User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I absolutely cannot give up my stick shift.
    Hehe. Automatics feel clunky and distant. With my standard I feel like I'm sorta plugged into the nervous system of my car. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

And hell yes I love driving. I usually end up zoning out if I know where I'm going and suddenly I'm at the destination. Kinda scary....I don't remember getting there....but I did!
    9 wing 1

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Do you enjoy the sensations of driving?

And what functional strengths do you think most facilitate safe driving
    Yes, I enjoy driving. I used to have a (#)_(#) WRX that I loved to death. I started to hate how much gas it used (when gas was $5 per gallon or more) and things like the AC going out, etc. So, it was 7 years old anyway so I traded it in last year on a Toyota Matrix. Big mistake; I have driving the Matrix. Its electric steering is numb, it handles like a muffin blob on wheels, the brakes are not great, etc. Every day I think about trading it in on another WRX and I would have already if not for the stupid economy!

I can't speak for others, but for driving I do not use S so much as Ne. I don't see what is, but I see what could be. If there is an intersection coming up I don't look at the cars near the intersection so much as continually think ahead in time by 20-30 seconds and think how much time I need to slow down for the intersection, what if the light is turning yellow should I go through or not (this is before I get to the intersection, at a point in the future) and the likelihood that someone is going to run the red light and smuck into me as I go through the intersection. If I see a minivan near a school, I don't so much see the minivan as see the future possibilities of what the minivan will do. It may stop suddenly in the middle of the road, and either a kid will run out of the van to join other kids waiting for the schoolbus, or a kid will run out of the minivan to be dropped off at a friend's house, etc. If I see someone on a cellphone I don't so much see them on a cellphone as see the future possibility of them running the red light at the next intersection in 20 seconds because they are distracted, or else possibly also slamming on the brakes suddenly at the yellow light instead of continuing through the intersection because since they are distracted they are not sure they would make it through the intersection before the light turns red, whereas anyone else would have naturally continued through the intersection. If I am not prepared to leave enough distance between myself and them to stop in time of this eventuality, bad things may happen...

So, while driving I am sensing the tactile feel of the steering wheel, the road noise, etc., but I am focused mainly on future possibilities of what will happen next...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

So I am the only one so far who doesn't love driving? Maybe because there is a social pressure to want to drive, so the others with an orientation like me are just staying quiet? Or maybe it actually is a little rare (although our sample size thus far in the thread is meager).
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I love driving. Never tire of it. Traffic's never an issue. I don't experience road rage.
    Good music is a must... but even in total silence I've always got my random imagination keeping me entertained.
    I drove from NH to LA in about a day & a half this time last year. Stopped once along the way for sleep [not counting gas/bathroom stops]. My INTJ friend was along for the ride; played the role of navigator on our journey. I pretty much drove the entire way, and didn't get sick of it once, even when I got sleepy near the last leg of it, I was thoroughly enjoying myself.

Generally speaking, driving down the highway in the middle of the night, or right at dawn/dusk, have to be my favorite times to be in my car, & quite possibly the only moments I'm more consciously aware/appreciative of my external environment behind the wheel. (& no. I never get in accidents. :rolli
    Only time I'm not a huge fan of driving, is in the rain at night, if there's a lot of oncoming traffic. Glare. But even then, it's not completely intolerable.

As far as which functions might potentially facilitate driving.. well.. for my type, I'd initially presume Se & perhaps, combine that a little bit with the Ni. Over the years, the vehicle feels, for me at least, kind of like an extension of myself. Often, it feels as if I'm hardly aware of the moment-by-moment physical maneuvers or decisions I make while driving, almost like it's all involuntary, like blinking or breathing.
    ..If that makes sense.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

I don't like driving.
    Actually I guess it would be more clear to say I am indifferent.

I guess I just think too much about how 50% of the people that drive are idiots it seems.

If the streets are completely clear though? Then I am indifferent.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

I've never learned to drive a car.

I like motorcycles, though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by toonia
    So I am the only one so far who doesn't love driving? Maybe because there is a social pressure to want to drive, so the others with an orientation like me are just staying quiet? Or maybe it actually is a little rare (although our sample size thus far in the thread is meager).
    I don't like driving all the time. It's great fun if I'm in the right mood, but it can get quite tedious in heavy traffic. Also, I want to try to ween myself off of cars.....I want to move into a larger city with public transportation and better bicycling opportunities. We can't keep consuming energy with personal automobiles like we are (in the United States at least). So in an ideological sense I want to drive less. But as an actual activity I mostly enjoy it.
    9 wing 1

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Me! I dislike driving quite a bit, but still do it for a lot of reasons that I won't repeat at this juncture because I'm afraid of getting whooped by someone who wuvs dare gassy little sweetums.

To me, cars symbolize what it's like to live in great big 'ol America (particularly great big California, with nothing but road between San Francisco and LA) and the independent lifestyle that--paradoxically enough--sustains itself as part of the social climate.

Just slap the car on the endless list of human inventions that can make life easier but tend to be taken advantage of.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I love driving. I usually get lost in thought, while still driving safe. It's fun. It gives me a chance to gather my thoughts.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    I don't like driving.
    Actually I guess it would be more clear to say I am indifferent.

I guess I just think too much about how 50% of the people that drive are idiots it seems.

If the streets are completely clear though? Then I am indifferent.
    I wonder if that could be related to what I was describing about using Te more than Se when driving. If you think about the most efficient/reasonable system for the vehicles to function, and the process and roads seem designed for that system, but then the actual vehicles are quite random, it can be disconcerting. As a defensive driver, it takes energy to guage every possible scenario that can go wrong. I like being able to maneuver my vehicle well around tough spots, but it is more pleasant if I'm the one in control and not tons of unpredictable steel on every side of me going 75+mph. If all the other cars were operating on computer chips in one coherent system, I think I might love driving once I could know the ins and outs of that system.

Quote Originally Posted by candylandjoe View Post
    Me! I dislike driving quite a bit, but still do it for a lot of reasons that I won't repeat at this juncture because I'm afraid of getting whooped by someone who wuvs dare gassy little sweetums...
    Ha. Yeah, I have to drive quite a bit. I drive about 1 hour to and from work every day and often on weekends, so a minimum of 10 hours a week.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)