• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] ENFJ growth (Books? Advice?)

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I stand corrected. It just fit really well with the theme in the other thread and my mind decided to leap to that conclusion haha.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i must confess, i haven't read atlas shrugged... yet. that being said, rand wasn't about the development on personality types, more of comparing idealisms (with a preferred winner of course). it's philosophy, not psychology.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I just find the book excessively obtuse for the message it is trying to convey and coupled with lackluster secondary character development. I understand the point of the book but I just think the method of portrayal isn't something I can easily relate to.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
i think the nature of Fe and the fundamental 'beliefs' of Ayn Rand philosophy are at two opposite poles. Fe's could never wholly integrate Ayn Rand's point of view into their belief. at best they could only balance each other out. a good example would be the middleman Kent Lansing in Fountainhead, who serves as a bridge between the people and the individualistic protagonist.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I'm going to push through and finish the book regardless, I hate leaving books half read. I'm actually going to go read it right now...

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha, that sounds amazing, definitely going to check those out. I am also guessing that substitute's post was meant for the other thread >.>

I especially like his story about trying to draw what he was (myopically) seeing on a glass slide under a microscope and accidentally drawing the reflection of his own eye.

I'm going to push through and finish the book regardless, I hate leaving books half read. I'm actually going to go read it right now...

That was "Ulysses" for me or Beckett's "Happy Days". UGH! Pretentious much?! You can tell when a text is "aware" of itself. Totally ruins it.

Cronkle

MBTI Type
INFJ
I especially like his story about trying to draw what he was (myopically) seeing on a glass slide under a microscope and accidentally drawing the reflection of his own eye.

That was "Ulysses" for me or Beckett's "Happy Days". UGH! Pretentious much?! You can tell when a text is "aware" of itself. Totally ruins it.
Craaaaaaaaaap. Nearly everything I write is "aware of itself"

Can I help it if I'm the hyperaware protoganist of a bildungsroman, Pinky? :cool:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol! I don't even know what that means, but I hope it isn't deadly! :D

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I like books that offer clarity/insight, which tends to be more neutral, and offers various perspectives.

With books that are too biased? I feel as though, it doesn't really help me to grow as a person, but to hinder my abilities to truly understand/see reality for what it is..

Everyone will have their own set of interests, their own life path, so whatever material we read, I think that for me, there is always a level of discernment.. that discernment helps me to grow/shapes my view of life accordingly..

I guess, there are no books that will really offer all the answers? Most of the answers are within us, and those books help to guide us. But our internal happiness is something that we make peace of in our everyday lives?

Neutralpov

martyr complex books

Boundaries, a book on boundaries is what all NFs need. And how to be assertive vs. aggressive or passive.

Neutralpov

I've been altered by C.S. Lewis' "The Problem of Pain". Talk about a mind bender worth several reads. Also, "Dark Night of the Soul", written in antiquity by St. John de la Cruz, and most anything by Seneca, the Stoic. He really moved me.

I love John Stuart Mill, Walter Pater, D.H. Lawrence, the Brontes etc.

haha sorry I just noticed you mentioned The Problem of Pain and it is sitting on my desk right now as I read this thread. Silly ENFJ's how are we all so alike yet live lives completely different. What were the odds of that happening?