• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Physical description - INFJ

Fairy...

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I came across this physical description of INFJs which I thought was very interesting.

'INFJs have a very characteristic dispassionate facial expression. This is often reminiscent of the depiction of saints and martyrs from early Christian icons. Their faces convey the feeling that their soul is suffering even when it is not. INFjs faces are often perfect ovals but can be rectangular in shape as well. Their noses are usually straight and slightly elongated, but not prominent.

INFjs do not show intense positive emotions, instead they simply smile. All their facial expressions openly reproach nefarious happenings. The same can be noticed in their intonation. In many cases INFjs have a slim, ascetic figure. Their movements are often quite harsh although not lacking mobility. INFjs with more fuller figures are less mobile and active. When walking, INFjs may keep their feet close and parallel to the ground, maintaining a short distance between each step.'

I did not realise than type was related to build and facial features etc.
As a kid I always got called 'moonface'. Do you INFJs out there match this description?

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
That fits me really well. Except for the walking part. I walk fast with big steps.

janey_girl

MBTI Type
INtJ
I've often been told that I have deep and lovely eyes, they can prtray an inner innocence but incredible wisdom at the same time...

I am tall and I think my movements can be harsh at times....

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are their souls ever not suffering?

...No :cry:

:)

I believe this is a Socionics description. MBTI doesn't relate type to physical features or physical expressions.

But the description does fit somewhat. I have an oval shaped face, people who don't know me often think I'm sad or frustrated, and my facial expressions do change involuntarily in relation to my internal reactions to what's going on around me. I do walk with my feet close together and with short steps, looking straight ahead. The only part that doesn't fit is that I will laugh aloud if I'm very amused, if I'm only slightly amused I will smile/grin.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
very silly. people come in all shapes and sizes. has nothing to do with what "type" you are.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
very silly. people come in all shapes and sizes. has nothing to do with what "type" you are.

Shh you aren't supposed to have common sense!

Shinzon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Not necessary. If you are born with your type, that means it must be passed to you like all your other features by combination of your parents dominant and recessive genes. If type is genetic, then there may be certain outwardly features that are similar between people of the same type by way of those two people possibly having a common ancestor somewhere way back in the family tree.

That said, I doubt anyone matches their socionics description perfectly.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Not necessary. If you are born with your type, that means it must be passed to you like all your other features by combination of your parents dominant and recessive genes. If type is genetic, then there may be certain outwardly features that are similar between people of the same type by way of those two people possibly having a common ancestor somewhere way back in the family tree.

That said, I doubt anyone matches their socionics description perfectly.

But who believes type is genetic and, more importantly, why?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that fits my infj mother...how weird.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
Like a glove...but that's just me.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
i'm also a taurus and it's pretty amazing how all taureans have small heads with potato bodies. :D

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On what are they basing these descriptions? Observations? Imagination? Genetics? The paintings referred to are stylized within the context of a particular aesthetic. It sounds like the INFJ physical description is an attempt to describe the look of a person from a stylized Medieval - Renaissance painting right down to the nasal descriptions and how one might reasonably animate the picture and keep it stylistically coherent. In reality what could the connection be between cognitive processing and facial shape and nose length? If you step back and question it, it is really senseless.

I came across this physical description of INFJs which I thought was very interesting.

'INFJs have a very characteristic dispassionate facial expression. This is often reminiscent of the depiction of saints and martyrs from early Christian icons. Their faces convey the feeling that their soul is suffering even when it is not. INFjs faces are often perfect ovals but can be rectangular in shape as well. Their noses are usually straight and slightly elongated, but not prominent.

INFjs do not show intense positive emotions, instead they simply smile. All their facial expressions openly reproach nefarious happenings. The same can be noticed in their intonation. In many cases INFjs have a slim, ascetic figure. Their movements are often quite harsh although not lacking mobility. INFjs with more fuller figures are less mobile and active. When walking, INFjs may keep their feet close and parallel to the ground, maintaining a short distance between each step.'

I did not realise than type was related to build and facial features etc.
As a kid I always got called 'moonface'. Do you INFJs out there match this description?
But to be fair, the bolded portions do apply to me as well. My feet usually remain a strictly parallel six inches from the ground. The rectangle face is helpful in fitting through doorways.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah....the physical features tied to type are pretty stupid. Facial expressions/mannerisms? That's conceivable - but physical characteristics, no.

Of that blurb, I might have a dispassionate expression when I'm by myself just thinking about things, I sort of have an oval face, and I'm slim, but I don't think anything else from the description fits me, nor do I think any of those things are tied to the infj type, and ONLY the infj type. (you could have people from all of the other types read that description and find a few sentences that are applicable to them. Kinda like newspaper horoscopes. :))

B

beyondaurora

Yeah....the physical features tied to type are pretty stupid. Facial expressions/mannerisms? That's conceivable - but physical characteristics, no.

Of that blurb, I might have a dispassionate expression when I'm by myself just thinking about things, I sort of have an oval face, and I'm slim, but I don't think anything else from the description fits me, nor do I think any of those things are tied to the infj type, and ONLY the infj type. (you could have people from all of the other types read that description and find a few sentences that are applicable to them. Kinda like newspaper horoscopes. :))

Well, if this stuff really meant anything...I would definitely be INFJ since cascademn and I are honorary twins. ;)

The socionics.com gives many celebrity INFJ examples which portray a very distinct look that I have yet to recognize in any INFJ on here at least.

So, is there a correlation with physical features? I think not. But mannerisms and facial expressions, perhaps.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Determining physical presence based upon personality type seems rather silly to me, and I subscribe to the belief that Jungian type is more nature than nurture.

Shinzon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
But who believes type is genetic and, more importantly, why?

How else exactly could someone have a type that they were born with and which was immutable throughout their life?

First, we accept that a persons personality is dominated by a set of four of eight cognitive functions and the comparative strength of these functions skews how an individual views reality to such an extent that it would create a set of personality traits that each person would trend towards regardless of different life experience. For example, an ENFP is able to type himself as an ENFP because his cognitive function preference skewed his perception of reality in such a way that independently created a pattern of behavior that falls under the label ENFP. This is basically the basis of typology.

Now, we ask why those four cognitive functions are favored? If the different cognitive functions are handled by different areas of the brain than the ease in which these cognitive functions interact could account for the apparent strength differences. For example, in an INFJ, the area responsible for introverted intuition function has a larger number of neural pathways connecting it to the area which controls extroverted feeling facilitating the easy swapping of electrical impulses between the two. This creates a personality dominated by those cognitive functions.

If we postulate that each infants brain comes slightly pre-wired to favor certain cognitive centers, we can accept that those centers would have a natural leg-up on other cognitive centers insuring they will get more use and thus overtime skewing their personalities into the categories and generalities which make up typeology. Since new neural pathways can be created through use, this also explains why a person can choose to develop and become adept at any cognitive function.

So again, if we are born with our type as seems to be necessitated by the idea of static personality types and cognitive function preference, what else could it be but the result of the gene combination that takes place at conception?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I hate to be poking at discrepancies... but socionics' physical description is rather vague... "INFjs with more fuller figures are less mobile and active" *cough* gee anybody can tell you that one. Never believe in face typing myself either.

To humor, things true for me in bold, things false for me crossed out.

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
I guess I'm sort of like that. Slim and rectangle face and long nose. I suppose a nice person might compare my face to a saint. In my opinion, I generally forget I have a face and just look kind of spacey. But I think I'm just as good at showing happy emotion as I am at showing unhappy. Last night Lee told me I often have a worried look on my face, slightly solemn, "as though it's all going to go wrong in the end, and we should hope for the best, but it's really futile because it will all go WRONG!" But I think he was just egging me on...