User Tag List

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: For all types: do you like driving a car?

Love the open road.

OMG OMG, I want a motorcycle so badly I can taste the handlebars.

"There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Mostly it's the constant need to pay attention to a ton of things at once and the constant concern that I'll space out and hit someone...or that someone else will space out and hit me. I have very little trust for other people in cars because I don't really trust myself.

My thoughts exactly! It's so tiring and I always feel like a nervous wreck after driving so I don't do it unless I really, really have to. I've only had my licence for a couple of years now but I really don't feel comfortable driving and I don't think I ever will. For me it's not something to be taken lightly. I really don't trust other drivers around me and I often feel that they are taking driving too lightly and this is why accidents happen. In my opinion, no matter how good of a driver you are, you can never be too confident because you cannot control others around you.

I don't like driving a car myself but I love if someone else is at the wheel I mostly like listening to music and watching the things pass outside the window. Then I kind of space out and immerse completely into my own thoughts. But there's always this feeling of anxiety deep down so I'm always glad to get to the destination alive

I love driving. I've been known to jump in my car with no plan/destination and just drive for miles. I get to explore, listen to music and it's relaxing.

No, I am afraid to drive~! I prefer to have someone else drive, or to take a bus or a train. I like letting my brain turn to mush on the long commute home.

Senior Member Array TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    So I am the only one so far who doesn't love driving? Maybe because there is a social pressure to want to drive, so the others with an orientation like me are just staying quiet? Or maybe it actually is a little rare (although our sample size thus far in the thread is meager).
    I was contemplating just lurking and reading this topic, but I'm among those that closely match your view there. - at the present time I'm still in the "learning to drive" and "working on my driving confidence" phase and not yet a licensed driver.

The actual act of opperating a motor vehicle is kinda fun, but its having to deal with all the other people on the road that I absolutly dread. I simply do not trust other humans to be alert or courteous enough to obey the rules of the road with sufficient accuracy to be afe drivers (if they raised the age required to get a licence to at least 21 and installed cell phone jamming devices (which would be powered by the engine so they would turn off when the engine is off) and breathalizer ignition switches in all cars I'd feel a lot safer), so I feel that the pressure is on me to be extremely cautious and to be on the lookout for reckless drivers, and since I have a natural inclination to be oblivious to my surroundings, maintaining focus to drive responsibly takes all the energy I can give it.

do you like the actual physical task of driving?

Do you find it easy or hard to concentrate on everything around you?
    Extremely difficult

Do you enjoy the sensations of driving?
    I like the feeling of speed on an open highway, but the stress of dealing with city driving is horrible.

And what functional strengths do you think most facilitate safe driving?
    Se - awareness and reflexes
    Ti - making quick reactions (quick thinking)

No. My Ne fuels a lot of dramatic imagination and I'm always anxious about what could happen in the shape of an accident.

4 so/sp

Yes, I enjoy driving. (obvious statement: as long as I'm not in rush hour traffic or stop-and-go)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    I absolutely cannot give up my stick shift. Yeah, you laugh at me when I have to shift gears in heavy traffic, but you're astonished at how I can make my car do pretty much anything I want it to do, all the time.
    Is automatic transmission the standard in the US? I've always driven stick shift and will say that it's at least 50% of the fun of driving a car (for me anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by TenebrousReflection View Post
    Se - awareness and reflexes
    Ti - making quick reactions (quick thinking)
    Si- Remembering the road rules
    Ni- Being aware of upcoming hazards
    Ne- Interpreting intent of fellow road users
    Fi- Concern for the safety of other road users
    Fe- Driver courtesy (in theory, although I know some Fe doms with amusing road rage)
    Te- Figuring the safest routes/courses of action
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Senior Member Array

I enjoy driving but I have made stupid mistakes/had close calls when severely distracted (as has my ISFP dad). Driving is typically easy and natural for me, though.