• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] nf songwriters/musicians

Verania

MBTI Type
INFP
Janis Joplin-ENFP. And I think Jim Morrison is an INFP

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I think Jesper Stromblad and/or Bjorn Gelotte (The songwriters of In Flames) are NFs, likely INFPs. Their entire latest album seems too deep to be SP. They COULD be NTPs, though.

European music has a lot of NF in the music. SPs seem to push the limits of instrument playing while Ns try to write great compositions.

One thing I find is that INFPs could be typed as the 'Lyricist' of the band while ISFPs could be typed as the instrumentalists of the band. They know what sounds right/good for the situation and like to 'do'

Its all theory, not all IFPs are interested in music.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Janis Joplin-ENFP. And I think Jim Morrison is an INFP

I'd argue with that, I think. I read a book on him and it never stopped to announce how much partying he did..he was always out on some adventure, and it seems that INFPs are a little more contained and reserved than he was.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always wanted to type him ISFP, because something tells me he has some strong Se in those fingers.

He is
it's the tertiary Ni that is throwing you off

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
He is
it's the tertiary Ni that is throwing you off

I listened to a biography of Hendrix- Room Full of Mirrors which went in depth through his whole life and really analyzed his character- didn't just state facts- and ISFP is very obvious. One can ooze soul and still be an S, remember!

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I listened to a biography of Hendrix- Room Full of Mirrors which went in depth through his whole life and really analyzed his character- didn't just state facts- and ISFP is very obvious. One can ooze soul and still be an S, remember!

Of course
They talk to nature and animals
we talk to wizards and angels

together - we're awesome
SPs and NFs that is :D

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Great music Thursday! Lots of talent. :) Great voice also.

Most of that is quite true, it's a myth that only crap gets on the radio and poor little geniuses are suffering on myspace though. If it is brilliant or radio catchy, it will make it. If it is just a nice listen, it might make it. If you released any classic as an unknown these days, you would still be signed, and it would still end up number one. Obviously, writing music is something you do for the love, whereas getting a contract brings business into it. But I still think there is art in making something perfect and simple enough to be loved en masse. I'd still take "stand by me" or "yesterday" over any complex melody or blurring of a million instruments, ever to enter myspace.

No, there's good music that gets on the radio, too...not arguing with that. But the definition of "classic" is kind of subjective. There's lots of brilliant jazz fusion that will never get any kind of mainstream attention because there simply isn't a big enough demographic for that music to be widely mass marketable.

I totally agree about pop music. I'm in a pop rock band, even--I love the simplicity and I didn't mean to imply that all simple music is bad. Just that being "good" doesn't necessitate any kind of financial reward or mainstream attention.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
on the same token - i think a lot of artsy fartsy music and jazz is psuedo-intellectual bullcrap

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds reasonable - I wasn't sure about P/J so let's call Corgan a J. He seems more E than I so that would give us ENFJ? For a further glimpse, check out this clip I posted in the INFP music thread: [youtube="S88PcGqfYo4&NR=1"]Snyder Interview with Corgan[/youtube] Sorry for the audio - it's delayed a bit. He seems very communicative emotionally, you can see it in his eyes, his expression, and his smile.

Where he talks about "our natures were kind of diametrically opposed" and how he "sensed" D'Arcy's nature when they met, this seems very NF.

"I'm right, she hasn't realized she's wrong." Though he's joking, this seems J. ;)

Also, listen to the section starting at 6:20 - he talks about the Beatles and idealism and a "new consciousness." He also talks about idealism and how you can't necessarily exist in that idealism in our culture. Seems kind of almost 4w3-ish? He seems focused on identity, the past, and beauty. I don't know, just putting that out there...

On another note, Beth Gibbons: what is her type?

P.s. - nice tune Thursday.

You're right; this interview sounds very NFJ. I'm going to go with ENFJ for Corgan.

which is why i have a dba
check please:cool:

What's a dba?

Also, for the OP:

I'd say ESFP for Jim Morrison, and ENFP for Anthony Kiedis. INFJ is a much better description for RHCP guitarist John Frusciante; I would call Kiedis and Flea both big ol' ENFPs. (Drummer Chad Smith is likely ISFP.)

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm absolutely confident that Leonard Cohen is an INFP.

And while I'd love to claim Tom Waits as an INFP, from his interviews I consider it far more likely that he's the world's most awesome ISFP.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
May I add:

ENFP
Freddie Mercury

There is NO way that Freddie was an extravert. He seemed like that on stage, sure, but if you watch any of his interviews he's an obvious introvert. I don't think he's an NF, either.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
There is NO way that Freddie was an extravert. He seemed like that on stage, sure, but if you watch any of his interviews he's an obvious introvert. I don't think he's an NF, either.

Source the interviews, please.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

He talks damn quick and gets excited about having his say. Also knows what the interviewer is on about before he finishes the questions. Late interviews he might've had a lot on his mind and a lot of pressure, and that can make anyone an introvert. An ENFP even more so; we're pretty private and don't naturally like living our issues out on the public stage.

YouTube - Freddie Mercury Interview Musical Prostitute part 1

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He talks damn quick and gets excited about having his say. Also knows what the interviewer is on about before he finishes the questions. Late interviews he might've had a lot on his mind and a lot of pressure, and that can make anyone an introvert. An ENFP even more so; we're pretty private and don't naturally like living our issues out on the public stage.

YouTube - Freddie Mercury Interview Musical Prostitute part 1

i agree...i'd look like an introvert during an interview too.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm absolutely confident that Leonard Cohen is an INFP.

And while I'd love to claim Tom Waits as an INFP, from his interviews I consider it far more likely that he's the world's most awesome ISFP.
Cohen we can argue about. I'm not settled on him because I realize that I might have been a little hasty by lumping him with Paul Simon one night (after figuring his type is INFJ).

It's pretty clear to me that Tom is an INTJ. Abstract artistic expression, quick, sharp responses, and the goatee are all characteristics that point in that direction.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's pretty clear to me that Tom is an INTJ. Abstract artistic expression, quick, sharp responses, and the goatee are all characteristics that point in that direction.

:huh:

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP

Abstract expression? Where do you find that (or any non-sensorish amount of it, at least) in his songs? Honest question.

I'll ignore the "quick, sharp responses" as anti-sensorism ;) and the goatee as a joke. The main interview I'm thinking of was unfortunately in a reputable Australian broadsheet magazine which I can find no links to (the magazine article, not the broadsheet). In it he mentioned that he "sees" music. It takes an almost visual form, which helps him identify what's appropriate and what isn't. I think he said that he'd wondered if he had some form of autism because of that. I wish I could quote directly/exactly, but I read the magazine about 2 years ago and have subsequently lost it in one of my many moves. When I read it, though, I thought "Sensor" right away. Then I thought "Fucking MBTI is taking over my life, this is a problem".

Consider also his penchant for quirky bit-characters in movies. That in itself doesn't prove anything, but I consider it a more likely hobby of an ISFP than an INTJ. He even played a wacky inventor in Mystery Men. A character entirely lacking in gravitas, and certainly a backward step compared to some of his other roles. And his love-affair with boots? Doesn't seem like an INTJ passion to me.