User Tag List

First 12345 Last

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I don't enjoy the act of driving. I think the function it uses is Se. I have very little of this when tired which makes driving a concerted effort. My mom loves driving and I think she is an ISFP. It could actually use a bit of Te as well. I think that is what I rely on most when driving. I think mostly of the physics of driving, so when I project a scenario based on current speeds and directions, I can focus on that system and be fine, but sudden changes can throw me off. I also have to watch to not get stressed if there is a system that makes sense to me for how the cars to function (for example the zipper effect when heavy traffic is merging onto an interstate), and then the actual vehicles are behaving randomly, it's hard to know what to expect and I get rather anxious about that.
    This describes how I feel about driving quite well.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

So I am the only one so far who doesn't love driving? Maybe because there is a social pressure to want to drive, so the others with an orientation like me are just staying quiet? Or maybe it actually is a little rare (although our sample size thus far in the thread is meager).
    I don't like it much either. Just hadn't stumbled across the thread yet.

Mostly it's the constant need to pay attention to a ton of things at once and the constant concern that I'll space out and hit someone...or that someone else will space out and hit me. I have very little trust for other people in cars because I don't really trust myself.

I think the only time I actually enjoy the act...is maybe in brief moments of driving at night when I suddenly notice the way the light is in the car and how the night feels. But I don't think that has so much to do with driving as much as it has to do with being in a car at night.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

But then the actual vehicles are quite random, it can be disconcerting.
    Vehicles are quite like tools in my mind, they aren't really random at all. The only times they are random are during... rare occurrences that honestly require some bad luck (like a tire popping).

My opinion is that vehicles aren't random.
    People are random.

As a defensive driver, it takes energy to guage every possible scenario that can go wrong. I like being able to maneuver my vehicle well around tough spots, but it is more pleasant if I'm the one in control and not tons of unpredictable steel on every side of me going 75+mph. If all the other cars were operating on computer chips in one coherent system, I think I might love driving once I could know the ins and outs of that system.
    I completely agree.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    ENFP

I LOVE to drive. I've been obsessed with cars and driving since I was a little kid - told my dad on my 6th b-day that I only had 10 more years 'til I could get my license.

As long as I'm not tired, I can drive all day and have a blast doing it. And 5 years in Southern California has gotten me used to traffic jams. I have satellite radio in my truck, so I'm happy just sitting there.
    "I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." — Frederick Douglass

MBTI
    nnja
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by SuperServal View Post
    I usually end up zoning out if I know where I'm going and suddenly I'm at the destination. Kinda scary....I don't remember getting there....but I did!
    I have this same experience pretty frequently. I've come to accept it as some sort of introverted talent... I floated there... lol
    "Don�t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman

[SIGPIC]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/evillinclinations/fortune45.gif[/SIGPIC]

...and yes, I'm still on about that...

MBTI
    ENTP

I’ve had my share of driving jobs, and the worst was being a messenger. Anyone with a car and insurance can pretty much get hired on the spot. You’re on your own in your car all day doing pick ups and deliveries throughout the metro area, with no one to put up with. If that sounds too good to be true, it’s because it is.

The dispatchers give you radio you have to leave turned on in your car and answer whenever they call. You’re stuck with these assholes yelling at you every 5 minutes, demanding to know where you are and why you’re taking too long. That’s their prodding stick, to always make you feel like you’re going too slow. “Wtf? You should have been there a half hour ago, what were you doing all that time, playing with yourself?” They never believe your excuses for any kind of delay, true or false. Then you’ve got all your car expenses, gas & repairs. Not to mention speeding and parking tickets, the latter because you end up in situations downtown in the city, where to make time you have to take chances and park in sections where even your messenger sign doesn’t give you immunity.

Now if you were living in the future when we finally get the air cars we’ve been waiting forever for, then this would definitely be a cool job.
    i believe that i am in hell, therefore i am there.
    –arthur rimbaud

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I love riding in convertibles, and on motorcycles, and, if I trust the driver, I absolutely love, and prefer riding shotgun.

Whenever I am driving in a car, I can't help but to daydream, (which is great), listen to loud music, (which is also great), and have borderline OCD thoughts about potentially getting into a fatal, or fatally wounding car crash, (which is not great).

Whenever I get into a car, or on a motorcycle, I have to let myself go, and realize that if my time comes, it comes.

But, boy oh boy would it be awful to hit someone, or some animal, or to get into a car crash and witness someone I love die, while managing to survive with a mangled face and one arm and a leg. :/
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Do you like driving? When I ask this, I don't mean liking it for the "FREEDOM" or flexibility it gives you. I mean, do you like the actual physical task of driving? Do you find it easy or hard to concentrate on everything around you? Do you enjoy the sensations of driving?

And what functional strengths do you think most facilitate safe driving?
    I don't like driving, and I prefer others drive while I take a passenger seat. The number one reason I don't like driving is having to deal with so many other cars on the road. On a virtually empty road, I have no problem with it. The interaction with people, and their unexpected movements and decisions are what make it frustrating and sometimes a little closer to danger than I'd like.

If Se is used for handling a lot of information at once, and responding quickly, then that one.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Senior Member Valhallahereicome's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w7
    Socionics
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    Also, can't forget blaring high-energy music while you're cruising down the highway
    Damn straight!

I love driving. I'm pretty good at the whole spatial aspect of it, although it is easy for me to get lost if I don't know the neighborhood. The risk part is actually fun, and I probably tend to take more risks than I should. It's great to weave in and out of various obstacles to get exactly where you want to go, kind of like playing a video game.

Makes sense that it would use a bit of Se and Ne. I do tend to tune out my surroundings sometimes and then come back with a start: Oops, this is a very heavy metal vehicle surrounded by heavy vehicles and best to pay attention instead of daydreaming.
    Fi>Ne>Te>Ti, and 3>7>8>4. WHEEEEEEEEE!!!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    I absolutely cannot give up my stick shift. Yeah, you laugh at me when I have to shift gears in heavy traffic, but you're astonished at how I can make my car do pretty much anything I want it to do, all the time.

Plus, it's fun!!

Also, can't forget blaring high-energy music while you're cruising down the highway
    I'm not really astonished at anything other than your ability to put your car in the wrong gear for your current speed. The computer in an automatic transmission shifts gears more accurately than a human could ever hope to.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?