• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] For all types: do you like driving a car?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Love the open road.

OMG OMG, I want a motorcycle so badly I can taste the handlebars.

omnomnom

P

Phantonym

Mostly it's the constant need to pay attention to a ton of things at once and the constant concern that I'll space out and hit someone...or that someone else will space out and hit me. I have very little trust for other people in cars because I don't really trust myself.

My thoughts exactly! It's so tiring and I always feel like a nervous wreck after driving so I don't do it unless I really, really have to. I've only had my licence for a couple of years now but I really don't feel comfortable driving and I don't think I ever will. For me it's not something to be taken lightly. I really don't trust other drivers around me and I often feel that they are taking driving too lightly and this is why accidents happen. In my opinion, no matter how good of a driver you are, you can never be too confident because you cannot control others around you.

I don't like driving a car myself but I love if someone else is at the wheel :D I mostly like listening to music and watching the things pass outside the window. Then I kind of space out and immerse completely into my own thoughts. But there's always this feeling of anxiety deep down so I'm always glad to get to the destination alive :D

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I love driving. I've been known to jump in my car with no plan/destination and just drive for miles. I get to explore, listen to music and it's relaxing.

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
No, I am afraid to drive~! I prefer to have someone else drive, or to take a bus or a train. I like letting my brain turn to mush on the long commute home. :)

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I am the only one so far who doesn't love driving? Maybe because there is a social pressure to want to drive, so the others with an orientation like me are just staying quiet? Or maybe it actually is a little rare (although our sample size thus far in the thread is meager).

I was contemplating just lurking and reading this topic, but I'm among those that closely match your view there. - at the present time I'm still in the "learning to drive" and "working on my driving confidence" phase and not yet a licensed driver.

The actual act of opperating a motor vehicle is kinda fun, but its having to deal with all the other people on the road that I absolutly dread. I simply do not trust other humans to be alert or courteous enough to obey the rules of the road with sufficient accuracy to be afe drivers (if they raised the age required to get a licence to at least 21 and installed cell phone jamming devices (which would be powered by the engine so they would turn off when the engine is off) and breathalizer ignition switches in all cars I'd feel a lot safer), so I feel that the pressure is on me to be extremely cautious and to be on the lookout for reckless drivers, and since I have a natural inclination to be oblivious to my surroundings, maintaining focus to drive responsibly takes all the energy I can give it.

do you like the actual physical task of driving?
Yes

Do you find it easy or hard to concentrate on everything around you?
Extremely difficult

Do you enjoy the sensations of driving?
I like the feeling of speed on an open highway, but the stress of dealing with city driving is horrible.

And what functional strengths do you think most facilitate safe driving?
Se - awareness and reflexes
Ti - making quick reactions (quick thinking)

ConchShell

MBTI Type
ENFP
No. My Ne fuels a lot of dramatic imagination and I'm always anxious about what could happen in the shape of an accident.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I enjoy driving. (obvious statement: as long as I'm not in rush hour traffic or stop-and-go)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I absolutely cannot give up my stick shift. Yeah, you laugh at me when I have to shift gears in heavy traffic, but you're astonished at how I can make my car do pretty much anything I want it to do, all the time.

Is automatic transmission the standard in the US? I've always driven stick shift and will say that it's at least 50% of the fun of driving a car (for me anyways).

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Se - awareness and reflexes
Ti - making quick reactions (quick thinking)

Si- Remembering the road rules
Ni- Being aware of upcoming hazards
Ne- Interpreting intent of fellow road users
Fi- Concern for the safety of other road users
Fe- Driver courtesy (in theory, although I know some Fe doms with amusing road rage)
Te- Figuring the safest routes/courses of action

maliafee

I enjoy driving but I have made stupid mistakes/had close calls when severely distracted (as has my ISFP dad). Driving is typically easy and natural for me, though.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Is automatic transmission the standard in the US? I've always driven stick shift and will say that it's at least 50% of the fun of driving a car (for me anyways).

Yes. Don't have an exact figure, but few cars (that are not "sports cars") are sold in the U.S. with a manual.

