• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] attaching special meanings to songs

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
which type would you say has the biggest tendency to attach deep & perhaps emotionally charged meanings to specific songs that are, of course. quite special to the individual?

do you think nfs do this a lot?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My ISFJ friend does this a lot. "Awww, this song reminds me of the time Stephen and I went skating in the Commons."

G

garbage

Yeah, it definitely seems like it would be a Si + Feeler tendency..

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think it's a HU+MAN thing...

Music has been linked to so much different types of neural and hormonal activity. It's unfair to say that it's more this way than that.

Everyone has those songs that make them cry. Everyone has those songs that make them think of that time, back in 2004. Everyone.

You can say that it's a Fi thing... but to say that it's a type thing is... unfair. :cry:

;)

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Everyone has those songs that make them cry. Everyone has those songs that make them think of that time, back in 2004. Everyone.

You can say that it's a Fi thing... but to say that it's a type thing is... unfair.

True that. I just think it's what the song makes us think of that differentiates us. (ie: The song "Just Dance" makes me somewhat sad, but makes my friend, whose specific type I do not know, laugh). On the other hand, I can't listen to the radio with one Se friend who has about half of the music playing associated with an ex boyfriend. (To avoid that, we stick to musicals a lot now, haha.)

Anyway, all types associate with music. We just do so in our own unique ways. :headphne:

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
The mystery of emotion is also evidence in the INTP's use of music. He always chooses to listen to music which suits his current emotional state, be it aggression, warmth, excitement, relaxation or whatever. Hence, the emotional state is assumed to be an unchangeable, mysterious property of himself. It is easier to choose appropriate music than to attempt to influence this. People with introverted Feeling, Fi, however, will deliberately choose to listen to music which helps them change and improve their mood. INTPs could never do that. They feel an unpleasant sense of disharmony whenever a music style clashes with their emotional state. Indeed, it is remarkable how much attention they pay to their emotions when music is involved.

So basically, the meanings aren't attached by me, they are already there.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't attach real-life experiences or memories to songs, that would just ruin them for me. For me, it's more like attaching emotions, imagined scenes and creating stories for songs. A good song brings me into its world, which I can then explore.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Listening to music is a way for me study people that I will probably meet or have met at some point in my life and to locate different dials on the emotional and intellectual spectrum that might be associated with those so that I am more well-equipped to accept their notions and maybe even challenge them (and myself) constructively.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Costrin, how creepy of you to post this little article, as I was just thinking about it an hour ago or so. Music can very successfully change my emotional state. It's not some kind of an uncontrollable force, that changes my mood even though I'm trying to resist. Rather, I open myself to the music and allow it to form my mood and let it take me into its world, as I said above.

I even tried it out by changing to some mellow folk music after a while of really depressing funeral doom. Worked well. :)
But again, it's not an uncontrollable thing, it's like it says in the article, I usually choose music so it would help me direct my mood into a desired direction, or take me deeper into the current one.
It doesn't really make sense jumping directly from a sad slow-paced ambient song into an upbeat jolly folk tune, though. Except when it does sometimes. I don't know.. :p
Don't usually think of it that much. Just listen to what I feel like listening.

EDIT: Would be weird if you actually wrote that thing yourself, and I am referring to it as "this article". Haha.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I attach meaning to songs ALL the time. I mean ALL the time. It's a sickness. :(

Lotr246

I've had this discussion before with an xNFP. She likes songs that relate to her own experience. For me, songs really have no personal meaning. I would say the song is usually separate from my own experience. I appreciate the song for its own meaning or for its ability to bring meaning to my life. But then again, some songs are just good to listen to.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oddly enough, I hardly remember the lyrics to many songs, unless they are so obviously sang/spoken.
If the vocalist has a really phenomenal voice, my brain categorizes it as another instrument in the track and the whole thing fits together.

I think Seal said the reason he doesn't publish the lyrics of his tracks is that regardless of what they are, or what he sang, in his opinion it is what the listener THINKS he heard that matters most.

:)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sure - the songs I listen to depend greatly on my mood and what I need to do. When I do some kind of academic work, I find it conducive to listen to classical music. When I work out, I like something I can move to...

Music helps awaken my fantasy, and if it has no words, I often think of a little story that would fit to the music...I've done that since I was a little girl.

I always used to dance and make little musicals to classical music - not that they were any good, but it's fun!!! :devil:

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Oddly enough, I hardly remember the lyrics to many songs, unless they are so obviously sang/spoken.
If the vocalist has a really phenomenal voice, my brain categorizes it as another instrument in the track and the whole thing fits together.

I do that too. Plus it doesn't help that a lot of times when I'm listening to music I'm doing other things also, and therefore distracted.