User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Does Fe do indifference?

Not ignoring someone, that's active, but genuinely being indifferent?

Being indifferent is sort of opposite to the definition of Fe, isn't it?

For that matter, does Fi do indifference? Dunno. Curious.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I do indifference only on matters that are trivial.

But, generally speaking, I fail at being indifferent.

I care too much about, well, the things I care about. :P
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTJ

I wonder if the original question is dumb...

For Fi I guess it'd be that Fi itself defines what is and isn't trivial, so one doesn't get a chance to be indifferent about the non-trivial.

For Fe, it's the same?

I suppose I meant by the original question, does Fe allow for being indifferent to, well, anyone? I think I have the idea that every person in the world is valued "good, I like" or "bad, I no like" by Fe. It seems like there is no "Meh, who cares about that one."

But then, that's saying no person is trivial to Fe values?

Which is sort of obvious?

IMHO, no. My sister's an ENFJ, a lot like Pink, and I really enjoy pushing that boundary between love and hate with her... it's gotten harder to pull off as she's gotten used to it, but it's really fun to try to get away with whatever I can w/o getting hit.

... so for Fe, they definitely learn what's trivial and what isn't. You have to push harder as FJ's get to know you better.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Not ignoring someone, that's active, but genuinely being indifferent?

Being indifferent is sort of opposite to the definition of Fe, isn't it?

For that matter, does Fi do indifference? Dunno. Curious.
    Does Te do indifference?

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

When I'm using genuine Fe, I certainly can't be indifferent, even if I have different priorities.

Ti is cold, analytical indifference centered around your own ego.

---

Anyway, I would be curious to know if every functions can have an "indifferent" mode?
    Each function is supposed to lead to a kind of interaction, and that's the opposite of indifference.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Does Te do indifference?
    Te is a caring function?

I have no clear idea what I'm getting at with the question. It's something about how people I know who I also know are Fe users seem positively unable to... to... to... back off? Unwilling and unable to live and let live when someone (me) is failing to recognise and present suitable, harmonious, charming behaviours. I can know about the theory, and declare it in their face, and it makes not a whole lot of difference. They are, it seems, NOT indifferent to the signs and signals of an absence of Fe in me, though, seemingly, royally indifferent to theory based objections to THEIR behaviour.

People talk about the wall of Te. Yeah, well, people, there's Fe hammers out there too.

And actually, the question as posed is kinda easily answered: what it doesn't care about, it is indifferent to.

I guess I just wonder if it can learn.

I suppose it must, just like Fi must. That'd be maturity, yeah?

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Fi does indifference well (well,I do indifference well), but it's more that possibility/situation doesn't exist.
    Fe types don't seem to do indifferent
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post

And actually, the question as posed is kinda easily answered: what it doesn't care about, it is indifferent to.

I guess I just wonder if it can learn.

I suppose it must, just like Fi must. That'd be maturity, yeah?
    This seems to be pretty much it. (For anyone, I might add - not just Fe users. You're going to have non-Fe users who, if they care about something, will not back off. That goes for a LOT of T's too. )

To be honest I can't relate a whole lot to your OP or anecdotes about not backing off (I suppose because I'm pretty introverted, for one, and two, I have just learned that much of the time it's simply not worth it to even 'bother', because most people are going to stick to their ways, or they're simply being themselves, which isn't any better or worse than I, just *different*)

Next question would be - am I truly indifferent by not pushing the issue? Sometimes yes, maybe sometimes no. It would depend on so many factors, including the situation at hand, the person, and my relationship with the person. But I don't think it's out of the question for an Fe-user to be truly indifferent at times - just like, say, the non-Fe user can be quite biased/un-indifferent at times.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w4

I had to learn indifference. I was once told by somebody that I could choose my battles, that I didn't need to fight all of them. To me, that was a process of learning to be indifferent to a number of trivialities that I had actually once felt were of high importance.