User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: I hate school.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

So college degree equals a good job and more money. I won't be completely foolish and say that I don't need it, but what if that's just not your biggest concern in life? I don't want a career, the standard definition of happiness just doesn't apply to me. Spending the rest of my life trapped in some job does not appeal to me anymore than going to class does. Why does not going to college equal misery? What guarantee is there that I will get through this misery and find a bright happy future in life?

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Why does not going to college equal misery? What guarantee is there that I will get through this misery and find a bright happy future in life?
    IT DOESN'T! A career may make one person happy, but like you said, the idea of a life-long job doesn't sound fun. So follow your heart. It'll make you happy.
    INFj. 4w5.
    Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one!'
    --C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by candylandjoe View Post
    Though it apparently works for you, positively affecting outward decision-making by virtue of statistics isn't as simple for others. By god, we wouldn't have this thread to post in and give each other advice.
    It's not all about following the status-quo. I've found that a lot of times it's better to not follow statistics.
    INFj. 4w5.
    Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one!'
    --C.S. Lewis

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The INFPs I know hated everything about school, even though they were quite proficient in it. The same things they hated also bothered me when I was in school, but I think INTPs can tolerate it more.

If you want to avoid formal schooling, I think it's important to strategize and carve out a way to support yourself through some kind of occupation that doesn't require a degree.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The INFPs I know hated everything about school, even though they were quite proficient in it. The same things they hated also bothered me when I was in school, but I think INTPs can tolerate it more.

If you want to avoid formal schooling, I think it's important to strategize and carve out a way to support yourself through some kind of occupation that doesn't require a degree.
    Sigh, I know. If only I could find a way to just bite my lip and get through it, but it is just so incredibly difficult for me. I can't figure out why, maybe it is just the lack of meaning I find in it? Learning is just wonderful, but honestly college doesn't seem to be focused on actual learning. It seems like most of the classes I have been in are just places to recycle information for exams and papers to earn grades.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein

Though I can in no way compare myself to him (I am hardly a self-motivated learner. Well I used to be until school killed my lust for writing and reading, HAHA! My spirit is so weak), that quote is just golden.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

If you hate college so much, I would imagine that you'll hate most of the job opportunities it opens up too. Maybe you could save your parents money and let someone else who does want to go to college take your place by finding some sort of job which you both enjoy and pays well. It's hard, but they're out there.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Sigh, I know. If only I could find a way to just bite my lip and get through it, but it is just so incredibly difficult for me. I can't figure out why, maybe it is just the lack of meaning I find in it? Learning is just wonderful, but honestly college doesn't seem to be focused on actual learning. It seems like most of the classes I have been in are just places to recycle information for exams and papers.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein

Though I can in no way compare myself to him (I am hardly a self-motivated learner. Well I used to be until school killed my lust for writing and reading, HAHA! My spirit is so weak), that quote is just golden.
    You might really like one of those hippie colleges, like Evergreen State or Hampshire, where there are no grades or tests, just projects you get to design. They actually attract really good professors, because of the amount of academic freedom they get.

That quote reminds me of the one I used for my senior yearbook thing:
    "Don't let school get in the way of your education."
    - Mark Twain

MBTI
    yupp

if it doesn't measure up to your happiness thing-a-majig then why not drop out? I mean you've given 99 reasons to leave and very few to leave. Personally I would stay, but that's me and though making more money doesn't guarantee happiness, it does help you live more comfortably, and yes you do need money to live you need it for food, shelter, clothes the nescities.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

You might really like one of those hippie colleges, like Evergreen State or Hampshire, where there are no grades or tests, just projects you get to design. They actually attract really good professors, because of the amount of academic freedom they get.

- Mark Twain
    Oh wow... Those look so awesome! I wish I had known about them sooner. I thought all college's were basically the same, except for the fact that some are more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    If you hate college so much, I would imagine that you'll hate most of the job opportunities it opens up too. Maybe you could save your parents money and let someone else who does want to go to college take your place by finding some sort of job which you both enjoy and pays well. It's hard, but they're out there.
    My parents don't want to stop wasting their money, and it's a community college, there's room for everyone. It's not exclusive.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Sigh, I know. If only I could find a way to just bite my lip and get through it, but it is just so incredibly difficult for me. I can't figure out why, maybe it is just the lack of meaning I find in it? Learning is just wonderful, but honestly college doesn't seem to be focused on actual learning. It seems like most of the classes I have been in are just places to recycle information for exams and papers to earn grades.
    School is all about the slip of paper you get. The learning is only a bonus, that you aren't guaranteed to get.

- Mark Twain
    Great quotes. I love to throw them at stuck up Js.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin