User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Gonna meet up with an ESFJ.

Am I doomed?

I've heard that we may not understand each other (N v. S), but we got along swimmingly on the phone.

I'm not 100% about her type, how can I tell?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I dated an ESFJ for many years so I can probably help you, however your question is a bit too open ended and I'm having a hard time collecting all of the experiences floating around in my head into a list of character traits. Perhaps you can tell me about her and I'll tell you if she matches my experience.

As for the doomed bit, it was a fiery, passionate relationship with a lot of fighting and a lot of making up. She was a bit more image conscious than I liked and there was a definite element of seeing me as sort of a trophy to show off. She was a lot more open about me to other people than I liked. I'm a private person and she had a habit of blabbing my crazy to everyone and embarrassing me.

MBTI
    INFJ

I've heard that the intuitive talking style doesn't always get along with the sensing style.

What personality characteristics stick out for ESFJ you dated?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Cronkle View Post
    I've heard that the intuitive talking style doesn't always get along with the sensing style.
    How well a sensor and and intuitive will communicate in a relationship depends on the intuitive. My ESFJ was almost totally incapable of having what I would consider a deep conversation. I mean, she tried very hard to get on my level, but fell short every time. She did find me fascinating to listen to though.

Basically, if you can take endless gossip about other people, talk about her job and her family and little feedback on intellectual topics than it wont be a problem. Some intuitives have a hard time with this though.

I remember her being more trendy than i liked too. She would listen to bands just because they were popular and such.

MBTI
    INFJ

What attracted you to her then? What did she fulfill in you?

^^question like these would probably scare an ESFJ, wouldn't they ;]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

What attracted you to her then? What did she fulfill in you?

^^question like these would probably scare an ESFJ, wouldn't they ;]
    Oh no, one of the areas we were defiantly compatible was our emotional openness with each other. We could talk endlessly about the relationship, how we made the other feel, etc.

We also connected on a values level. We'd often react to a given situation in a similar way and we were able to laugh at the same quirks we'd notice in other people. She was extremely supportive and put up with me during some of the darkest times of my life.

She was also very playful with me, we had an infinite number of inside jokes and little games we'd play together. Though I feel like it was on my shoulders to innovate the new games and jokes, she loved being playful with me regardless.

She was very physical. If your ESFJ is like mine was expect A LOT of sex and seductive sensuality. She also loved to have her back rubbed.

MBTI
    INFJ

How did you talk if it was intuitive vs. sensing? It seems like you would bump heads.

It'd be nice to connect on a values level :]]]]]

P.S. I'm a damn romantic; I love the stuff!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

How did you talk if it was intuitive vs. sensing? It seems like you would bump heads.

It'd be nice to connect on a values level :]]]]]

P.S. I'm a damn romantic; I love the stuff!
    We kind of had a weird mentor/mentee dynamic in the relationship. She would vent all of her problems to me and I would help her work through them. So a lot of our conversations were along those lines. Like I said, she would listen intently as I would ramble on about whatever my N was fixated on that day and she would often let what I said mold her view of the world. When I got to preaching about all the things wrong with the world and how I would fix them she would incorporate parts of those solutions into herself.

I think one of the problems we had though was one of jealousy. She really wanted to be as creative and effortlessly talented at so many things like I was and it would make her feel less about herself. Everything she was good at, I was better so I became some sort of unobtainable image of perfection from which she would always fall short.

As for how I dealt with the N/S divide? I didn't. It was probably one of the things that ended the relationship; after awhile she bored me. This is not to say that all sensors and all intuitives should not date or are doomed to failure. It depends on the sensor. I'm with an ISFJ currently and she is much more capable of satisfying my need for N conversation while other ISFJs I've met would be completely lost.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

OMG YER DEAD.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Don't you have enough primary Fe, young man!? *shakes a finger*