• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] For all types: do you like driving a car?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Do you like driving? When I ask this, I don't mean liking it for the "FREEDOM" or flexibility it gives you. I mean, do you like the actual physical task of driving? Do you find it easy or hard to concentrate on everything around you? Do you enjoy the sensations of driving?

And what functional strengths do you think most facilitate safe driving?

Why am I asking? I drove for about 5 hours today and pondered this question. So I'm tossing it out here!

wolfy

awsm
I love driving. I find it easy to concentrate. Functions? Se I guess.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yes i do...i love it most if i have somewhere far away to go...i'm by myself and no concern for time and some really great music.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Damn skippy.

Give me a car, and a full tank of gas, and I'll drive till I run out of road. :D

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't enjoy the act of driving. I think the function it uses is Se. I have very little of this when tired which makes driving a concerted effort. My mom loves driving and I think she is an ISFP. It could actually use a bit of Te as well. I think that is what I rely on most when driving. I think mostly of the physics of driving, so when I project a scenario based on current speeds and directions, I can focus on that system and be fine, but sudden changes can throw me off. I also have to watch to not get stressed if there is a system that makes sense to me for how the cars to function (for example the zipper effect when heavy traffic is merging onto an interstate), and then the actual vehicles are behaving randomly, it's hard to know what to expect and I get rather anxious about that.

something boring

MBTI Type
nnja
Enneagram
4w5
I love driving...if there is no one else on the road...lol
Actually, I mostly like it anyway, but I really struggled with certain aspects when I was first learning to drive, specifically spatial-type stuff.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I dont think driving has much to do with the functions. After a while it becomes second nature.. its like asking do you like walking?.. but Se definitely makes for safer driving.. paying attention to your surroundings and all.

G

garbage

I absolutely cannot give up my stick shift. Yeah, you laugh at me when I have to shift gears in heavy traffic, but you're astonished at how I can make my car do pretty much anything I want it to do, all the time.

Plus, it's fun!!

Also, can't forget blaring high-energy music while you're cruising down the highway :rock:

SuperServal

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I absolutely cannot give up my stick shift.

Hehe. Automatics feel clunky and distant. With my standard I feel like I'm sorta plugged into the nervous system of my car. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

And hell yes I love driving. I usually end up zoning out if I know where I'm going and suddenly I'm at the destination. Kinda scary....I don't remember getting there....but I did!

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Do you enjoy the sensations of driving?

And what functional strengths do you think most facilitate safe driving

Yes, I enjoy driving. I used to have a (#)_(#) WRX that I loved to death. I started to hate how much gas it used (when gas was $5 per gallon or more) and things like the AC going out, etc. So, it was 7 years old anyway so I traded it in last year on a Toyota Matrix. Big mistake; I have driving the Matrix. Its electric steering is numb, it handles like a muffin blob on wheels, the brakes are not great, etc. Every day I think about trading it in on another WRX and I would have already if not for the stupid economy! :angry: :9436::ranting::thumbdown::censored:

I can't speak for others, but for driving I do not use S so much as Ne. I don't see what is, but I see what could be. If there is an intersection coming up I don't look at the cars near the intersection so much as continually think ahead in time by 20-30 seconds and think how much time I need to slow down for the intersection, what if the light is turning yellow should I go through or not (this is before I get to the intersection, at a point in the future) and the likelihood that someone is going to run the red light and smuck into me as I go through the intersection. If I see a minivan near a school, I don't so much see the minivan as see the future possibilities of what the minivan will do. It may stop suddenly in the middle of the road, and either a kid will run out of the van to join other kids waiting for the schoolbus, or a kid will run out of the minivan to be dropped off at a friend's house, etc. If I see someone on a cellphone I don't so much see them on a cellphone as see the future possibility of them running the red light at the next intersection in 20 seconds because they are distracted, or else possibly also slamming on the brakes suddenly at the yellow light instead of continuing through the intersection because since they are distracted they are not sure they would make it through the intersection before the light turns red, whereas anyone else would have naturally continued through the intersection. If I am not prepared to leave enough distance between myself and them to stop in time of this eventuality, bad things may happen...

