• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs: interesting job in a negative workplace or tedious job in a positive workplace?

Which would you prefer to work in for ~10 years, NFs?

• Interesting job, negative workplace

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Tedious job, positive workplace

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • Must...vote!

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Ten years? [i]Ten[/i] years? Ten [i]years[/i]??

Votes: 21 36.2%

• Total voters

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
All other factors being equal, which would you prefer? Assume the length of employment is considerable -- say 10 years.

Edit: dammit, forgot to make it public. Oh well.

Valhallahereicome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w7
Haha, I voted "Ten YEARS!?!?" Can't imagine myself doing any job for that long. But if I had to, it would be the interesting job in a negative workplace. Stagnation is worse than petty irritation for me. And what can I say - assuming that I'm not going to be fired during this time, I wouldn't mind a little conflict with the people around me. Depending on the type of conflict of course.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It'll be 10 years in December. :-D

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Voted "Ten Years?!" ... I think I am not meant to work for long periods of time. I even doubt if I am meant to work at all.

For a short time I would do the boring job with nice people.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
If I'm going to do any job 10 years it better be amazing.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I'd be better off in a tedious job with a positive environment at this point in my life (although it is an untested hypothesis). I actually did spend close to a decade as a graduate teaching assistant which was intellectually inspiring, but was a harsh, backbiting, competitive environment. Of course now that I think of that, it is a tough call. The intellectual aspect was inspiring to me and like food for my brain, but I had chronic headaches and muscle pain which periodically caused me to throw up from the intensity of it. I'm old enough now that I'm not sure my body can take that stress even if it is a more interesting/inspiring environment. My hope for the tedious job would be that I would have enough energy left at the end of the day to explore what interested me (or even do it a little on company time!).

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I were forced to choose, I'd pick the interesting job, with the negative workplace.
I'm assuming "negative workplace" is referring to the social dynamic of the managers/co-workers, etc.

I can handle spending 10yrs with unpleasant people everyday. Hell, figuring out what made each one tick in such a cruddy way would be interesting in of itself.
I'd prefer that to spending X-amt of hours daily for a decade, performing mind-numbing tasks, surrounded by a bunch of optimistic, encouraging, smiley-happy-people.
No contest.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Since I'm introverted, I'd pick the interesting job in a negative environment. I could self-generate motivation directly from the job itself, and shut out the negative environment somewhat. However, the positive atmosphere couldn't turn a bad job into a good job...

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Costrin sees poll.
Costrin sees poll is directed at NFs.
Costrin notices he is not NF.
Costrin decides he doesn't care and wishes to vote anyway.
Costrin votes.

sculpting

interesting job, but fix the broken workplace.

My job is really my hobby. Sometimes it sidetracks me from my real goal of observing people.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ten years, are you ppl crazy??? Unless its my dreamjob, that's is a commitment I'm unwilling to make.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think I'd rather take the interesting job, but 10 years seems like too much at this moment.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Voted tedious job, positive workplace.

My hope would be that I could do interesting things outside of work to keep myself from being bored. I know an interesting job would be ideal, but I also know the stress of being in a negative environment would wear me down and make the job less interesting and more of a chore. At least if I'm doing boring stuff, I can like the folks I work with enough to talk with them and keep myself entertained socially.

G

garbage

If I had to choose.. give me the most boring and tedious work imaginable, but also give me the flexibility I want and good people to work with, and I'll do your stupid dumb work.

Otherwise.. ten years!? :cry:

something boring

MBTI Type
nnja
Enneagram
4w5
I don't think I'd last too long in either. Longer, I suppose, in a tedious/positive job, but it definitely wouldn't hold my interest longer than maybe two years.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
Voted "Ten Years?!" ... I think I am not meant to work for long periods of time. I even doubt if I am meant to work at all.

ditto with this. lol :cheese:

but being currently in a sucky job with zero-passion in it, and also no matter how 'interesting' i could have flexibility in just browsing around in Internet here, i think i would rather be in an interesting job in a negative workplace, rather than the vice versa.
because like some people said here, i can pretty much stand it, or 'shutting myself' from the bad environment. but to shut myself off from very terrible boring job while keep pretending or faking smiles to nice people surrounding me? that would still be in conflict with my Values, and i don't think i can stand it for 1 year, heck , even for 4 months!

and TEN years in a sucky job?? .. well, now i'm already entering the 6th-year in this sucky job, and now I even already vowed that I really NEED to get out from this job THIS year, because i don't think i can stand another year, let alone another 4years here!

janey_girl

MBTI Type
INtJ
10 years - way too long! I get in sort the job out, learn it inside out, get bored and get out....

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
It's a tough choice. But ultimately...TEN years?!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
10 years!! at someplace that was either tedious or toxic? no thanks!