User Tag List

First 132122232425 Last

brainheart

Tim Kasher and Conor Oberst. Hmm, I know these kids a bit, so I think I can speculate somewhat...

Tim was a pretty extroverted kid in high school, kind of a 'cool' kid. He strikes me as an ENFP from the interactions I've had with him- nice, fun, but likes to think about things a bit. Kind of a dry/goofy N sort of sense of humor. But I wouldn't be surprised if he were an ESFP... he's a major performer, almost a stand-up comic. But he also has major hang ups about his Catholic upbringing, like he just can't let go of it. It's like it's constantly going through his head and he can't figure it out... wow, I don't know. Would that lean towards N?

Conor... he strikes me as more of an INFJ than a P. He has too much Fe. You are in his presence and he just puts out this love vibe- he is always trying to make connections with people,and he'll write lyrics like this: "...While the Mexican children kick rocks into the street and they laugh in a language that I don't understand. But I love them. Why do I love them?"

Also, I can't help but feel the Ni- every insight seems to come from within, not to mention Cassadaga was a giant mystic/psychic journey, Also, he's always been very prolific and determined, as if he is on a strict internal schedule and he is driven by this need to make sense of his thoughts/feelings. He seemed more like an INFJ kid than an INFP kid when I'd see him around as a preteen, as well, just something about his demeanor... But I may also be biased because I feel a serious INFJ connection with him. Not like I don't love INFPs as well, but I can just fully relate to him, like ridiculous amounts.

PS- his lyrics are often written about other fictional characters or people he's met, he just writes them from the first person perspective. People just assume he's talking about himself when he is actually soaking up other people's personalities and speaking from their point of view.

EDIT: please ignore, I was mistyping myself, anyway. I'm an INFP, I've discovered, hence the connection. Ignore, also, because I have been feeling guilty about this post, like I've betrayed these two people's privacy, and like I have a clue as to how they really are.... just because I know them on a superficial level.... blah for me. If I could erase it all I would...
    Last edited by brainheart; 08-18-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i updated this thread in pop culture, and i too had switched oberst to infj. seems much more like a precocious inj child than an ifp. much more Fe and the, at times, resulting Fe implosion. i think his writing style is much more a product of Ni, a song like method acting is an idea, a sense of how things are connected, and as he keeps that idea in mind he winds thru multiple verses of differently angled feelings. and yes, "a song to pass the time" is a great song. seems very Fe aware to me. and when you approach him, he is very soft and receptive in the Fe way, paying very much attention to you and what you are saying, offering little in return but a general feeling of Fe friendliness/receptivity.

kasher as efp seems right on too. i dislike his music, and his lyrics have a cheeky quality that make me think he could be an enfp, but i have an unlabeled desire to put him in the esfp category. i really hate cursive. jenny lewis seems very enfp to me 7w8. she, on the other hand, i think, has written many great songs. take offs and landings and the execution of all things were really good records.

what do you think about the guys from the faint?

ps i think we all accept that this is just speculation. one of the problems with being a musical person, celebrity, or artist (who is not a folk artist) is that you act out your life on-stage to some degree. those people as they are exist, in part, to help others understand themselves, their own feelings, and how they relate to others and the world at large. connor feels very infj to me and i like that. i feel like i understand how i write better through the process of relating to what he has already done. and how he has been influenced by daniel johnston or other infj writers (altho also david dondero and simon joyner, who feels like a very obvious infp to me). i would just be a bit more careful in the future in adopting an "oh listen to me, i know these guys personally" tone bc that rhetorical technique is unnecessary. just write in a positive way and without trying to convince others, and let your thoughts be free (with that said, i too, lately, have been considering the ethics of typing others. in the end, it feels like a technology, and using it in a productive rather than a dangerous way is a question that only life can answer).

also, in response to a statement earlier in the thread: i had actually switched kevin barnes from infj to enfj. it seems to fit better, in my head. much more of a character in the jonathan richman, calvin johnson, jason scwartzman domain. plus the flamboyance! girl from nyc #64 and all of the bedside drama a petite tragedy will remain in my favorites for years and years and years. also, the past is a grotesque animal.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Ok, so here's an off-the-wall question directly related to this thread. We often say that INFP's "put on their ESTJ suit" when they operate in the working world, especially a business setting. So, my question is: do you think musicians generally create music that is true to their type, or does the music they create end up being music that actually personifies another type? Can you create a certain kind of art without "becoming" that art? For example, if you only write rock ballads, regardless of what type you are, do you "put on the suit" of whatever type normally writes rock ballads, therefore obfuscating the typing process?
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    Ok, so here's an off-the-wall question directly related to this thread. We often say that INFP's "put on their ESTJ suit" when they operate in the working world, especially a business setting. So, my question is: do you think musicians generally create music that is true to their type, or does the music they create end up being music that actually personifies another type? Can you create a certain kind of art without "becoming" that art? For example, if you only write rock ballads, regardless of what type you are, do you "put on the suit" of whatever type normally writes rock ballads, therefore obfuscating the typing process?
    This is why god created youtube interviews.

thinking of you

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY

Graham Coxon a possible INFP?
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    Graham Coxon a possible INFP?
    Likely. Short answers to questions and softspoken.

I'm not so convinced about Damon Albarn. So many of his lyrics are observation/Fe-based like infj Ray Davies' who, likewise, focused primarily on social issues.

thinking of you

MBTI
    ENFP

Wayne Cohen: ENFP
    Deerhunter: ENTP
    Jay Reatard: INFP
    John Damielle: ENFP
    Beck: INTP (originally thought INFP)
    Elvis Costello: ENFJ
    James Mercer: INFP

Any Dinosaur Jr. fans? Any idea what J Mascis type is?
    Om–ba–ara–minaya–sabaha
    4w5 sx/so/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by soleil View Post
    Wayne Cohen: ENTP, the guy is too nuts not to be.
    Deerhunter: the Bradford guy himself makes me think of Todd Rundgren, an INFJ.
    Jay Reatard: INFP - I don't listen to him, so I haven't any idea
    John Damielle: ENFP - who is this?
    Beck: INTP (originally thought INFP) - I agree!
    Elvis Costello: INTJ, socionics ethical subtype
    James Mercer: INFP - the Shins guy? Likely.

Any Dinosaur Jr. fans? Any idea what J Mascis type is?
    I think the man's an infp. The band itself has always been interested in turning messy fuzzthoughts into a more structured enclosure, whereas other bands who spilled noise in the pop bucket like Sonic Youth remained avant in their general approach.

thinking of you

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

wayne coyne not an infp? and i'm not sure about elvis costello, from intp to enfj? i watched some youtube videos and i could see enfj, he's kinda a ham and i think Ni makes more sense than Ne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I meant intuitive subtype for Costello, yeah. The guy's made a living from being word engineer. Ni all the way, btw; have you noticed how both enfj and intjs release a good, good chunk of supersappy rhymes? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalison, you blerdi blahdi wah wah blah.

As for Coyne, I think of him as entp because in interviews he doesn't seem to be emotionally phased by questions, and seems like the type who gets constantly zapped by ideas through that Ne-Ti rod. Think Q. Tarentino.

thinking of you

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :wink:
  • ;)