So, while driving I am sensing the tactile feel of the steering wheel, the road noise, etc., but I am focused mainly on future possibilities of what will happen next...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I am the only one so far who doesn't love driving? Maybe because there is a social pressure to want to drive, so the others with an orientation like me are just staying quiet? Or maybe it actually is a little rare (although our sample size thus far in the thread is meager).

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love driving. Never tire of it. Traffic's never an issue. I don't experience road rage.
Good music is a must... but even in total silence I've always got my random imagination keeping me entertained.
I drove from NH to LA in about a day & a half this time last year. Stopped once along the way for sleep [not counting gas/bathroom stops]. My INTJ friend was along for the ride; played the role of navigator on our journey. I pretty much drove the entire way, and didn't get sick of it once, even when I got sleepy near the last leg of it, I was thoroughly enjoying myself.

Generally speaking, driving down the highway in the middle of the night, or right at dawn/dusk, have to be my favorite times to be in my car, & quite possibly the only moments I'm more consciously aware/appreciative of my external environment behind the wheel. (& no. I never get in accidents. :rolli:)
Only time I'm not a huge fan of driving, is in the rain at night, if there's a lot of oncoming traffic. Glare. But even then, it's not completely intolerable.

As far as which functions might potentially facilitate driving.. well.. for my type, I'd initially presume Se & perhaps, combine that a little bit with the Ni. Over the years, the vehicle feels, for me at least, kind of like an extension of myself. Often, it feels as if I'm hardly aware of the moment-by-moment physical maneuvers or decisions I make while driving, almost like it's all involuntary, like blinking or breathing.
..If that makes sense.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't like driving.
Actually I guess it would be more clear to say I am indifferent.

I guess I just think too much about how 50% of the people that drive are idiots it seems.

If the streets are completely clear though? Then I am indifferent.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
I've never learned to drive a car.

I like motorcycles, though.

SuperServal

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
toonia said:
So I am the only one so far who doesn't love driving? Maybe because there is a social pressure to want to drive, so the others with an orientation like me are just staying quiet? Or maybe it actually is a little rare (although our sample size thus far in the thread is meager).

I don't like driving all the time. It's great fun if I'm in the right mood, but it can get quite tedious in heavy traffic. Also, I want to try to ween myself off of cars.....I want to move into a larger city with public transportation and better bicycling opportunities. We can't keep consuming energy with personal automobiles like we are (in the United States at least). So in an ideological sense I want to drive less. But as an actual activity I mostly enjoy it.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Me! I dislike driving quite a bit, but still do it for a lot of reasons that I won't repeat at this juncture because I'm afraid of getting whooped by someone who wuvs dare gassy little sweetums.

To me, cars symbolize what it's like to live in great big 'ol America (particularly great big California, with nothing but road between San Francisco and LA) and the independent lifestyle that--paradoxically enough--sustains itself as part of the social climate.

Just slap the car on the endless list of human inventions that can make life easier but tend to be taken advantage of.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love driving. I usually get lost in thought, while still driving safe. It's fun. It gives me a chance to gather my thoughts.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't like driving.
Actually I guess it would be more clear to say I am indifferent.

I guess I just think too much about how 50% of the people that drive are idiots it seems.

If the streets are completely clear though? Then I am indifferent.

I wonder if that could be related to what I was describing about using Te more than Se when driving. If you think about the most efficient/reasonable system for the vehicles to function, and the process and roads seem designed for that system, but then the actual vehicles are quite random, it can be disconcerting. As a defensive driver, it takes energy to guage every possible scenario that can go wrong. I like being able to maneuver my vehicle well around tough spots, but it is more pleasant if I'm the one in control and not tons of unpredictable steel on every side of me going 75+mph. If all the other cars were operating on computer chips in one coherent system, I think I might love driving once I could know the ins and outs of that system.

Me! I dislike driving quite a bit, but still do it for a lot of reasons that I won't repeat at this juncture because I'm afraid of getting whooped by someone who wuvs dare gassy little sweetums...
Ha. Yeah, I have to drive quite a bit. I drive about 1 hour to and from work every day and often on weekends, so a minimum of 10 hours a week.