful and accurate in dealing with an upset ENFP in general. We need to know our feelings are valid and that we are loved regardless. I think it is best when whomever I'm talking to is not freaking out, but just listening to me and loving me anyway -- acknowledging that I'm not ALWAYS like this and that it is just one of those really hard times. Although, yeah, there is really nothing that can be done and we just need space until we feel it has gone enough for us to cope around other people.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
exactly...just being there and understanding without disqualifying or trying to fix it.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've had to learn to "not fix it". I just listen. But I still go under a great deal of strain wanting to make the bad thing stop so she can be all right again.

As an NJ, I'm looking for something to blame and destroy for making her unhappy, but when that thing is intangible, my internal justice system goes a little nuts.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
Yup yup. That's how I feel about it too.

EDIT: Removed the OOT.

Last edited: