User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default INFP and BiPolar

I really thought I was just crazy until I started reading this forum. I went to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me as bipolar and put me on meds that made me feel awful - uncreative, unhappy, just plain miserable. I quit taking them and decided to just work around my so-called "issues".

Does anyone else have a similar experience with psychiatrists? It seems to me that all of the "symptoms" of bipolar that I exhibit are just traits of an INFP.

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Juggling69Tigers View Post
    It seems to me that all of the "symptoms" of bipolar that I exhibit are just traits of an INFP.
    Like for example?
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Yes, elaborate ...

and welcome to the forums!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I really thought I was just crazy until I started reading this forum. I went to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me as bipolar and put me on meds that made me feel awful - uncreative, unhappy, just plain miserable. I quit taking them and decided to just work around my so-called "issues".

Does anyone else have a similar experience with psychiatrists? It seems to me that all of the "symptoms" of bipolar that I exhibit are just traits of an INFP.
    Did you discuss this with your psychiatrist, and if so what did they suggest?
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    Did you discuss this with your psychiatrist, and if so what did they suggest?
    Take these instead! :: opens up jacket ::

get a second opinion on the bipolar diagnosis if you think their diagnosis was not thorough enough.
    and..have you had any episodes?
    the people I know who have bpd aren't infp's and it seems rather unlikely that infp behavior is symptomatic of bipolar behavior.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp

bipolar disorder is a serious mood disorder. it could probably affect any myers briggs type. the distinguishing factor in bipolar disorder is whether you have a very strong period of mania or depression, followed by a period of the opposite mood you just had. these periods last for 2 weeks and up.

of course "normal" people can be affected by their emotions, and can go from being very happy to very sad, tired to energetic, and etc. what is important here is the lengths of the periods between moods and the potency (for lack of a better word) of how much these separate moods affect you

MBTI
    INFP

My psychiatrist just wants to keep me on drugs. The drugs make it worse. Plus I'm not convinced that I really am bipolar. I quit going to him months ago and have focused on improving my mood through exercise and willpower. It tends to work for stretches of a few months, then I have a meltdown.

Some of the "symptoms" are random episodes of mania. I get super excited about a project, immerse myself in it so fully that I ignore everything else in my life, then I lose interest before I finish. I also have random times where I am just super freaking perky and do silly things like sing made up songs while I'm mopping.

Occasions where I escape into my own head so deeply that I become depressed about things like my inability to accomplish something dramatic like world peace or something more personal like why people don't like me (even though I don't know this to be true). During these times I can simultaneously love and hate the same person.

Losing sleep and getting depressed over conversations that I f*ed up.

I had one doctor diagnose me with ADD when I told him that I had a really hard time focusing on finishing projects that I am not interested in and that I can't decide on what I want to do with my life (I enjoy a wide variety of things)

MBTI
    STP

Some of the "symptoms" are random episodes of mania. I get super excited about a project, immerse myself in it so fully that I ignore everything else in my life, then I lose interest before I finish. I also have random times where I am just super freaking perky and do silly things like sing made up songs while I'm mopping.
    I think its just Fi and normal. I exhibit the same things, but driven by Ti. I may feel useless and question if I actually know anything and other times I can jump in and just go crazy figuring out a problem forgetting everything else in the world. I will get excited when I figure it out and want to tell the world only to realize the world doesnt care. Dominant Fi/Ti can suck sometimes.

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

My psychiatrist just wants to keep me on drugs. The drugs make it worse. Plus I'm not convinced that I really am bipolar. I quit going to him months ago and have focused on improving my mood through exercise and willpower. It tends to work for stretches of a few months, then I have a meltdown.

Occasions where I escape into my own head so deeply that I become depressed about things like my inability to accomplish something dramatic like world peace or something more personal like why people don't like me (even though I don't know this to be true). During these times I can simultaneously love and hate the same person.

Losing sleep and getting depressed over conversations that I f*ed up.

I had one doctor diagnose me with ADD when I told him that I had a really hard time focusing on finishing projects that I am not interested in and that I can't decide on what I want to do with my life (I enjoy a wide variety of things)
    Yeah, sounds just like me. Some psychiatrists really do believe that anything outside of the norm is caused by chemical imbalances. Perhaps seeing a psychologist may be more beneficial for you.