• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] nf songwriters/musicians

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
From Pink Floyd:
Syd Barrett- xNFP
Roger Waters- INXX (I think either INFJ or INTP, either of those seem to suit him.)

John Lennon I like to think as being ENFJ. He's not totally heartless, I sense a feeling somewhere in his type. He's definantly an open book and doesn't really seem to have any problem in expressing his emotions to others.

George Harrison, I like to think is INFx or something of the like.

Steven Tyler from Aerosmith: ESFx

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From Pink Floyd:
Syd Barrett- xNFP
Roger Waters- INXX (I think either INFJ or INTP, either of those seem to suit him.)

John Lennon I like to think as being ENFJ. He's not totally heartless, I sense a feeling somewhere in his type. He's definantly an open book and doesn't really seem to have any problem in expressing his emotions to others.

Lennon's song "Imagine" comes from the FeNi perspective, at least to my ears.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
From Pink Floyd:
Syd Barrett- xNFP

Barrett was infp
Waters is intp
Lennon was entp
Harrison was an intp. A pisces intp, which explains why people assume he's an f.
Tyler is enfp.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

sufjan is an infj. i don't really like him--feels flat to me. i think it would take an infp to inject it with something more real.

Barrett was infp
Waters is intp
Lennon was entp
Harrison was an intp. A pisces intp, which explains why people assume he's an f.
Tyler is enfp.

i think waters is entj. and george harrison might be a 9w1 intp, but i think 9w1 infj seems more likely. doesn't seem focused on causality. here comes the sun doesn't seem intp--it seems infj. intps want to fix the world not heal it.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Barrett was infp
Waters is intp
Lennon was entp
Tyler is enfp.

Thanks for clearing all that up for me. :) I'm not an expert in typing other people, especially when I don't know them personally. :blush:

I always suspected Syd was INFP, but before his breakdown, he was always described as an extrovert and extremely charismatic, but a lot of INFP's do at times, so I'll just shut up now.

And I always thought Rog was INTP as well, but I started questioning it when I felt he had an F, somewhere in there. I mean, he does seem rather emotional for an INTP as wel as a male virgo INTP. Maybe more so now, than he did when he was in Pink Floyd. But, like I said, if I haven't met them personally, I'm not very good at typing them.

Sorry, I know I came into this thread late so a lot of these guys have probably been discussed before. Pardon my ignorance. :doh:

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
i think waters is entj. and george harrison might be a 9w1 intp, but i think 9w1 infj seems more likely. doesn't seem focused on causality. here comes the sun doesn't seem intp--it seems infj. intps want to fix the world not heal it.

That's why I thought he was an f. His music seems more thoughtful and sensitive, like "Within You Without You" and "It's All Too Much". But, those are sort of more "wanting to fix the world" ratehr than "trying to heal it." So, maybe...George is un-typable. :shock:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Although indecisiveness doesn't evade infjs, george here in this video (YouTube - George Harrison Interview(1/6) @ 1:48) mentions how he spent months sifting through his head for a title to the record he's being interviewed for. Compare that with the mars volta dudes (presumably infj - at least the guitarist), who are like some magician pulling an endless scarf from his pocket, never thinking twice about coming up for air.

george's Fe doesn't seem dynamic enough to be a secondary function. He (YouTube - George Harrison Talks About Paul McCartney @ 0:52) is asked if he's saddened that mccartney didn't attend some gathering of some sort. "It's a pity because he would've had a good time. But it didn't spoil our night." Whereas someone like steve merritt seems to utilize his Fe more than slipping one's foot into an old boot. Pt.1 of the Latest Show on Earth interview on youtube (can't find it at this time), at the very beginning, explaining why he doesn't play stadiums, he remarks how his left ear (and to the interviewer, "your right") has taken on damage, feeling out the other's form. I haven't noticed harrison use his Fe in such a way.

Then again, a lot of your infj typings on that document you sent seem to be on the mark.

What makes you think waters is entj?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thanks for clearing all that up for me. :) I'm not an expert in typing other people, especially when I don't know them personally. :blush:

I always suspected Syd was INFP, but before his breakdown, he seemed rather extroverted and outgoing, but a lot of INFP's do at times, so I'll just shut up now.

And I always thought Rog was INTP as well, but I started questioning it when I felt he had an F, somewhere in there. Maybe more so now, than he did when he was in Pink Floyd. But, like I said, if I haven't met them personally, I'm not very good at typing them.

You seem to be good at typing musicians and you seem to know who most of them are. Tell me, what type do you think Dave Gilmour and Rick Wright from Floyd are? What about Ringo Starr? Bret Michaels? Joe Perry from Aerosmith? I've always been curious about their types.

Sorry, I know I came into this thread late so a lot of these guys have probably been discussed before. Pardon my ignorance. :doh:

Don't worry about it. I'm not claiming that those are their types outright. They're just my current understandings/tances, so feel free to call me out on any of them and force me to explain myself. Have you tried doing a search of this thread?

