User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp

Default attaching special meanings to songs

which type would you say has the biggest tendency to attach deep & perhaps emotionally charged meanings to specific songs that are, of course. quite special to the individual?

do you think nfs do this a lot?

MBTI
    INFP

INFP

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

My ISFJ friend does this a lot. "Awww, this song reminds me of the time Stephen and I went skating in the Commons."

garbage

Yeah, it definitely seems like it would be a Si + Feeler tendency..

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think it's a HU+MAN thing...

Music has been linked to so much different types of neural and hormonal activity. It's unfair to say that it's more this way than that.

Everyone has those songs that make them cry. Everyone has those songs that make them think of that time, back in 2004. Everyone.

You can say that it's a Fi thing... but to say that it's a type thing is... unfair.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Everyone has those songs that make them cry. Everyone has those songs that make them think of that time, back in 2004. Everyone.

You can say that it's a Fi thing... but to say that it's a type thing is... unfair.
    True that. I just think it's what the song makes us think of that differentiates us. (ie: The song "Just Dance" makes me somewhat sad, but makes my friend, whose specific type I do not know, laugh). On the other hand, I can't listen to the radio with one Se friend who has about half of the music playing associated with an ex boyfriend. (To avoid that, we stick to musicals a lot now, haha.)

Anyway, all types associate with music. We just do so in our own unique ways.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

The mystery of emotion is also evidence in the INTP's use of music. He always chooses to listen to music which suits his current emotional state, be it aggression, warmth, excitement, relaxation or whatever. Hence, the emotional state is assumed to be an unchangeable, mysterious property of himself. It is easier to choose appropriate music than to attempt to influence this. People with introverted Feeling, Fi, however, will deliberately choose to listen to music which helps them change and improve their mood. INTPs could never do that. They feel an unpleasant sense of disharmony whenever a music style clashes with their emotional state. Indeed, it is remarkable how much attention they pay to their emotions when music is involved.
    So basically, the meanings aren't attached by me, they are already there.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I don't attach real-life experiences or memories to songs, that would just ruin them for me. For me, it's more like attaching emotions, imagined scenes and creating stories for songs. A good song brings me into its world, which I can then explore.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Listening to music is a way for me study people that I will probably meet or have met at some point in my life and to locate different dials on the emotional and intellectual spectrum that might be associated with those so that I am more well-equipped to accept their notions and maybe even challenge them (and myself) constructively.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Costrin, how creepy of you to post this little article, as I was just thinking about it an hour ago or so. Music can very successfully change my emotional state. It's not some kind of an uncontrollable force, that changes my mood even though I'm trying to resist. Rather, I open myself to the music and allow it to form my mood and let it take me into its world, as I said above.

I even tried it out by changing to some mellow folk music after a while of really depressing funeral doom. Worked well.
    But again, it's not an uncontrollable thing, it's like it says in the article, I usually choose music so it would help me direct my mood into a desired direction, or take me deeper into the current one.
    It doesn't really make sense jumping directly from a sad slow-paced ambient song into an upbeat jolly folk tune, though. Except when it does sometimes. I don't know.. :P
    Don't usually think of it that much. Just listen to what I feel like listening.

EDIT: Would be weird if you actually wrote that thing yourself, and I am referring to it as "this article". Haha.