I have an automatic now, had a manual before. I hate the automatic. It does not move when it does not want to, even if you put your foot through the floor, which is in my mind dangerous.

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
I look forward to driving because it is both relaxing and requires alertness ... it feels really nice to just let your body do something and respond realtime to changing situations. It feels really really nice.

I like to use driving to practice being aware and having a calm mind because it is an activity particularly well suited to this.

In America many people actually need a car.
You neglected the public system of transport.

Europe is another thing altogether.
We have no need for private automobiles.
There is an excellent system of public transport all across Europe.

Must be nice. I wouldn't drive if it were easy to just get a job I like and a home I can afford close together, or if public transportation here did not take me an extra 2 hours each day vs. driving.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I LOVE the strategy involved in driving, though I'm lazy. I drive thinking about all the possible routes and decisions I can take and what will be the most efficient and safe way to get where I have to go. I use Ne and P.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I LOVE the strategy involved in driving, though I'm lazy. I drive thinking about all the possible routes and decisions I can take and what will be the most efficient and safe way to get where I have to go. I use Ne and P.

I am very competitive when I drive, in the strategy department. If I see a car behind me, and then 7 miles down the road, through turns and by-ways and backroads secret passages, I see that from out of nowhere that same car is now in front of me, it really makes me wonder what route they took and why it was faster than mine. (Even accounting for unknown variables like stoplights and related obstacles, or the fact they may have been speeding.)

There's nothing more satisfying than following some lout who's going 10 under the speed limit, then taking a shortcut to get ahead of him, and pulling out onto a main road just in front of him with a big grin that says, "You have no more right to the road than I do, with your poor driving skills and your bad attitude toward other drivers on the road, and I've just outsmarted you. Now park it and give up or I shall be forced to taunt you a second time." :D

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I adore driving. In fact, I'd say it's probably my number one extra-curricular activity at the moment. The physical aspect of it, of distance judgment, of maneuvering, is all very pleasing to me. Relaxing (except in heavy traffic, of course).

V

violaine

I am very competitive when I drive, in the strategy department. If I see a car behind me, and then 7 miles down the road, through turns and by-ways and backroads secret passages, I see that from out of nowhere that same car is now in front of me, it really makes me wonder what route they took and why it was faster than mine. (Even accounting for unknown variables like stoplights and related obstacles, or the fact they may have been speeding.)..

Haha, this is exactly what I am like. But, I feel like I know all of the shortcuts. :) (Hate when one of them doesn't work!) I like to drive really well too so I don't just go as fast as I think I can get away with. I really enjoy when I have anticipated a traffic situation and found my way around it. :)

I also love trying to find my way according to hunches. I have no idea why but it is very satisfying, especially when I get a little lost and find my way anyway.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
Blah. I hate driving. If someone else wants to drive for me, I'm always elated. I like spacing out. I don't like concentrating on the road, and I hate parking because I'm afraid I'll hit somebody.

something boring

MBTI Type
nnja
Enneagram
4w5
Originally Posted by speculative
I am very competitive when I drive, in the strategy department. If I see a car behind me, and then 7 miles down the road, through turns and by-ways and backroads secret passages, I see that from out of nowhere that same car is now in front of me, it really makes me wonder what route they took and why it was faster than mine. (Even accounting for unknown variables like stoplights and related obstacles, or the fact they may have been speeding.)..

Haha, this is exactly what I am like. But, I feel like I know all of the shortcuts. :) (Hate when one of them doesn't work!) I like to drive really well too so I don't just go as fast as I think I can get away with. I really enjoy when I have anticipated a traffic situation and found my way around it. :)

I also love trying to find my way according to hunches. I have no idea why but it is very satisfying, especially when I get a little lost and find my way anyway.

+1

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
I just got into driving after many years of not doing it and I gotta say I freakin love it. It's like an Se adventure. The way the car feels when I turn it around corners, going too fast. Mashing the pedal from 0 to the legal speed limit :)P) and hearing the hum of the engine and humming along sometimes too. It's fun!

It sucks to be you other N's. ENXJ's are the only ones with competent Se for extra safe driving! :)