Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    It would seem to me that NFs actually are pretty dominant in music. There's way too many idealists, dreamy romanticists, explorers in good/evil, interpretative of experience (rather than celebratory), and abstract artists.
    Nah, NFs are dominant in music that NFs enjoy & discuss in an NF forum on an MBTI messageboard . Most of the music we're discussing falls into a specific niche.... a lot of this music is not exactly top 40, and notice how we all seem to know/like the same stuff? I can tell you right now, I know a lot of people who don't know or like a lot of the bands discussed in here....

Apparently ISFPs don't go there. They're almost unattentive on big issues and smug about enjoying themselves. I can see plenty of SP musicians in that respect, but I can't see why people would say "hallmark" ISFPs like Dylan is SP then. And I can use more anecdotes.. Like why would Gavin Rossdale be an SP? Or Chris Cornell? Both write as symbolically as N types. If Shannon Hoon is an NF, then they are too. Rossdale probably delivered the most un-SP line ever: "Everything Zen? I don't think so." Or Cornell, resenting the fact that he tried to let loose once (I love this song):

The day I tried to live
    I wallowed in the blood and mud with
    All the other pigs

I woke the same as any other day
    You know, I should have stayed in bed
    It's hard to articulate - after all, we're mostly intuitives posting in this thread, and it's a vibe you get sometimes, with little direct evidence to point to. It's important to note that ISFPs are coming from Fi first and foremost - Fi in itself is pretty abstract and hard to put into literal terms. There's a way ISFPs use metaphor and symbolism that still dips into sensory experience in a way INFPs usually do not. Again, it's hard to pinpoint & explain with words.

In many cases, it's easier to type the person by their interviews and general knowledge of how they are as a person moreso than a lyricist. And then of course, it's still only a good guess at best.

Gavin Rossdale's lyrics are very evocative of the senses, IMO. The song "Body" on Bush's first album demonstrates that very well.

I think Shannon Hoon is an SP also....I don't know what he is typed as in this thread. I'd go with ISFP though.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive
    Likes Blackout liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I think Shannon Hoon is an SP also....I don't know what he is typed as in this thread. I'd go with ISFP though.
    Some here were guessing Hoon was INFP. Seems like it could be accurate.. his Fi is not limited in all of the stereotypical SP ways. He muses on things that aren't necessarily personal or cryptic at all (I kind of agree about not wanting to analyze lyrics too much though.. but they still make me think nonetheless).

Blind Melon/Toes Across the Floor
    Doesn't anybody feel
    That all these killers should be killed
    And all these healers should be healed
    So all these beggers can be filled

And Now tell me why am I to lie
    If I'm holding firm and feel the right

Killers, healers, beggers. All metaphor for bigger issues (I'm assuming "healers" are people whose job it is to help, like clergy and politicians). No different than Cornell's stuff too when he condemns "how things are", and how he wants them to be.

Olivia Lufkin writes in similar styles.. although she's less earthy than Hoon. The idealism comes out and shoots into the stratosphere (she also plays with fantasy like themes often too.. she's like a Jrock Kate Bush, but more pissed off ).

I want to be up high up with the sun
    Disappear completely into love
    I want to be up high up where I can
    See the secret roads - < --- SPs wouldn't say that, right?

Sometimes though, she's pissed off about personal encroachments or typical ideas on "goodness".. she'll sound very protective of herself, very Fi (she's not a native English speaker though.. you'll have to forgive her if it doesn't come out eloquently).

I'm riding on a blind unicorn
    I'm riding on a blind unicorn
    I'm going to throw up now

I have my own ways that I stride
    and I'm not going to stride along the lines
    of your fucking guidance
    Let me follow my own natural instinct
    Unlinked from your universe
    And your curse
    Immerse my diverse ways of my mind
    You make things worse
    When you babble on about staying positive
    and being good
    and keeping sane
    and sleeping right
    and removing my dirty nail polish
    You don't think I fucking know that?

If you listen to the rest of that song, it's not concrete. And as for the title, yeah.. I equate my personal quest to riding a vomit inducing blind unicorn into the sun to find secret roads too. I get it

As for interviews, she comes across very IFP at least (most is Japanese though, so I don't know who else can analyze her). Not sure about Hoon in interviews.

Oh, Elliott Smith is another one I'm confused about. How does that guy ever get typed ISFP?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

I don't think my favorite artist are NF at all. Culture is mostly the blame, but I have a hard time thinking Miles Davis or Devin the Dude are NFs. Maybe I'm wrong about the latter, but I doubt it. I don't most the people on the list either....beside the ENFPs. They all fall somewhere on my favorite list, from Bob Marley, Jim Morrison to Lupe & Bob Marley. Beyond that, I don't know if these guys aren't top listers.

So what is the NF niche? Where do these guys, beside the obvious alternative Lupe and Mos Defs of the world, fall. I don't know what else to say because I'm watching Quantum of Solace and a girl drenched in black, semi-sexy just came on the screen before 007 just handled a whole crew of lames in an elevator. Can't focus...
    Oh, its
    You

I think a lot of hip hop (hedonistic and chill alike) fall into the SP category. Many ESTPs and ESFPs it seems. With a dabble of ISFPs, like Andre 3000. Mos Def could be ISFP too, not sure.

Some seem so damn executively badass and high on their thrones that I want to get stereotypical and type them ENTJ Like Rakim..

The NF niche, in Keirseyan terms, is an idealistic.. expansive.. F oriented temperment. Maybe Lauryn Hill would be an NF.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Mos Def is mos def a ENFP. Andre however is definitely a ISFP. The 7 in me makes me gravitate to hip-hop, 60s rock, funk and hippie like.
    Oh, its
    You

As for Miles, after reading more about tertiary Fi, it almost seems like his Fi fits the bill there. An INTJ maybe.

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    PJ Harvey ?
    I've heard ISTP more than anything
    But it was changed to ENTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    yeah - and dylan as an intuitive is like Wildcat as a Sensor.
    One is no better than the other, but it is the language
    Sensible thing to say that it's the language. Makes some things clear to me.
    INtj | 9w1

MBTI
    INFX
    Socionics
    IEI

I think Dave Matthews is an INTP. Freddie Mercury is some kind of introvert, he just had his stage persona for the sake of itself but was actually pretty shy.

MBTI
    INFX
    Socionics
    IEI

Oh, and a good example of an ENFJ would be Chester Bennington from Linkin Park.

Senior Member Array

Fran Healy, the lead singer of Travis, is probably INF(P?). I see more Fe in their lyrics. Would you say their band is more of a type Nine or Four?

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast