User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you hide your emotions?

9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Another reason people seem different on the forum than in real daily life is because in a forum there are no interrelation agendas. Life is so full of agendas you really cannot share emotions and express yourself honestly.'s the opposite for me. irl i know who i'm talking to so i can be more open...the relationship is more defined so there's a comfort there.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

1w9 sx/so

It depends.. I usually just don't express them. It's not that I'm hiding them. It's that expressing them just isn't me. If I trust you though, I loosen up. I think you can distinguish my feelings rather well even when I "hide" them.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I often hide my emotions in daily life. Generally I've found people can't handle emotions and sharing them comes back to bite you in the ass if you're not careful.

I'd much rather just work through any emotions and feelings I have myself. Talking about and showing them only leads to be being put in the hot seat. Interrogation on why you feel that way and to having something you felt and expressed being hung around your neck so to speak.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

Revealed emotions: non-revealed emotions
    25%: 75%
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

lab rat extraordinaire Array CrystalViolet's Avatar
    5w4 sx/sp

No I generally don't show my feelings (for real), only when they are fairly intense and I can't contain them any longer. People really can't deal with the intensity of my emotions, so I hold back a great deal, because I know most people get burnt in the fire, so to speak. Only a couple of friends have an inkling just intensely I feel about things.
    One friend used to say to me "I never know how you feel, you just seem to pour it all into your latest project."
    This friend also used to say she knew I was angry with someone, when I'd started intellectualising at them, and she prayed that she would never be on the receiving end of that, but even then, that's not exactly an expression of emotion. Only some one who knew me very well would know that's a defence mechanism (and part of the reason I'm borderline T/F).
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

too often
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

the Dark Prophet of Kualu Array Serendipity's Avatar

All the time. Makes life easier and when hidden, it's like they do not exist any longer.
    Open for interpretation.
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari

Striving for balance Array Little Linguist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I would not be suprised that there is already a slimilar thread.

I am watching NFs(and SFs) on this forum and it looks to me that a number of people is much "softer" then people in reality.

The most obvious conclusion why things look this way is because in reality people really hide their emotions. Probably because they make them vulnerable.

So, how often are you afraid that people will figure out what you are actually feeling?

Also I think that this is one of the main reasons why many Fs can look like Ts in real liife.
    COMPLETELY!!!! *Everyone* tells me I look like a hardcore T in real life. While discussing personality tests by coincidence one day (my student is into these tests as well - lucky coincidence we happened upon), she insisted "'re NOT a feeler - you're totally a THINKER!!!!!" Pfft, I didn't know whether to take that as a compliment or not hahahahaa.

My husband complains, "You never tell me what you're thinking and feeling. I always have to pull it out of you like a dentist pulling teeth. Ughhhh!"

Well, shit, I used to be a LOT worse when I was younger!!!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Senior Member Array

Personally I'd say it's not about hiding but controlling.
    But still, about 80% of emotion isn't expressed, I get complaints for people not knowing what I'm feeling or thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post
    Sometimes I'm caught off guard with my non-other-people-effected expression on my face - those are the closest glimpses that most people will ever get to seeing me, to my emotional atmosphere. Then people will get worried and say: "Are you ok? You look so serious".
    Lol. I'm not bound to show my normal facial expression to others, but I get the opposite. I look too serious and composed, and start making others feel uneasy.

I don't hide them, they're just not there most of the time. If I'm pissed, you'll know it, but I'll also show hapiness if I feel it as well.

Then again, I am an INTJ.
    "By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."