• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] nf songwriters/musicians

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So if he's enfp, do you know many ixfjs who listen? I think he demonstrates perceiver tendencies because the way he describes making his music is more of a shaping/molding of sound process rather than entering with any preconceived ideas ("I like to play along with things and let them grow" @ 8 min.). Link some more interviews. Show me the extroversion.

I could see ENFP over INFP...he still strikes me as extroverted.
Outspoken introverts are often outspoken more in their words than demeanor.

LCD Soundsytem's James Murphy hails 'Greenberg' OST - video | News | NME.COM

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
james murphy definitely seems enfp 7w8 so/sx. time for me to dig up the new lcd soundsystem--he seems like a cool dude.

Very uncomfortable dynamic there! haha.

The 'glare' was pretty funny.

world, meet 5w4s.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
Shaun Morgan (Vocalist/Songwriter, band Seether) - INFP

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
bill evans - infp
john coltrane - infj

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So through meeting people over several of these typology meetup groups, I strongly think Merritt is intj (of the rather subdued variety) rather than intp/infj. Ask me why.

Harrison is still an intp to me. Maybe one of the mythical 4w5s?

5w4 is the part that feels certain to me. he's not looking for himself, he's looking for answers. he has more of that 5w4 cosmic shangrila bullshit than self-styled subject (subjectivity) connoisseur. the whole gardening serenity of the earth in the moment relief seems more 5w4 infj.

merritt can't be fi. and i don't see his project making any sense without ti. he gets off on compositional challenges that involve exploring all the theoretical possibilities, not getting from point a to point b a la te.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't see that as a concession if you were already with state in thinking enfp.

I've thought about, internalized the possibility of Mark Smith being istp rather than intj over the summer: his "dripping"/lazy aura with the scatteredness, forever rotating cast (surface-wise, suggestive of Pe tendences). There is a certain playfulness he exudes, a darkly tinted hint of naive joy. But! Have you listened to them? After these first few sentences, I don't think in my wildest dreams that anyone but a dom-intuitive could come up with the combinations, concoctions he has with great consistency over the years (which in itself suggests great ease in expression of his inner hologram Pi-ness). I can think of a few istp musicians of the top of my head, none of whom are as comfortable disassociating from the self through their work as Smith is, who warps existing/standard ideas into lurching hologramed nightmares, howling with insane laughter all the way to immortality (or maybe just into the next millenium).

(I'm still open to istp. Maybe once we verify additional artists and identify who was/has been influenced by whom we'll have a better picture, because, as so many posters here will testify, mbti isn't terribly accurate when simply matching preference for preference.)

Once I'm at a computer on which I can hear sound, I'll get back to you on Merritt. Still feel like I have a good case.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
He talks damn quick and gets excited about having his say. Also knows what the interviewer is on about before he finishes the questions. Late interviews he might've had a lot on his mind and a lot of pressure, and that can make anyone an introvert. An ENFP even more so; we're pretty private and don't naturally like living our issues out on the public stage.

YouTube - Freddie Mercury Interview Musical Prostitute part 1

Yeah, I think I could buy ENFP (or ESFP), even though he seemed kind of introverted in that interview.
His TEETH were extraverted as hell, though -- that's for sure! :D

But for anyone who doubts his extraversion I think THIS interview shows his extraverted nature even more:

YouTube - Freddie Mercury The Last Interview

KDude

Olivia Lufkin -I'll assume INFP (probably not well known outside Japan. She comes close to my internal monologue sometimes though..even if she sings about ballerinas and unicorns ^^). I don't know, I'm just as confused about her as I am myself.

This whole thread has me thinking what the difference is between SPs/NFs (especially Ni and Ne). For the most part, I'd think Fi types write from mostly from Fi (in their idealism or romanticism, what have you.. just like many INFP authors and poets). Not Ne randomness per se (like Cobain, Beck, Lennon). Robert Smith, Jeff Buckley, Kate Bush seem INFP and well understood for that (not random). Which also makes me wonder if ISFPs are similar. Just not sure how. :thinking: I don't want to say they write in more "pedestrian" or concrete terms. Why is it that I want to give ISFP themes more credit? Sigh.. Maybe I should give up on that. It would seem to me that NFs actually are pretty dominant in music. There's way too many idealists, dreamy romanticists, explorers in good/evil, interpretative of experience (rather than celebratory), and abstract artists.

Apparently ISFPs don't go there. They're almost unattentive on big issues and smug about enjoying themselves. I can see plenty of SP musicians in that respect, but I can't see why people would say "hallmark" ISFPs like Dylan is SP then. And I can use more anecdotes.. Like why would Gavin Rossdale be an SP? Or Chris Cornell? Both write as symbolically as N types. If Shannon Hoon is an NF, then they are too. Rossdale probably delivered the most un-SP line ever: "Everything Zen? I don't think so." Or Cornell, resenting the fact that he tried to let loose once (I love this song):

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with
All the other pigs

I woke the same as any other day
You know, I should have stayed in bed