• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Untapped potential

Immaculate Cloud

MBTI Type
INFJ
Have you fellow INFJ's ever been told that your potential was not fully tapped?

Has it been to told to you USUALLY when you have had an outburst of frustrated temper and been told that your IQ needed to be balanced with better EQ, bla, bla.

Have you felt like you wanted the person to back off and leave you alone?

Do we INFJ's come across to some types as woefully inadequate in the emotional department? Any other types relate to this? The INTJ for instance?

:doh:

nanook

a scream in a vortex
not sure what you mean ....
woefully inadequate in the emotional department?
uhm, i know that one of the infx types correlates statistically with autism/asperger and similar cases of being locked in.
see kim peek for an extreme example.
compare this to eric berne.
same thinking style, much more evolved, but still traces of savant like partitioning.
i think these are people who's first functions is introverted judging. apparently it can break minds into sequential pieces. left brained database.loving reductionism on the front, while there is disintegrated undifferentiated fantasy as well (probably undeveloped second function).
might be a male-only topic, not sure.

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?

Has it been to told to you USUALLY when you have had an outburst of frustrated temper and been told that your IQ needed to be balanced with better EQ, bla, bla.

Do we INFJ's come across to some types as woefully inadequate in the emotional department? Any other types relate to this? The INTJ for instance?

I think its more of a reflection of difference in emotional structure, relative perception, difference between Fe and Fi. Fe is quite externally orientated so it can be percieved as superficial by Fi and Fi can be percieved as selfish by Fe the other way, its just difference, each has its good nature and conducive to society.

I haven't found it where INFJs are emotionally inadequate, but to be fair I haven't met many INFJs in IRL. In terms of INTJ, Fi is teritiary and not seen externally as such easily, Fe is not even in the first four functions, they can come across as very focused on external logic, and not expressing emotion, be quite direct aswell, which can sometimes come across as unconcerned about emotions. Each individual has the capacity to have a good T/F balance though, including INTJ.

Its also tied into introversion, extroverts tend to think with others, bounce ideas, but introverts tend to do that better in introspection, especially INFJ, sometimes silent for awhile, which people percieve that as detachment, when the person is experiencing emotions quite a lot, during that process.

I can't say for sure about untapped potential. It depends on a range of factors, not limited to a specific type. Many types can have untapped potential in varied contexts. In terms of INFJs, I would say that they have such great understanding of the human mind and heart, that couple that with a high IQ, if not utilised would seem like untapped potential.

Immaculate Cloud

MBTI Type
INFJ
not sure what you mean ....

uhm, i know that one of the infx types correlates statistically with autism/asperger and similar cases of being locked in.
see kim peek for an extreme example.
compare this to eric berne.
same thinking style, much more evolved, but still traces of savant like partitioning.
i think these are people who's first functions is introverted judging. apparently it can break minds into sequential pieces. left brained database.loving reductionism on the front, while there is disintegrated undifferentiated fantasy as well (probably undeveloped second function).
might be a male-only topic, not sure.

Asperger's! Really?! Would that not require an extremely high IQ (like above 130?) I never bothered to do my own IQ test because I get impatient just looking at the weird figures and refuse to let my complexity be summarized by a number. (Some could say they resist being summarized by four letters but that could be the topic of another thread).

Is not the INFJ's first function Ni? Introverted Intuition? And the second Fe, extroverted feeling? Do people with Asperger's congregate in a particular type? Or are they a type of their own, just like you cannot really type Hitler, can you?

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yup all the time, they also tell me not to date the people I do or keep the friends I have. it can get old.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
autism is a developmental disorder. what is stuck in developement is the transcending entity that connects areals of the brain. thus the entity gets stuck in this or that area of the brain, which may result in meaningless sensual oversensitivity or savant like math skills. there are no rules to this phenomenon. its an accident. nothing is "required", to be locked into yourself.

Is not the INFJ's first function Ni?
there is dispute about this.
i don't know who you are or what you are talking about, so i will assume that you (and anyone else here) might be any of inf-X, since people commonly mistype.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

yes, by myself every day.

not an outburst, but i think EQ is something that is particularly relevant for not just infj but Fe period. it's too easy to be aloof and scathing to protect yourself, to not allow yourself to feel, to turn off your emotional responses and transfer them to a seething distaste of others. or to just be completely dependent on the feelings of those around you and allow them to set you off whether they are negative or positive. we need to have some reserve and enough support to be able to overcome environmental stress.

yes, i am way too self-critical. it's better to learn thru experience than paralyzed inaction.

Do we INFJ's come across to some types as woefully inadequate in the emotional department? Any other types relate to this? The INTJ for instance

we connect to others, Fe elicits emotion from others and responds to it, connects to it, resonates with it. we are not inadequate we just need to be balanced so we don't buzz with harmful aspects of others and detonate the both of us.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Not by anyone other than myself, no.

No. I don't know anyone in the world who would respond precisely like that, actually, and if they did, they would be the sort of person who goes on my "People to sock in the face" list.

No, I don't think so.

Asperger's! Really?! Would that not require an extremely high IQ (like above 130?) I never bothered to do my own IQ test because I get impatient just looking at the weird figures and refuse to let my complexity be summarized by a number. (Some could say they resist being summarized by four letters but that could be the topic of another thread).

Somehow, I highly doubt that Asperger's and IQ are related at all. Just like Autism or any other thing can occur in folks with IQs along the entire spectrum.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
untapped potential ?
I swear, If i hear that one once more...
you are what you do, and all the self delusion in the world won't change it.

There.
Building a lie about how amazing we all are and what potential we all have is just the usual bullshit already being used by 6 billion people at the moment. And I know those are pretty stories, and I know we all like pretty stories, but a good looking lie is still a lie, and a simple truth is still a truth.

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
Used to solely feel good is not efficient that is undeniable, but it can prove to be effective to show us what we can be with endeavour, once we have accepted our shortcomings. The present is ever changing in new internal and extraneous variables, it can be a constructive tool in synchronity with realistic, proactive measures towards future goals and away from an inert, fatalistic mindset.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
untapped potential ?
I swear, If i hear that one once more...
you are what you do, and all the self delusion in the world won't change it.

There.
Building a lie about how amazing we all are and what potential we all have is just the usual bullshit already being used by 6 billion people at the moment. And I know those are pretty stories, and I know we all like pretty stories, but a good looking lie is still a lie, and a simple truth is still a truth.

introverted people wait and wait and wait to express themselves fully and unleash their inner world. sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. but they concentrate their energies in developing something that is nearly invisible to most others for much of their lives.

as far as 6 billion people go, that is totally separate. yes we are all pathetically small, embarrassingly similar, universally uninteresting. typology itself can be a slap in the face. everything is pointless if your standard is to be godlike and control the world. the numerator stays the same and the denominator multiplies exponentially.

go lie in a swimming pool on a rubber raft and drink a martini or something. your viewpoint becomes boring and we have too much time to kill until we are dead.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Ni believes in potential and what everything could be...

My experience is like that of Kyrielle's. I thinking about it much much more than somebody else telling me about it.

Antreus

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/2
introverted people wait and wait and wait to express themselves fully and unleash their inner world. sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. but they concentrate their energies in developing something that is nearly invisible to most others for much of their lives.

as far as 6 billion people go, that is totally separate. yes we are all pathetically small, embarrassingly similar, universally uninteresting. typology itself can be a slap in the face. everything is pointless if your standard is to be godlike and control the world. the numerator stays the same and the denominator multiplies exponentially.

go lie in a swimming pool on a rubber raft and drink a martini or something. your viewpoint becomes boring and we have too much time to kill until we are dead.

It all comes down to mind over matter. Your actions reciprocate, we are social creatures, and symbolism has the act of guiding us, making us passive, making us feel secure and safe. It can be quite poisonous to society, even idealism if it is not balanced. Alogical all of it in the end. The universe didn't create logic, it didn't have to.

Seeing the world as ugly and bad as made it universally so. Likewise, seeing the world as good and benevolent, what of that? Is that the root that makes what is seen as ugly and bad possible? These are all social dynamics and self preservation, not far removed from the behavior of animals. If the root of all problems are desires we in the end are simply amusing ourselves.. so how do you extend beyond the good and the bad? It is that limiting if you think about and almost inescapable. I think we are highly devolved and ignorant, we make sense of our world through social dynamics. And even our observations can only reach as far as our senses thus making our speck of the universe seemingly very subjective and our objectivity based upon things we will never fully understand unwarily.

There truly is no freedom only the freedom we create in our minds to consider and ponder. And the lack of all thinking, there is true freedom if you ask me. Thinking we are gods I think is the real err. We are all reflections of all that there is and will be in my mind. The only goal is probably to be void of emptiness. Lack of resources can easily make peace in death for those who can't escape suffering in life.

The err is when you create divisions, there can be no division because the universe isn't so. It is all mutable and indifferent because it can't differentiate it only flows, energy sequence and void that is all you are. Enjoy it if you can.

Here is a nice song from Fiona Apple:
All my life is on me now, hail the pages turning
And the fuure on the bound, hell dont know my fury
You're all I need, you're all I need, you're all I need
You're all I need, You're all I need, you're all I need
Youre all I need - and maybe some faith would
Do me good
I dont know what I'm doing, dont know should I
Change my mind, I cant decide, there's too many
Variations to consider
No thing I do dont do no thing but bring me
More to do, It's true, I do imbue my blue unto myself,