User Tag List

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: nf songwriters/musicians

I love the Smiths too; to continue the NFP trend. Can we have Morrissey? He still gets to stay in this thread .

p.s. I've seen INTJ thrown around for him too.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

violaine

I dare not hope Morrissey is INFJ being that I can't be sure I'm not falling into the trap of wanting to claim someone I admire as my own type. That said, I really do think he is INFJ. He is so direct and bracing in his communication style and is also a control freak.

I suspect Robert Smith is INFP.

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    I dare not hope Morrissey is INFJ being that I can't be sure I'm not falling into the trap of wanting to claim someone I admire as my own type. That said, I really do think he is INFJ. He is so direct and bracing in his communication style and is also a control freak.

I suspect Robert Smith is INFP.
    My first instinct when I looked at interview videos of Morrissey was ENTP.

His cause could be Fe or Fi. My problem with INFJ is I'm seeing Ne there. I see it in the lyrics too. There's that overconnectedness, and always wanting to push the limits of it. This line for example screams Ne to me:

Why pamper life's complexities
    When the leather runs smooth
    On the passenger seat ?
    Also, the fact he is so relaxed at thinking on his feet, suggests to me he is an extrovert. The public shyness isn't really I/E related.

p.s. Now I think about it, I don't want to rule INFJ out though, I'm not positive he isn't. I could probably make an argument for INFJ too.

Possibilities in my view are: ENFP, ENTP, ENFJ, INTJ, INFJ, INFP, ISFP (yep, I'm really decisive here )
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

violaine

Morrissey is definitely not an extrovert.

Was Howard Devoto an influence in the late '70s?

Morrissey: At the time he was, because he was quite like me in temperament, or I was quite like him. I remember seeing Magazine at the Russel Club and they had come back from London, where things were going well for them, and it was quite exciting and he fell on the floor and I thought that was the height of intellectual glamour. I couldn't really see many people like me in pop music. There was Ron Mael. I could identify with him. But nobody else.

What was it about Mael and Devoto?

Morrissey: I thought they were both obviously quite shy and they were clearly grappling with many complex issues. And they weren't smiling. But they were thinking. They weren't on some happy pop roller coaster. Which I also appreciated in Nico. There was still a belief in those days that to be, shall we say, a frontman, you had to be very extrovert and ballsy and have shocking hair.
    Part of an interview in SPIN magazine, 1992:

Morrissey: I never, ever felt innocent in the way I think you mean. I never felt open in any way. I would never impulsively ring people and assume that they'd want to see me, or just go 'round. I always had to sit down and think very hard before I knocked on anybody's door. And consequently, I never really knocked. There was no sense of frivolity in my young life at all, ever. There was no such thing as going crazy, or getting drunk, or falling over, or going to a beach or - well, the list goes on. That never occurred. Everything in my life was just hopelessly premeditated.
    SPIN: Can you be spontaneous now?
    Morrissey: No, not at all.
    SPIN: Is that a control thing?
    Morrissey: I think it's because you assume that your personality, as it stands, isn't really naturally acceptable to most people - that you have to control it or fashion it slightly, and similarly, your language. It's just a matter of being obsessively self-judgemental, which is completely ruinous, because I think you eventually find that the people with whom you feel most close or think are the most like you are the ones with whom you can say anything that comes into your head, and be as silly and useless as you like.
    SPIN: Do you think that, at some level, you're just not capable of trust?
    Morrissey: I don't know. I don't think I am. It's a bit too late, really. It's simply come too late.
    Quote from interview:

Do you have a daily routine?

Morrissey: It's a very quiet, very private life. It doesn't involve that many people. I usually rise quite early, have a leisurely breakfast, and go out walking or visit somebody. Most of the band live within walking proximity.

From another interview:

You talk a lot about keeping your integrity.

Morrissey: Not many people have it.

What is it?

Morrissey: It's avoiding social embarrassment in all ways. It's trying desperately not to answer the telephone at the wrong time. It's trying desperately not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's trying not to be seen doing something ridiculous. It's not wanting to be trapped or engineered into doing or saying and being something that you don't want to.
    I do need to find better proofs for my reasoning... the fact that he is famous definitely skews impressions. He smacks of INFJ to me. Though, other than being extremely curious, I'm not so attached to typing him as I can't really come up with much more on the topic without doing a bit of research.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post

shannon hoon of blind melon, michael stipe (infp or infj? i really don't know rem at all), is thom yorke an infp or infj i waffle but now i'm back to guessing infp instead of infj. what about the kravitzs and the ben harpers? i don't like them, but i still wanna know.

mark mathersbaugh sp. from devo???? layne staley from alice in chains? what about jewel? fiona apple? michelle shocked? i want to be back in 1995. and neko case? i think cat power has to be an f, her voice seems un intp to me. as for paul simon, no idea, just regurgitating an old heresay.

and hip hop! who can do the entire wu tang clan? others? moguls? i'm somewhat out of my element here, we need serious help.
    Stipe has to be infj. Just too blunt to be infp.
    Thom Yorke is an intp. There are several youtube interviews that have him uncorking his explosive Fe on the person interviewing him.

Now, this thread has sent me on a trip on entjs. There are so many that I listen to... and I'd never, ever realized it. Let me list those off the top of my head:

(Layne Staley -don't listen to him, though he has the look and sound,
    Fiona Apple, from interviews, seems very entj because of her very commanding voice, but also quite lazy,
    Prince -his energy is just too expansive to be anything else, screams Ni-Se but seems to lack boundaries to so much of a degree that his dominant has to be Te from my observations,
    Josh Homme,
    the singer from the Trail of Dead,
    Martin Newell of the Cleaners from Venus, and others that I'll remember a little later.

Not to say other types don't have their share of problems, but in support of my view that Cat Power is intp--I've known several primary Ti's to be alcoholoics. She is just very detached in movements, music, and thought. For example go to YouTube - Cat Power interview on Much Music - at 2:45, Cat notes that [remember Beck?] when she writes music it just sort of "happening" when as she does. It just is. I think infps have to make their music much more personal to feed their Fi, whereas Cat seems to make music just because she can.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

more entjs:
    Miles Davis (it'd make sense if his buddy John Coltrane were intp - gamma goobers)
    David Bowie (calls himself a "pioneer" in music, scraping along at 57 - YouTube - David Bowie interview, Parkinson, 2003, Part 1)
    Andrew Lloyd Webber

a few enfjs to throw out there:
    the two main XTC guys - Andy and Colin
    the two main Led Zeppelin guys
    Paddy McAloon of Prefab Sprout
    Sondre Lerche
    Kate Bush
    etc.

It's all really clear to me now. First, state gets this thread and me going. Second, stimulated gets my head absolutely spinning with that angle on Josh Homme. I don't think I'll need to use my Te from here on out! Ha ha ha!

Sugar Hiccup Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

this makes me think of a chappelle show skit based on the racial draft. i secretly WANT morrissey to be an infj, but in my heart of hearts i'm afraid to get my hopes up. yet part of me considers that maybe he in fact he IS an infj, and it's just all of the Fi (and particularly infps) types i know who love him that is skewing my interpretation.

(also, i don't really agree with some of your diagnostic. i think infps just take a longer time to develop their writing skills than infjs. by the time our tertiary Ti kicks in, our expression is pretty much complete. Fi takes a longer time to get a grip on, writing probably takes a bit more practice, but auxilary Ne is really creative at generating angles and ideas, and ter Si allows them to hold on to specific concrete things to anchor and focus them. we as infjs might read faster/more than infps as a whole, sometimes i feel like i'm scanning the pages and glossing over them more than slowly digesting them. looking for somethin Ni related, whereas Fi is sorting out and meditating on the feeling-tone of each object. infj learns how to adapt speech-voices to communicate with Fe, and it has more of an immediate conceptual insight from Ni dom. i find infj writing as easiest and most natural when it is at its most Fe talky. it is the first way we learn to express/extravert ourselves).

also, for some reason, my Ni tells me that morrissey and leonard cohen are the same. i am questioning that bc i have no reason to believe it, but that is what it is telling me.

Oh no, I was not implying that INFPS are not good writers, at all.
    I was saying both INFJs & INFPs are good writers, but INFPs are less likely to be as articulate in speaking as we are in writing. When we open out mouths we get all muddled, for some reason. For myself, I can be articulate if I make the effort, but I am far more clear in writing where I have time to organize my thoughts.
    Morrissey is both an eloquent writer & speaker, which makes me think he is an INFJ.

Anyway, I agree with Sanveane. Of the many Moz interviews I have read, he screams INFJ. I really don't see him as an extrovert, although I agree that shyness twists things, and he's likely not healthy, whatever his type, haha. I suppose I am basing my guess on the overall descriptions of a type. I still think INFJ fits him the best. INFP is close, except we're not as rigid.

----

Anyone want to type Jarvis Cocker of Pulp? I absolutely adore him, and that caddish sense of humor he has

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

Anyone want to type Jarvis Cocker of Pulp? I absolutely adore him, and that caddish sense of humor he has
    Jarvis is enfj.

Like I said, Te's in the trashbin.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

also, for some reason, my Ni tells me that morrissey and leonard cohen are the same. i am questioning that bc i have no reason to believe it, but that is what it is telling me.

i have not thought about brian eno at all, but when you mention him as an infj/enfj it doesn't compute as incorrect. very vast and florid, he is always exploring. plus i think infjs can make great producers. they are probably more me-centric than an enfj producer would be, they would put more of their own stamp on the product, but they can seamlessly blend ideas, concepts, directions. plus based on one interview i read, i felt like he had that look in the eye that infjs can get. views his role as synthesizing vast amounts of (musical) information, and very confident in his big picture understanding/judgment of what is important, relevant, etc.
    When in doubt, use the process of elimination (regarding Leonard Cohen)
    YouTube - Leonard Cohen Interview, 4/28/85 (Part 1)

^above is an infj on infj interview.

Moz is also infj, not a doubt about it. Fulfills the infj/intp combo myth, even, Marr as an intp.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

the lead singer of incubus - ENFJ
    I N V I C T U S

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast