• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] why are nf's nihilists?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can you at least substantiate your position. Not because I disagree with you, but because your post otherwise doesn't need to be shared.

The question was whether or not I am a nihilist. I answered the question. How does that go against the OP and why shouldn't it be shared, hmm?

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Well you already answered the question in this post.

1. Not me.
2. Not at all.
3. No. No. No idea.

Your use of expletives tells me you have a strong disagreement with nihilism, I'm curious why.

As far as why I said your post didn't need to be shared, you started the post by saying you disagreed with everything it stood for, but then you didn't elaborate. After that you say it's "complete bullshit." There's no substance to the post, I'm hoping you can explain your position.

Last edited:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*sigh* Alright, here we go:

1. "Values do not exist but rather are falsely invented." How can something be 'falsely invented'? Either it is invented or it isn't.

2. "Life is without meaning, purpose or intrinsic value." If that's true, why are we here - just for the hell of it? Even THAT is a purpose, though you could argue whether or not that purpose has meaning. Everything has meaning.

3. "Morality does not exist, and subsequently there are no moral values with which to uphold a rule or to logically prefer one action over another." Okay, so then we should just run rampant and do whatever the hell we want or what????

4. "General mood of despair at the pointlessness of existence that one has when they realize there are no necessary norms, rules, or laws." Why, in the name of everything, would I want to live without norms, rules or laws? Do I want anarchy and chaos or what???

Are you happy now? :rolli:

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
*sigh* Alright, here we go:

1. "Values do not exist but rather are falsely invented." How can something be 'falsely invented'? Either it is invented or it isn't.

OK, by your reasoning values can still be invented, just not falsely invented.

2. "Life is without meaning, purpose or intrinsic value." If that's true, why are we here - just for the hell of it? Even THAT is a purpose, though you could argue whether or not that purpose has meaning. Everything has meaning.

Why does something that exists need to have a purpose? Maybe we exist not even for "the hell of it." Can you explain why everything must have meaning.

3. "Morality does not exist, and subsequently there are no moral values with which to uphold a rule or to logically prefer one action over another." Okay, so then we should just run rampant and do whatever the hell we want or what????

The question is whether morality exists independently of our perception of it, it has nothing to do with the repercussions of its absence. For example, "I need a car to commute more easily." Not "I have a car, therefore I need to commute easily."

4. "General mood of despair at the pointlessness of existence that one has when they realize there are no necessary norms, rules, or laws." Why, in the name of everything, would I want to live without norms, rules or laws? Do I want anarchy and chaos or what???

It has nothing to do with what you want, it has to do with what is. Just because you want norms, rules and laws doesn't mean they necessarily exist. They exist because people put effort into making them exist, based on "values" that may be of their own construction, or as existing on their own. I think that's the question, whether morals are our own making or whether they exist on their own. The necessity of morals is irrelevant.

Are you happy now? :rolli:

Thanks, I needed that.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Nihilism is purely descriptive, it has no normative content, and most people don't understand that.

I am a nihilist, and yet I think I am creating meaning and purpose again, although obviously at the subjective level. I am a human, I have a human nature, and if I play along with, I can be happy. At the core humans are social beings, and what makes us happy, are people, being connected to them and living for them. If you want to live a meaningful life, look no further than the people you care about. It's just human nature.

1AuroraAngel1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I actually consider myself an anti-nihilist. Until I saw this thread, I thought it was impossible to be an NF and a nihilist at the same time.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not neccessarily so. There are feedback loops that have no defined beginning or ending because what could be the beginning is influenced by what could be the ending, and so telling the two apart is difficult/impossible/pointless.

I'm somewhat of an existential nihilist. In that I think that life, as a whole and as untouched and unconcerned with humans, does not have a meaning, it just is. However, that doesn't mean I think that everyone should just dissolve into apathy and say, "Well then fuck it, what's the point of it all?" Life only acquires meaning when you give it meaning. Life will not automatically hand you purpose. You have to find that for yourself.

There are a lot of other nihilist thoughts I have as I tend to think a lot of things we take for granted as inherent traits of humanity are actually things we are conditioned to think before we can even speak. It's not all doom and gloom though. It just means that we've crafted a complex system for ourselves, and I think that, if anything, is an inherent human tendency. To create complex systems to make life "make sense" and give it a guise of having a point.

That is exactly what I think. The only problem is when my depression flares up...then I do get pretty apathetic. But when I'm happy, its closer to what you describe. I value pleasure and good company.

HisKittyKat

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
4w5
lol i think i just peed in my pants a wee bit lolololol.:D

The universe doesn't give two shits about morality, honor, or integrity. It is a mechanism, a cyclical process.

That being said, I as a part of the universe do have morals, honor, and integrity and by enacting those beliefs everyday within my own life I project those concepts into the machine with unknown results. Unknown results being how far and wide the ripple travels across the universe after I throw in my stone. Is it still ultimately a small action lost in an infinite arena? Most likely, but for a brief time in a small space the universe has known such ideals and I am not alone in my endeavors. Others have done so before me, are doing so with me, and will be doing so after I'm gone.

I need coffee.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
It depends on what the person believe in. If her or his set of values is immoral then he'll be immoral. XD

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am ENFP and I am not a nihilist. XD

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I will speak for INFx only: I assume some people of these types tends toward nihilism because INFJs and INFPs are naturally drawn to sad things, and nihilism is, at some extent, the epitome of it.