User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 34

  1. #11
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Perhaps the nihilism you refer to is a product of fear and estrangment. NF's tend to feel estranged, and that might be turned outward as a disdain for social institutions.

    Nihilism is a safe bet when enough estrangement has accrued.

  2. #12
    Wannabe genius Splittet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    632

    Default

    There is probably going to be more nihilists among Ns, because Ns on average are more into philosophy, and some of the people who are into philosophy will end up as nihilists. If you are not into philosophy you won't think too deeply about the meaning behind it all, and will take a lot of it for granted, while nihilism really is taking nothing for granted.
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

  3. #13
    Senior Member MrME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    nihilism = Ti (deconstructionism/relativism of moral leads to the assumption that no moral exists "for real", as moral is defined (mis-perceived) as construct, by the constructionist eye (Ti) of the deconstructionist, therefore aspects of moral that are not constructed are simply not recognized). to put it differently: Ti is moral autism. (if imploded). Fi is sometimes just as stupid. if it starts to play the pluralistic/relativistic game.
    What? I don't get this at all. Are you suggesting that there are moral underpinnings to the universe itself? Ti is moral autism? What does that even mean?
    INFJ
    4w5

  4. #14
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    I wouldn't consider myself a nihilist. Nor would I consider NFs to be nihilists, not even in any general manner, whatsoever. Did you mean to put this into the NT section?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

  5. #15
    Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post
    the moment you realize life is taking you nowhere is when life begins to have meaning.
    you have an understatedness that reminds me of my favorite author milan kundera. i think he too is an infj, i always describe him as a sleeker modernized more distilled dostoeyevsky.



    i also sometimes describe myself as the most idealistic nihilist you'll ever meet. it has to do with having ideals and the painful memories of disillusionment, when you (your ideals!) in all your glory and splendor were the fateful day squashed like a bug on the concrete.

    idealists go thru nihilistic phases when they shed their skin, evolve, and update themselves. liminality is a painful process where you atone for your sins and wait for your body to burn the waste and refuse and LIES out.

  6. #16
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyz22 View Post
    discuss.




    but seriously, is this possible?
    if so, in what form(s)?
    are you? do you know one? is it contagious?
    1. Not me.
    2. Not at all.
    3. No. No. No idea.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Xellotath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    181

    Default

    I am a nihilist.

    Not by choice but by logical conclusion.
    It's a struggle, to be honest. As an ENFP, adopting that particular philosophy is hell.

    Nihilism denies that fundamental connection and hope that I normally feel. Leaves me feeling, cold, useless and uninspiring.

    Imagine having a mind wired to see webs of beautiful, emotionally-charged meaning between people.. placing all of your ego in these visions... only to completely deconstruct them the second your intellect kicks in. Absolutely -no- sense of right and wrong and that's final.

    To be massively stereotypical:
    -NTs see the world as a logical puzzle, so they are fine with nihilism. They will use rationality no matter the emotional "truth" of things.
    -S types generally don't care about the meaning of life.
    -NF's are divided in Fe and Fi users. Fe's emotional charge is directed towards others and not to values, these types have Ni somewhere, which focused on the self [They probably think, as long as I'm ok, its fine all fine.]

    Nihilism attacks Fi, in a truly vicious manner because none of the usual tricks work. We can no longer say "Oh gee, the world is not -that- dark and meaningless", because it is. All hope is reduced to nothing.

    Of course, it's no wonder Fi's generally go for new age nonsense, or probably try to comfort themselves with pseudo-spiritual, anti-deterministic extrapolations from quantum mechanics.

    .....Whatever protects the ego, really.

  8. #18
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Nihilism basically goes completely against my view of the world!!!!

    Nihilism (from the Latin nikhil, nothing) is the philosophical position that values do not exist but rather are falsely invented.[1] Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism which argues that life[2] is without meaning, purpose or intrinsic value. Moral nihilists assert that morality does not exist, and subsequently there are no moral values with which to uphold a rule or to logically prefer one action over another. Nihilism can also take the form of epistemological, metaphysical or mereological nihilism.
    The term nihilism is sometimes used synonymously with anomie to denote the general mood of despair at the pointlessness of existence that one has when they realize there are no necessary norms, rules, or laws.[3] Movements such as Futurism and deconstructionism,[4] among others, have been identified by commentators as "nihilistic" at various times in various contexts. Often this means or is meant to imply that the beliefs of the accuser are more substantial or truthful, whereas the beliefs of the accused are nihilistic, and thereby comparatively amount to nothing (or are simply claimed to be destructively amoralistic).
    This is complete bullshit!!!!!! :steam:
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  9. #19
    Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xellotath View Post
    -NF's are divided in Fe and Fi users. Fe's emotional charge is directed towards others and not to values, these types have Ni somewhere, which focused on the self [They probably think, as long as I'm ok, its fine all fine.]
    Fe feels cold and nihilistic when rejected, unloved, uninspired. the environment around us turns dark, there is no light to see/no light moving to connect. when the emotional current that runs thru our veins runs dry. then nothing means anything bc no one loves anyone. the world is cold bc the sun will never come out again and the earth will turn into black soot, dust, and ash.

    we run on fuel produced in the burning of the beautiful too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xellotath View Post
    Nihilism attacks Fi, in a truly vicious manner because none of the usual tricks work. We can no longer say "Oh gee, the world is not -that- dark and meaningless", because it is. All hope is reduced to nothing.

    Of course, it's no wonder Fi's generally go for new age nonsense, or probably try to comfort themselves with pseudo-spiritual, anti-deterministic extrapolations from quantum mechanics.

    .....Whatever protects the ego, really.
    yes, yes, and yes.

    there is no relativity whatsoever in Fi. the only technique that truly works is the quarantine.

    when it starts to go under nihilisms spell, it just starts exploding until nothing is left but silence, eery silence and the suffering faces peering out from the looking-hole posts. the whole way of existing in the world just goes up in smoke and turns to dizzy furiously churning non-existence and untruth. for Fi it's such a physical disease, and the body has to burn it out before it sinks into a hole from which it can never escape.

  10. #20
    Senior Member BallentineChen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Nihilism basically goes completely against my view of the world!!!!



    This is complete bullshit!!!!!! :steam:
    Can you at least substantiate your position. Not because I disagree with you, but because your post otherwise doesn't need to be shared.
    "For a man who wants to make a profession of good in all regards must come to ruin among so many who are not good. Hence it is necessary to a prince, if he wants to maintain himself, to learn to be able not to be good, and to use this and not use it according to necessity."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Why Do NFs Apologize So Much?
    By Totenkindly in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 228
    Last Post: 09-25-2017, 02:49 AM
  2. Why are you here?
    By rhinosaur in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 06:08 AM
  3. [NF] Why are NF good in fighting for others but not for themselves?
    By Virtual ghost in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 09:07 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Why are all the NFs jealous of the NTs?
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 12:19 AM
  5. [NF] What sort of topics are NF type topics?
    By Alienclock in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 09:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO