• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What attracts NFs to Typology?

Immaculate Cloud

MBTI Type
INFJ
For me at least, finding out that I was an INFJ put a stamp on legitimacy on my existence, on my cognitive processes. Before that, I had been called anything from complicated to having a screw loose to overly intellectual to 'those head in the clouds idealists', etc...

At first, there was a mixture of relief, exhilaration and a bit of sadness. Relief - as if you had some kind of diffuse and vague illness and someone finally put a name to it. Exhilaration - ah, the journey of discovery can begin - discovery of oneself and of others, but this time, with a detailed map in hand!!! Sadness - because the way this world is run does not seem to favour the introvert... Or at least, that one has to wait for the second half of life for it to favour the introvert...(read it somewhere, don't remember where).

My two cents' worth.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
For me at least, finding out that I was an INFJ put a stamp on legitimacy on my existence, on my cognitive processes. Before that, I had been called anything from complicated to having a screw loose to overly intellectual to 'those head in the clouds idealists', etc...

I know everyone says and probably honestly feels they are "different" from others and have difficulties with being who they are (especially as teens), as did I, have struggled with that since I was... I had cognition.

I can't even say how much sense Typology has given me - these things I've sensed and "felt" out of place but haven't understood or been able to give a name and been thinking I'm paranoid or loosing my mind for good or something - at least got a name.

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
To share my awesomeness!

sade

For me the fascination arose from reading the 4 temperament descriptions. They made so much sense it hurt. Especially since I felt a certain sense of justification for being the way I was, for the NF temperament, which had caused a lot of trouble at home.

Trope

MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w6
I love gazing at my navel.
Plus it's cool how it all works out.

Q

Qatie:)

why might people be interested in the MBTI?
My personal experience with the mbti fisrt began when a teacher gave me a test that gave me four crazy letters i happened to google
naturally people want to learn more bout themselves, but this transformed as i kept reading articles from being just another perrsonality test, to a way to understand the world. A way to understand people. People, to the NF, are intensly important. The MBTI is an amazing tool that can explain charechteristics otherwise unreasonable if left uncharted in an individual. It can explain Large details such as how people express themselves, to why my mother has to be orginiized. It is an amazing tool.

Standuble

If your story is anything like mine then the MBTI states three things:

1) I can teach you about human nature in all its facets.
2) I can teach you that you are not weird, insane and merely different.
3) I can teach you to realise what you can contribute.

Without the MBTI you're back to square one.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Knowing that I had my "head in the clouds most of the time" for a clear psychological reason.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Many reasons. Mainly a lot of discord within myself, but also how this related to others. What's wrong with me? ... Or better yet, what's wrong with others?! I don't feel like a black sheep, I just feel like a purple sheep in a field full of so many colors of sheep. Sometimes I find purple sheep with white polka dots. Or plain white sheep with purple heads. And royal blue sheep, and actual black sheep, and salmon colored sheep with birthday party hats on. But never plain old purple . :/

Typology taught me that the color of our wooly exterior is just a trick. There are only 16 kinds of sheep :).

(Forgot the avatar was even there, double win for me.)

liana

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Self-knowledge, definitely. The first time I took it, it was on an impulse - but reading the results had me thinking for the first time that my personality could be something beautiful. I think it helped a lot in affirming me, because I'd been going through a pretty rough patch at the time; so right now I have no idea if I was an INFP from the get-go, or whether my receiving that result has, instead, shaped me. Which is a somewhat troubling thought, actually. But it definitely helped me love myself more, which is, for anyone, a good thing. :)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because the Force is guiding them on an epic quest for their higher divine identity, which of course will be found in compulsively calculated psychological categorizations.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Typology communities are hotspots for Ns in general, for delving into the subject matter. We want to learn more about our type and hear people's similar experiences. There is just a sense of belonging of finding our people in our type, or at least for me. Even if not the same type, it's interesting to meet people of other types. In fact, I learn new things talking to people of other types. Also, delving into the theory goes into this phenomena. On forums like this as well as PerC, the NF and NT sections are super active while other sections are notably dormant. As for NFs, I would say it's a want to connect to other people in the typology community and better understand ourselves, friends, and family.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oooh, there's so many reasons.
1st, there was curiosity. I wanted to know if there was any truth or insight in all the hubbub.
2nd, the insights rang true and drew me in even further
3rd, the more I learned of my own type, the more curious I became of other types.

I used to have (and still do to a lesser degree) an irrational obsession with "truth". It used to drive me SO batty that 2 or more people can live through the exact same experience, yet have differing memories. "Who's right?"
The world, for me, used to be a whole lot more "black or white", "truth or lies". I've come to accept it as shades of gray. MBTI has helped with that a little.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. It is in english and I thought if I read, by any chance, some bullshit around, I may not see them.:dry::dry::dry:
Whereas on a forum in my own language I would always argue.

Apart from that very first reason :

2. Learning about different experiments about any types
3. Fighting about the clichés made about all types and getting a chance to realise what's behind what first seemed to be true.
4. Trying to know myself a bit more
5. Interacting with people who are miles away (almost like a kind of intellectual teleportation) and feel immortal.
6. Avoiding my fear of voids, like any human being I suppose
7. Satisfy my dominant function which is hungry for informations
8. Trying to know what to do with that inferior function.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually found it a nice introspection tool, a way to understand the way I think better, and how it differs from say another type, so I could communicate better or understand someone else better.

The allure of being lectured by pseudo intellectuals who spend more time with their puffy faces pressed between two covers of a book- or these days more than likely pressed against a monitor or other electronic device- than out and about in the universe they claim to be so enlightened about.

Or perhaps it was the rumor that there would be punch and pie. I have yet to see either.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member