User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I've been altered by C.S. Lewis' "The Problem of Pain". Talk about a mind bender worth several reads. Also, "Dark Night of the Soul", written in antiquity by St. John de la Cruz, and most anything by Seneca, the Stoic. He really moved me.

I love John Stuart Mill, Walter Pater, D.H. Lawrence, the Brontes etc.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I've been altered by C.S. Lewis' "The Problem of Pain". Talk about a mind bender worth several reads. Also, "Dark Night of the Soul", written in antiquity by St. John de la Cruz, and most anything by Seneca, the Stoic. He really moved me.

I love John Stuart Mill, Walter Pater, D.H. Lawrence, the Brontes etc.
    Can someone with a non-religious background get the full message of those books? Just skimming the reviews on Amazon makes me a little wary that I won't get the message or really understand the point of view.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Well, that's a good point, Trains. I suppose I tend to view spiritual/mystic stuff almost remotely sometimes. To me, Lewis is more than the sum of his parts, so I take away a lot from his critical essays (INTJ?.. I find relief in his logic).

I'm not jazzed about "religious" writing personally, and tend to shy away from it.

Seneca (and the others listed besides Cruz) are entirely secular (or at least write that way). Lawrence for sure was no angel. lol Steamy guy.

You know, my INFJ father is a big fan of Vonnegut. He says he feels like "Slaughterhouse Five" is an incarnation of his Ni.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

Interesting, I will definitely check some of that stuff out. I have to way to many books piled up on my desk right now that need reading: Catch 22, Brave New World, Sense and Sensibility, Crime and Punishment... and I just started Guns, Germs, and Steel.

Vonnegut, for me, always felt like I was reading his books from an arm's reach away. Never fully immersed in what he was describing. To be fair I have only read Slaughterhouse Five but my initial reading of it just didn't seem to click with me.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Vonnegut makes me feel like I've unwittingly smoked something. Too existential for me. My dad seems to like that sort of thing.

Dad and I can agree that James Thurber is pretty hilarious, especially the stories about his family.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

Vonnegut makes me feel like I've unwittingly smoked something. Too existential for me. My dad seems to like that sort of thing.

Dad and I can agree that James Thurber is pretty hilarious, especially the stories about his family.
    Any specific pieces you can recommend from him !

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Ah! Certainly!

"My Life and Hard Times" and/or "The Thurber Carnival". His family was incredibly weird. His "parables" are hysterical too. I always liked his version of Little Red Riding Hood which ends with her shooting the wolf with a gun and the moral was : "Little girls aren't so easily tricked as they used to be" or something ridiculous.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    ENTP

Try the "role reversal" technique. Quite a lot of people predict others' behaviour based on their own, but I find ENFJ's don't seem to do this - they seem to expect others to be assholes and only themselves to do what's right, subconsciously at least*. If you think that somebody would be offended or act unreasonably if you told them a problem you have, try imagining they came to you with the same query and think whether you'd be angry or not. If you wouldn't, if you'd be reasonable and listen, then there's a high chance the other person will also. My ENFJ sister told me this one by the way - she says it helps her pucker up to the task, where she would otherwise have just kept it inside "to keep the peace" until it escalated beyond repair.

*by which I mean, "hold themselves to higher standards than they expect of others". Just reflect on that a little bit, and think about how that might manifest itself in a negative way - how it could be rather insulting to others and make you appear or seem self-righteous.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

Ah! Certainly!

"My Life and Hard Times" and/or "The Thurber Carnival". His family was incredibly weird. His "parables" are hysterical too. I always liked his version of Little Red Riding Hood which ends with her shooting the wolf with a gun and the moral was : "Little girls aren't so easily tricked as they used to be" or something ridiculous.
    Haha, that sounds amazing, definitely going to check those out. I am also guessing that substitute's post was meant for the other thread >.>

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by SpottingTrains View Post
    I am also guessing that substitute's post was meant for the other thread >.>
    It said "advice?" So I gave some advice that came from my ENFJ sister, and some that I've given her that she's said has been useful.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen