• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] nf songwriters/musicians

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
as stated elsewhere, bill oldham- going with isfp. confederate horses charging, whiskey soaked, etc. he doesn't seem very directive, either.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... what?

surely you have input as to yo la tengo, candylandjoe? or are they a little too staring-at-my-shuffling-feet for you?

I like the stuff the bassist has done under the name Dump. His lyrics are very simple, honest, naive-sounding, on and on and on. He's got to be infp, so I wouldn't bet against the rest of the band being the same. The only Yo La Tengo album I own is Painful, which comes across as an emotionally impressionistic album, one man in the back of his nice house, sprawled out in a backyard jacuzzi with his eyes slathered on the night sky sky, in a totally out-of-his-mind, how-could-have-this-just-have-happened melancholic state, hoping the stars would reconvene and hadouken the planet to make it end.

i want to know more about your guesses for jesus and mary chain and also galaxie 500.

finally, why do you feel like will shef is an infj? i saw them right around the time the stages names came out, mainly with black sheep boy and some down the river of golden dreams material. i can see either inf type.

One of the descriptions of the j & mc that are passed around are Velvet Underground with Beach Boys harmonies. Apart from exhibiting the verbal and physical nuances that I've typically seen in infps, it's my educated guess that--with a pair that are as detached as those two but just as obsessed with melody as shattering eardrums--they do belong to the type.

Galaxie 500 I don't know much about.

And Shef was wild guess of mine. Black Sheep Boy. Written by an infp (Tim Hardin), covered by another (Scott Walker), and possibly covered by another?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One of the descriptions of the j & mc that are passed around are Velvet Underground with Beach Boys harmonies. Apart from exhibiting the verbal and physical nuances that I've typically seen in infps, it's my educated guess that--with a pair that are as detached as those two but just as obsessed with melody as shattering eardrums--they do belong to the type.

William is the main songwriter though....you think both the bros are INFPs? I definitely see William as an unhealthy INFP. He's a bit of a creep though honestly...really grabby with female fans :eek:
I don't know if it's very INFP to be so pervy :D

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
William is the main songwriter though....you think both the bros are INFPs? I definitely see William as an unhealthy INFP. He's a bit of a creep though honestly...really grabby with female fans :eek:
I don't know if it's very INFP to be so pervy :D

I don't think or know anything, honestly. Link a video so we know we're talking about the same thing!

bearette

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I just read the first page, so sorry if I repeat, but I think that Bob Dylan and Michael Jackson are INFPs, not ISFPs.

and Fiona Apple seems like an INFP to me.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what then are your perceptions of the difference between isfp and infp? why do you think what you think? the difference between an isfp and an infp in terms of intuitive development is auxilary Ne vs tertiary Ni. bob dylan seems more concrete imagery and coherent narrative than most infp songwriters i know. fiona apple i can see as an infp pretty easily, she runs deeper and murkier below the surface than say a kirsten dunst. less expressed. michael jackson seems so Se to me, i'm curious as to why you'd disagree.

joe, i'm thinking the dude-bassist is infp, yes, obviously yes, the whole heart-swelling feeling in all their songs. and she might be too, she sings the song nowhere near on painful, but i want to guess she's an intj. i'll check out dump, tho.

i'm starting to think modernist literature is by nature infp. an exploration of subjectivity/values/felationships/feeling-tones/affective gestures/ephemeral graces etc to its furthest ends. and maybe dreampop/shoegaze is by nature infp music? i keep listening to mbv and galaxie 500 and radio dept lately.

also, yeah, i'm feeling nick drake as an infp more today than an isfp. he makes me think too much of lilies and lutes and sonnets to orpheus.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not sure if it's been discussed, but move Thom Yorke to INFJ! Seriously.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not sure if it's been discussed, but move Thom Yorke to INFJ! Seriously.

Seconded! I was a bum bum to have him elsewhere for so long. It took Jonny = Yao to see that Delta connection really form in my mind.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We need more ENFJ's on the list. I'm thinking Alanis Morissette is one, although I don't have a whole lot to back that up other than thinking the lyrics and her vibe are ENFJ-ish. What do others think?

Dar Williams is probably an ENFx too. I'm guessing ENFP. Two contrasting video/professional examples, then informal chit-chatting with performance (more informal gig), then an interview.

YouTube - Dar Williams - "As Cool As I Am"
YouTube - Dar Williams - After All
YouTube - Dar Williams Are you out there? Birmingham UK
YouTube - WNRN - Dar Williams Interview, Part 2 (2008)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also, Anthony Kiedis needs to move to ENFP, promptly. Maybe even ESFP; have you read his autobiography? INFJ is completely out of the question.

Lotr246

Why is Dylan still an ISFP? He's such an INFJ it isn't funny. Read Chronicles, his autobiography, and watch interviews. He's driven by an Ni vision always. And extraverts it to others.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why is Dylan still an ISFP? He's such an INFJ it isn't funny. Read Chronicles, his autobiography, and watch interviews. He's driven by an Ni vision always. And extraverts it to others.

he fell in love with woody guthrie's songs? i think he seems more isfp, tertiary Ni. he has that stoic introvert-feeling male quality, hell maybe he's an infp. i dont' think he uses extraverted feeling much at all.

also i did read chronicles and it reminded me of steinbeck. who i also think is an isfp.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
revised sketch of the big list.

INFJ
kevin barnes
iggy
joe strummer
alec ounsworth
jack white
mickael ackerfeldt
tori amos
spencer krug
dan bejarn
richard hell?
captain beefheart
ray davies
eddie vedder
brian eno
todd rundgren
morrissey
leonard cohen
michael stipe
thom yorke
stephin merritt
cat stevens
prince
mark mathersbaugh
will shef
daniel johnston
damon albarn
ryuichi sakamoto
paul simon

INFP
kurt cobain
jeff mangum
david berman
beck
conor oberst
elliot smith
wayne coen
kevin drew
joanna newsom
kate bush
nick drake
van morrison
robert smith
stephen malkmus
cat power
jerry garcia
charlie parker
ira kaplan
mark linkous
shannon hoon
gram parsons
panda bear
jonsi
win butler
kevin shields
ian curtis
syd barrett
sam beam
sarah mclachlan
bjork
jens lekman
j mascis
simon joyner
john lennon
lou barlow
jim and william reid
fiona apple
alex chiltron
robyn hitchcock
arthur russell

INTP
lou reed
frank black
david byrne
kim gordon
isaak brock
elvis costello
thursten moore
beth gibbons
sufjan stevens
pete townsend
andrew bird
david gimour
neko case
john zorn
richard thompson

ISFP
bob dylan
jimi hendrix
johnny cash
tom waits
stuart murdoch
feist
mike ness
neil young
jeff tweedy
michael jackson
eric clapton
ozzy osbourne
jon bon jovi
gavin rossdale
jack johnson
mark kozelek
chris cornell
joni mitchell
blondie
will oldham
m ward
ben harper
jewel
lenny kravitz
adrian belew

ISTP
pj harvey

ENFP
jim morrison
marc bolan
devendara banhart
jenny lewis
patti smith
karen o
bob marley
freddie mercury
anthony kiedis
janis joplin
ani difranco
tupac
brendan boyd
chris martin
zach de la rocha
john darnielle

ENFJ
billy corgan
bono
jonathan richman
courtney love
calvin johnson
shirley manson
alanis morisette

INTJ
eminem
trent reznor
frank zappa
robert pollard
rivers cuomo
mark e smith
ian brown
cedric bixler-zavala

ISTJ
colin meloy
bruce springsteen

ENTP
les claypool
perry farrell
billy joe armstrong
bruce dickinson
jeff lynne

ESTP
mick jagger
johnny thunders
axl rose
lilly allen
meat loaf
madonna
gibby haynes
paul westerberg

ESFP
dave matthews
bernard sumner
paul mccartney
elton john
billy joel
tom jones
pink
gwen stefani
james brown

ENTJ
jay-z

ESTP
paul westerberg
david bowie

jason pierce (isfp)
layne staley (isfp)
bill callahan (isfp)
brian ferry (infp)
ariel pink (intj)
bill nelson of be bop deluxe (enfj)
momus (infj)
john howard (infj)
kevin blechdom (enfp)
shirley manson (enfp) -
josh homme (infp)

bill fay (infp)
kurt wagner of lambchop (enfj)
julian cope (infp)
bruce haack (ixfp)
martin fry of abc (enfj)
david thomas (entp)
scott miller of game theory/loud family (infp)
kevin ayers (infp)
laura nyro (infj)
matt johnson of the the (infp)
marshall crenshaw (infp)
gary numan (infp)
haruomi hosono (infp)
yukihiro takahashi (intp)
scott walker (infp)
Josh Homme (enfp)
Billy Childish (intj)
Sly Stone (isfp?)
Van Dyke Parks (entp)
Loudon Wainwright III (entp)
Lyle Lovett (intp)
Nick Lowe (intj)
Chrissie Hynde (estp)
R. Stevie Moore (intj)
robert plant (enfj)
jimmy page (isfp)

tom morello
ben gibbard
ben folds
doug martsch
stephen wilson
bradford cox (deerhunter)
jim james
tom verlaine
ed kowalczyck
marianne faithful
michelle shocked
regina spektor
antony hagerty
h.r.
danielson
robert fripp
john patitucci
sid vicious
serge gainsbourg
mike watt
sam prekop
roger waters
sebastian granger
tim kasher
trish keenan
james murphy
julian casablancas
roland orzabel
britt daniel
james mercer
hamilton leithauser
steve mason
travis morrison
john mccrea
bradley nowell
jarvis cocker

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
small detail: the incubus dude's name is Brandon, not Brendan.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
thanks simulated world.

i'm starting to think stuart murdoch of belle & sebastian might be an infj. his records are little novels of characters he swoops down and touches. thinking about kevin drew of broken social scene as well, maybe an infj, maybe something different altogether. the feist kevin drew interview at pitchfork made him seem more directive, more in control, more band-leader of bss than i expected. but at the same time the little short film he did, he didn't seem like he had it mapped out very extensively, kind of just let it breathe and let it happen. music to stir, stir, stir. i don't know.

also i know this is a ridiculous question, but surely someone can critique putting dave matthews as an esfp? isn't he introverted? i can't even tell.

i also think we gotta be able to get james mercer of the shins, robert fripp of king crimson, tom morello of rage against the machine, bradley nowell of sublime, ben folds, and ben gibbard of death cab for cutie.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
thanks simulated world.

i'm starting to think stuart murdoch of belle & sebastian might be an infj. his records are little novels of characters he swoops down and touches. thinking about kevin drew of broken social scene as well, maybe an infj, maybe something different altogether. the feist kevin drew interview at pitchfork made him seem more directive, more in control, more band-leader of bss than i expected. but at the same time the little short film he did, he didn't seem like he had it mapped out very extensively, kind of just let it breathe and let it happen. music to stir, stir, stir. i don't know.

also i know this is a ridiculous question, but surely someone can critique putting dave matthews as an esfp? isn't he introverted? i can't even tell.

i also think we gotta be able to get james mercer of the shins, robert fripp of king crimson, tom morello of rage against the machine, bradley nowell of sublime, ben folds, and ben gibbard of death cab for cutie.

INFJ sounds good for Stuart Murdoch, but INFP isn't too unreasonable either.

I don't really listen to DMB; not much info on Dave. Best guess ISFP.

James Mercer sounds ENFP in the interview snippets I've read. Very enthusiastic, kind of bubbling over with excitement.

Fripp and Morello are both obvious INTJs.

Brad Nowell was probably ESTP, judging from lyrics and personal performance style. I'm not the biggest Sublime fan in the world, but that's my guess.

Ben Folds actually strikes me as ENTP...2nd guess INTP.

Ben Gibbard seems pretty INFP.

Thoughts?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I saw ESFP for Dave when I first glanced at this thread a long time ago...and laughed. But didn't want to bother with questioning it. I've only really listened to DMB's first 3 albums, as I don't like anything after the first 3 - but based on the first 3, seems pretty NF, and based on seeing him in concert back in the late 90's, I wouldn't have ever pegged him as an E. There didn't seem to be anything 'E' about him while on stage. Personally I think INFx - maybe even INFJ since he does seem to have such an Se-vibe going on, and the lyrics seem more Ni/Ti than Fi. If he's not an NF, and is an S, I'd say ISFP.

Anyhow, check out the John Mayer/Dave Matthews thread in the Famous People section on here - the consensus seems to be he's some sort of NF, although there are a few who disagree.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't notice Interpol in here...
I was thinking Paul Banks (the singer) may be an INTP and Carlos D (the overshadowing bassist) may be an ENTP.