• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Arrested Development

Greenidnhedstrng

MBTI Type
INFP
I have to know if other NFs are as taken with this show as I am. For me it is absolutely the smartest/funniest show that has ever been on television. I have watched the entire series at least 25 times and I still find myself catching new and funny things. I have tended to find that most of my NF friends like the show while my other friends that are not NF don't quite seem to get it, though obviously this is quite a small sample set. Thus I have decided to expand that sample set in the easiest way possible: anonymous inquiries on the internet in a forum I joined about ten minutes ago, a forum about a subject that I became addicted about three days ago.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The people who produced the show did an excellent job capitalizing on subtlety and body language, and that minute shade of spunk was what apparently drove it off the cliff. It was neat while it lasted.

Oh yeah, this thread probably needs to move.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I saw half of the first episode at a friend's house (he loves the show, I think he's an SP) and didn't find it funny at all. Should I still give it another shot or what? Does it grow on you or evolve in some form?

hakuna

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's definitely epic. I seem to remember that the 3rd season wasn't quite as good as the others. Stupid Fox, taking all the good shows off the air. "It's the final Countdown!"

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I saw half of the first episode at a friend's house (he loves the show, I think he's an SP) and didn't find it funny at all. Should I still give it another shot or what? Does it grow on you or evolve in some form?

I like it, not worship it, but a lot of the humor is sort of in-jokes from previous episodes. You gotta watch it from the beginning.

ithinkofaliens

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I LOOVE LOVE LOVE ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT!!!

Me and my INFJ friend are absolutely obsessed with the Bluth family! Come to think about it, I hang around with several NF's who are just as smitten with the show, I think you are on to something here!

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What is this show about?

It's about George Oscar Bluth, the incredible bungling magician. He's the only reason why I watched it.

Dad Bluth gets sent to jail and has his 3 sons and 1 daughter run his company. All family members but one try, at one point or another, to get the largest slice of pie in secret. Unfortunately, the oldest son is the only sensible one, so the others usually foul up horribly and make for some good laughs.

Von Mittendorf

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
What is this show about?
It's about a group of spectacularly self-absorbed people in southern california who are variously trying to save their marriages, businesses, relationships, etc. and fail incredibly.

I don't know if there's an NF connection to enjoying it, I love it dearly, but was introduced to it by I'm pretty sure an ESFP. It is a show that you definitely have to be in the rhythm of to enjoy. I'm reasonably convinced that anybody who properly watches it from season 1, episode 1 will find something to enjoy about it.

Also, when I was more wee than I am now (and living in LA, and trying futilely to be a child actor), I auditioned to be George Michael, which made it really weird when Michael Cera went on to fame fortune.

AfterHours

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I caught it by accident and watched the whole series with my ISFJ dad. It does build on itself.

invaderzim

MBTI Type
INFJ
I loooove that show.
Its better to start from season 2 though. I think it gets funnier, as it goes on.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks for the info; I might rent season one next time I hit up the video store.

No problem on the season 1/season 2+ thing; it happens with many shows. For example, I'm watching Babylon 5 all the way through again, and season 1 is so different than the others it's like a whole different television series by comparison. However, without season one, the rest of the seasons would have been greatly diminished.

Kennewickman

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know about NFs, but every NT I know is completely in love with the show ... my workmate (INTJ) and I throw lines back and forth all the time.

Anyone here want to take a stab at typing the cast? I am not so good at this, but working on it. Anyone?

Pop Pop:
Oscar:
Gangee:
Michael:
George Michael:
Buster:
GOB:
Lindsay:
Tobias:
Maeby:

And bonus for some side characters:
Steve Holt!:
Barry Zuckerkorn:
Lucille 2:
Bob Loblaw:
Egg ... er, Ann:
Rita (tricky?):
Ron Howard, of course as narrator (same as IRL?):
Others I am missing ....

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I've saw it a few times and I didn't really like it. Maybe I would have if I watched it more and it sunk in.

Though that David Cross guy I thought had some really funny scenes.

Greenidnhedstrng

MBTI Type
INFP
Pop Pop: Jeffrey Tambor
Oscar: Jeffrey Tambor
Gangee: Jessica Walter
Michael: Jason Bateman
George Michael: Michael Cera
Buster: Tony Hale
GOB: Will Arnett
Lindsay: Portia de Rossi
Tobias: David Cross
Maeby: Alli Shawkat

Steve Holt: Justin Grant Wade
Barry Zuckercorn: Henry Winkler
Lucille 2: Liza Minnelli
Bob Loblaw: Scott Baio
Anne: Mae Whitman
Maggie Lizer: Julia Louis-Dreyfus

I don't know those are the big ones, pretty solid cast.

Koocoomoo

MBTI Type
iNFp
Enneagram
4w3?
I don't know about NFs, but every NT I know is completely in love with the show ... my workmate (INTJ) and I throw lines back and forth all the time.

Anyone here want to take a stab at typing the cast? I am not so good at this, but working on it. Anyone?

Pop Pop: ISTJ
Oscar: ESFP/ISFP
Gangee:ESTP
Michael: INTP
George Michael: INFP
Buster: ?
GOB: ESXX(?)
Lindsay: ESFJ
Tobias: ISFP
Maeby: ISTJ

As for the side characters, there are a LOT of ESFPs
LOTS and LOTS

LEGERdeMAIN

I'm halfway through season 2, so far. I love it. I started last week with season 1, mostly for david cross. I'm a big fan of his stand-up work.

I'm an infp, but most of my friends are I**J's and they can't stand it.... in fact, they also hate Curb Your Enthusiasm, too. moralists......