User Tag List

123 Last

Default How often do you hide your emotions?

I would not be suprised that there is already a slimilar thread.

I am watching NFs(and SFs) on this forum and it looks to me that a number of people is much "softer" then people in reality.

The most obvious conclusion why things look this way is because in reality people really hide their emotions. Probably because they make them vulnerable.

So, how often are you afraid that people will figure out what you are actually feeling?

Also I think that this is one of the main reasons why many Fs can look like Ts in real liife.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I always hide my emotions in my daily life. Most people who know about MBTI mistake me for an INTP when they see me in the real world. However there are some differences, they are just subtle. I am generally "softer" than thinkers, even though I mask my emotions. I'm not as logical about stuff either. I am driven by the desire for inner peace (like if something is bothering me then it will be noticeable by my facial expressions, and I'll have to get it off my chest). Those are pretty subtle things though.

I'm not really afraid of someone finding out how I am feeling. I do however try to avoid letting the person know my deeper emotions or deeper feelings about something unless they are close to me or trusted. I don't know whether that is an NF thing or INFP thing or what.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i generally feel comfortable enough not to need to and i don't do fake. i usually feel pretty positively towards people and if i do have an issue i typically approach it with the intent to resolve it so have no problem stating my opinion.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ISFJ

I think F is very misunderstood in general. A healthy F is in control of his/her emotions most of the time. Just because I'm passionate about my values does not mean I lose my temper when dealing with adversity. If that were the case I'd be in constant distress since I have a good idea about how I feel about most things - meaning I have a well defined stance in most scenarios as far as what is the right and wrong course of action.

Yes, no one in real life would ever guess I'm an F, if they went for the cruder definition. It's funny because the other day I introduced MBTI to two close friends of mine, who I've known for 12 years, and they both agreed I was a T. Based on what? Surprise, surprise, I do logic and "removed" and I don't lose my calm! :P

If Ts are generally given credit for their ease with logic then Fs should generally be given credit for their ease with emotions. Ease does not equate transparency, but rather, control and relativization.

I don't think it's a "F vs T" phenomenon so much as a "the internet and being anonymous" phenomenon. Assuming this is indeed a fact.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

that's a good point sy...i think i do feel comfortable because i'm confident in my ability to express myself in a calm, tactful manner.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Whenever I'm around strongly expressed Ts who I think might be intimidated by emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I think F is very misunderstood in general. A healthy F is in control of his/her emotions most of the time. Just because I'm passionate about my values does not mean I lose my temper when dealing with adversity. If that were the case I'd be in constant distress since I have a good idea about how I feel about most things - meaning I have a well defined stance in most scenarios as far as what is the right and wrong course of action.

Yes, no one in real life would ever guess I'm an F, if they went for the cruder definition. It's funny because the other day I introduced MBTI to two close friends of mine, who I've known for 12 years, and they both agreed I was a T. Based on what? Surprise, surprise, I do logic and "removed" and I don't lose my calm! :P

If Ts are generally given credit for their ease with logic then Fs should generally be given credit for their ease with emotions. Ease does not equate transparency, but rather, control and relativization.

I don't think it's a "F vs T" phenomenon so much as a "the internet and being anonymous" phenomenon. Assuming this is indeed a fact.
    I am not suprised. I know one guy and I couldn't type him. Everything I tryed did not work well and then one day it all become clear.
    The guy is actually hidden ENFP. (probably)

We were never close but the guy was always somehow unusual for a guy,
    He was too kind.

I know him from quite sometime but I had to go letter by letter for things to make sense.

This is the main reason why I believe you that you are ENFP.

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one
    So, how often are you afraid that people will figure out what you are actually feeling?
    I could care less if someone notices surface emotions, although I am and appear mostly indifferent more often than not so it's hard for most people to discern anything other than aloofness. Of deeper feelings they're always hidden, mostly because I wouldn't know what they were unless they punched me in the face. And I'm sometimes chickenshit of getting a bloody nose when I spy a fist.

I am watching NFs(and SFs) on this forum and it looks to me that a number of people is much "softer" then people in reality.
    NF/SF being softer. Not necessarily true. If I were to compare myself to most 'softer' F people in this reality I wouldn't see myself as an F. In concrete reality if I compare myself to people I recognise as being T, I'd think they're deformed buggy Fs while I'm the emotionlessly scrupulous T. F doesn't equal emotions. T doesn't equal logic. Ji (Fi/Ti) scrutinizes them inwardly and Je (Fe/Te) assess them outwardly but this is one aspect of how they work. And it doesn't mean they'll work easier for you just because you've got them, you have to make them work. More bellows below.

Also I think that this is one of the main reasons why many Fs can look like Ts in real liife.
    Yea, Fs types can appear less emotional than Ts but I don't think those reasons you have hold for all F types.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg
    If is right lol. I agree. Neither should be given an easy credit just for having the skill but how they develop and maintain them consistently over time. A person in control of themselves, with their F and T functions, will not easily succumb to volatile feelings or ill use of logic, regarding their own or others', as often than an imbalanced person would.

MBTI
    INtJ

It's a tough one... I am very emotional and can let my emotions out, but it surprises people when I do, I get comments like "I thought you were strong" - that kind of upsets me, that I'm there for others to share how they feel and allow them the safety of showing their emotions, but when I do it means they are often not happy with the dynamics... I guess it's like a teacher halfway through a lesson saying to his class "I'm not sure about this next bit - you teach me"....

I need to cry though, there are times when it's all locked up inside and a good cry is the only way out, usually because of the above, it's on my own - there are very few people I can now cry in front of - sad but true!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w8

I'm pretty quick to express the positive emotions. I'm open with my negative emotions to a point, but if I get too frustrated, or disappointed, or angry I just shut up, shut down, and leave. I need to deal with things on my own and cool off, before I'm able to communicate with someone again.
    R[a]ngl[e]r