• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] 50-50 judging/perceiving

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
When I do the tests I often get this kind of result and I am wondering if it is possible to have Ni dominant & Fi auxiliary. That's how it feels like to me anyway. It's sort of like a cross infj/infp type of feeling.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're one or the other. I am 50/50 T/F and I do some things very much like an INTP would, but I'm no INTP. You might have the Fi illusion with your Fe, since NiFe can sometimes look like that from what I've seen. Fi vs NiFe is still different though, you are one or the other.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
@whimsical
its normal to be more on the perceiver side in a dichotomy test, if you are a Ni perceiver.
but its not so normal to identify with Fi and Ni. if you strongly feel like you are a perceiver at the core, and emotional evaluation is secondary to you (and it is Fi), then you might be another "introverted" enfp?

you said, that you are optimistic or positive in the other thread. that is suspicious. its what all enfp say.
Ni is like the god of fear. its fixated on the determination of a single process, and unaware of how other processes might enter the stage and change everything.

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
definitely not an e
i used to be like that, nihilistic & whatnot, i did a lot of stuff and im learning from experience. i think positive was the wrong word. i do tend to be more sarcastic & witty & "dark", but inside i am optimistic about things

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i don't like to describe myself as negative, since i am not so removed from the Fi perspective, as to be unaware of how that would be a self fulfilling prophecy. i try to stay just calm and friendly enough, to keep myself from killing myself spontaneously. i achieve that by being ignorant (not reminding myself) about how bad things obviously are. this makes me procrastinate even more. i live in the moment, but this way i survive, emotionally.

if i compare myself to introverted feeling types, it becomes apparent immediately that they are more skilled at being unreasonable optimistic than i am. they can achieve this, without shutting the world out. to the contrary the world feels promising to them. they just make it seem that way. they may rant about the world, at the same time, but then thats a different world, they are ranting about. not their personal strategical situation but just their "political" opinion about how "things are wrong". sometimes i have the impression, that ranting about the world, makes them even more confident about their own ways. as if it was a contrast. if the world is wrong and they are right it means that they will win the battle. contempt can motivate them, unless it's repressed, but the typical victim mode will likely justify contempt, so they don't have to repress it.

for me, ranting about the world will only make absolutely sure, that i can not possibly deal with it. or anyone. just those robots and zombies anyway.
for me, Fe will automatically translate any contempt into paranoia, and also Fe makes sure, that this paranoia will be at the front of my consciousness, all of the time. if i don't welcome the world, the world won't welcome me.

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
When I do the tests I often get this kind of result and I am wondering if it is possible to have Ni dominant & Fi auxiliary. That's how it feels like to me anyway. It's sort of like a cross infj/infp type of feeling.

I totally get what you're saying. On here, I find that I relate a bit more with INFJ's than I do INFP's, but its one of those things where my function development is a bit different. Once you reflect on it, it'll be a bit clearer where you fall.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always been mystified by this INFx confusion I see so often. Admittedly, my J/P is weak on cognitive tests, however there is no denying that once I read the INFJ description I felt as if a giant bell had rung out within me and it took my breath away. For me, there was little room for confusion.

Also, when I read the description of the INFP, I saw my boyfriend and yelled out "A-ha!" and waved the book around triumphantly. It was such clear, instant recognition. Is this just not the case with other INFxes?

Perhaps it's telling that most (not all) INFxes appear to be INFP to me. I know that when I read the description to my boyfriend, he was very resistant to some of the traits described that he does not like or care to admit to. It was after several months of his own investigation that he conceded the truth of it and admitted he was just not thrilled to see his own flaws laid out for him. I had to remind him that there was a LOT of positive in there too and he should not hear a death knell, but a ring of clarity. He has since significantly warmed to his "type" and all the understanding that follows from better knowing one's self.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I totally get what you're saying. On here, I find that I relate a bit more with INFJ's than I do INFP's, but its one of those things where my function development is a bit different. Once you reflect on it, it'll be a bit clearer where you fall.

+1

Tests are a decent way to get a 'rough idea' about what type you are, but in the end, how you relate to other types of people is how you'll truly learn what you are. It's how it worked with me.

I agree totally with Nanook. I find myself just worrying about 'now' over 'then' because if I worry about then, I'll get myself worked up and end up 'shooting myself in the foot.' I find my best moments are when I can just let loose and be my Ying Yang self (It's kind of confounding all the opposites I can see in myself. Optimistic yet Pessimistic, Logical yet Illogical, Open yet Closed...)

With the tests, too, they take things more linearly, because Ni is a more like Jell-o than Si's brick wall. (Theyre made different, too. Jell-o is made with water, the sugar/starch mix, and the cold fridge of contemplation. They stretch a good deal. Brick walls are made layer by layer and take a lot to break down.)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
*being the devil's advocate*
Or the J/P dichotomy is completely wrong... that people lies across the whole continuum and that you are truly right smack in the middle.

Seriously though, if you wanted to know your type, perhaps working out your use of tertiary function would be helpful. Ti vs Si :)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
no, can we NOT waste another soul, please ???

its so easy to decide type by the functions that have been proven to be significant. just the first two. especially for feeling types, because telling Fi from Fe is the easiest of all distinctions. N from S is much harder. or telling Ni from Ti ... about impossible for beginners. or Ne from Ni ... also 99% of feeling types cant even tell Ti from Te.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
no, can we NOT waste another soul, please ???

its so easy to decide type by the functions that have been proven to be significant. just the first two. especially for feeling types, because telling Fi from Fe is the easiest of all distinctions. N from S is much harder. or telling Ni from Ti ... about impossible for beginners. or Ne from Ni ... also 99% of feeling types cant even tell Ti from Te.

Well from the way I read it... the person is having difficulties distinguishing between Fi and Fe... hence my suggestion for something different. Ti vs Si.

Most INXJs (myself included) tend to have horrid Si.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I almost always type 50/50, +/- 2 percentage points. However, it's helpful to look at the cognitive functions, and when I do that, it is ABSOLUTELY clear that I lead with Ne and not Fe and back up with Fi, not Ni. That's why I drive some INFJs bat-shit crazy: Although my Fe and Ni are stronger than they theoretically *should* be, and I demonstrate a lot of so-called 'J' behavior, I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever in 5 billion years be Fe dominant backed up by Ni. :cool:

Same with the T/F axis, which leads some people to mistakenly believe I am a THINKER. Agreed, I show a LOT more of my T side in real life, so I can see that. However, I definitely back up my Ne with Fi, not Ti, though I have developed my Ti over time.

Look at cognitive functions - it really helps to clarify things.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Most INXJs (myself included) tend to have horrid Si.

Example, Italics mean Thought:
*Walks up to a long time friend* Hi.... Oh crap I forgot her name! Gahhh what WAS it!? I hope she doesnt notice, she might, she's an ENFP... Rrrrg!

Much more common example for me:
I'll be talking to someone, and then I try and get their attention by saying their name. It turns out to be a -different- friend's name. So you try again... and the same thing happens, just with a different friend's name. Repeat until successful or until you give up.

EDIT: [Insert sketchy thought about how Si works here]

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i believe you would better study extroverted sensing types a LOT, before you should form believes about what Si and Se are. (its a logical necessity)

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
i believe you would better study extroverted sensing types a LOT, before you should form believes about what Si and Se are. (its a logical necessity)

I understand Se a lot better than Si. THAT is the difference :D

*Edits the post since it probably had sketchy information in it*

Anyways. Usually the Tertiary function is still slow to develop. Knowing your type isn't some scientific Nirvana, but it is useful. The best way to figure it out is just to study yourself objectively, without trying to push it into a box (I think relating actions to MBTI is okay, but it's more a tool than a philosophy)

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
i dont really think i can do introverted sensing but my extroverted sensing skills are alright

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Example, Italics mean Thought:
*Walks up to a long time friend* Hi.... Oh crap I forgot her name! Gahhh what WAS it!? I hope she doesnt notice, she might, she's an ENFP... Rrrrg!

Much more common example for me:
I'll be talking to someone, and then I try and get their attention by saying their name. It turns out to be a -different- friend's name. So you try again... and the same thing happens, just with a different friend's name. Repeat until successful or until you give up.

EDIT: [Insert sketchy thought about how Si works here]

I just posted on this on another thread. Amazingly, I still vaguely remember what I wrote:

Beebe's description of demonic Si (8th function for INFJs):

forgetting peoples names, unorderliness, hallucinations, Others ask:"Have you been in this body for long?"

I actually made the following realisation long before I found Beebe's description:

If Heroic (dominant) Si excels at remembering things, then demonic Si excels at forgetting things!

I was going to add something else but it's already slipped my mind. Not to mention, I've "forgotten" that I'm at work and have to go and actually DO some right now!

I once forgot my own mother's name whilst introducing her to one of the senior managers at work. I think I mumbled something like: "and this is my mother, whose name has temporarily escaped my mind....." before turning bright red and wishing I was dead.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
look, if all NiFe people forget half of their lives, like i do, and all FiNe people dont do this, then its worth something for type diagnosis. i am just saying that it might not have anything to do with Si, and you cant know if it has, by reading stuff like that. find out about how esxp and esxj deal with memory, then compare with enxx, only then draw conclusions for functions of introverted people. i would rather say, that Si people suck at memory, and Se people have concrete or even photogenic memory (so do some Ne people). Si seems to remember mere "atmosphere", while Se remembers concrete things. and NiFe people go like this NiFeSiTe and they sure would not like anime and stuff, if they would not be fans of Si. but they would do bungee jumping, if it wasn't their Se that is in absent. the reason we cant do Se is not because we do Ni, but because we do Si all the time. also whenever some NiFe person talks about Ti he is actually referring to the combination of [SiTe]. but for the most part, introverted feeling dichotomy judgers are FiNe people anyway, who actually use Ti, as in FiNeTiSe..... again, if you would care to find the truth, you would not just rely on texts that seem to describe you, but study actual people ... boring extroverted people