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Erykah Badu is ENFP. I also think Lauryn Hill is either INFP or INTJ 4w5. I'm certain about the Fi, and I know she's introverted because she's a notorious recluse.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Don't worry about it. I'm not claiming that those are their types outright. They're just my current understandings/tances, so feel free to call me out on any of them and force me to explain myself. Have you tried doing a search of this thread?

A little bit. But, I have a short attention span and a slow computer, so it didn't work out quite as I had hoped. :doh:

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh never mind. Lauryn Hill is definitely INTJ. This 2005 interview of hers (particularly @1:49) kind of says it all. Not only is she so against what is superficial and what is inauthentic (Fi/e4) but she also exhibits a great bit of Ni in that interview as she talks about spirituality, the workings of God (as she sees it), and her own musical mysticism.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh never mind. Lauryn Hill is definitely INTJ. This 2005 interview of hers (particularly @1:49) kind of says it all. Not only is she so against what is superficial and what is inauthentic (Fi/e4) but she also exhibits a great bit of Ni in that interview as she talks about spirituality, the workings of God (as she sees it), and her own musical mysticism.

i'm seeing enfp. she's tough. she seems super disciplined and somewhat outwardly constructed nowadays, but when she was younger she seems very Fi. what's her enneagram? 7w6 sx/so? i can't imagine her as an e5 or e1 like most intjs.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has James Murphy (LCD Soundsystem) been typed?
I'm thinking ExFJ. Definitely seems extroverted & I see loads of Fe. ExTP is possible though....? He seems so concerned with being productive & prepared, even though he admits he has not been.

YouTube - LCD Soundsystem interview

---------

I decided Paul Banks of Interpol is definitely INFP, not INTP, and Carlos D is ENFJ, not ENTx. So silly to think they are Ts :D.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm thinking ExFJ. Definitely seems extroverted & I see loads of Fe. ExTP is possible though....? He seems so concerned with being productive & prepared, even though he admits he has not been.

I quit listening to the interview a little after 1:52, at which point he remarks that he never makes a plan." infp, iei ethical subtype. What was that song, Someone great? Seems like he wrote that from an Si-sourced perspective.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I quit listening to the interview a little after 1:52, at which point he remarks that he never makes a plan." infp, iei ethical subtype. What was that song, Someone great? Seems like he wrote that from an Si-sourced perspective.

He seems VERY extroverted to me - I could see ENFP over INFP. I somehow see his focus on talking about plans to be telling though - he says one thing, but seems so focused on the idea of planning...

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
He seems VERY extroverted to me - I could see ENFP over INFP. I somehow see his focus on talking about plans to be telling though - he says one thing, but seems so focused on the idea of planning...

So if he's enfp, do you know many ixfjs who listen? I think he demonstrates perceiver tendencies because the way he describes making his music is more of a shaping/molding of sound process rather than entering with any preconceived ideas ("I like to play along with things and let them grow" @ 8 min.). Link some more interviews. Show me the extroversion.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So if he's enfp, do you know many ixfjs who listen? I think he demonstrates perceiver tendencies because the way he describes making his music is more of a shaping/molding of sound process rather than entering with any preconceived ideas ("I like to play along with things and let them grow" @ 8 min.). Link some more interviews. Show me the extroversion.

Whenever it's hard for me to tell if someone is an extrovert or an outspoken introvert, the first place I look for clues is who the company/crowd they surround themselves with and just work from there. I'm aware that this is probably an approach you're more than aware with, but am bringing it up because the guy in question seems to surround himself with more of the quiet type, which leads me to believe further still that he is infp.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Although indecisiveness doesn't evade infjs, george here in this video (YouTube - George Harrison Interview(1/6) @ 1:48) mentions how he spent months sifting through his head for a title to the record he's being interviewed for. Compare that with the mars volta dudes (presumably infj - at least the guitarist), who are like some magician pulling an endless scarf from his pocket, never thinking twice about coming up for air.

george's Fe doesn't seem dynamic enough to be a secondary function. He (YouTube - George Harrison Talks About Paul McCartney @ 0:52) is asked if he's saddened that mccartney didn't attend some gathering of some sort. "It's a pity because he would've had a good time. But it didn't spoil our night." Whereas someone like steve merritt seems to utilize his Fe more than slipping one's foot into an old boot. Pt.1 of the Latest Show on Earth interview on youtube (can't find it at this time), at the very beginning, explaining why he doesn't play stadiums, he remarks how his left ear (and to the interviewer, "your right") has taken on damage, feeling out the other's form. I haven't noticed harrison use his Fe in such a way.

What makes you think waters is entj?

YouTube - George Harrison interview about Eric Clapton (funny)
i see infj. waters feels more entj to me than intp but i could be wrong.

i see enfp. i find him extremely likable. i'm leaning 7w8 maybe so/sx.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
i'm seeing enfp. she's tough. she seems super disciplined and somewhat outwardly constructed nowadays, but when she was younger she seems very Fi. what's her enneagram? 7w6 sx/so? i can't imagine her as an e5 or e1 like most intjs.

Maybe you are both right. Could be her shadow self. She has been from the spot light for a while. :newwink: