• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Atypical ENFPs

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Update: This thread is done, no need to read it. Post more if you want, I know some members may still be in discussions.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, these past few weeks, I've given up on INFP, and have accepted that I am truly an ENFP. However, despite this realization, some questions still I wonder.

I don't necessarily fit into the common ENFP stereotype here, which seems to be that all ENFPs are these cute cuddly, loving, furballs of playfulness and bubbly-ness. I know not all ENFPs are truly like this, but I really not like this description in any way. I also have never questioned my F, as one might notice that this is sounding a but like an ENTP. No, I am still very much like an INFP, and I feel more serious-minded than the optimistic loving playful sunshine ENFP.

I'm trying hard not to sound like I'm ranting or anything, or criticizing anyone, I'm just trying to find some common ground on what ENFPs are really like, as I have read a lot of descriptions about ENFPs describing them as very optimistic, playful, full of lively energy, and it sounds a lot like an ESFP, which I am not.

Any other ENFPs feel the same way? Can anyone explain to me why I am not a normal ENFP?

Last edited:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Realize also that some ENFP's overdo the cliche here, just for fun, as it occasionally pushes the other types buttons ;)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Realize also that some ENFP's overdo the cliche here, just for fun, as it occasionally pushes the other types buttons ;)

Heh, I guess I overlooked quite a bit..

I'm too ignorant sometimes.
:doh:

It is kind of funny though, all of the ENFPs have really earned a very unique reputation over here. :D

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is no such thing as normal.

You can choose to give off the cute and cuddly vibe, but in the end just be yourself.

There are plenty of atypical types of people here. People that don't act like the "normal" people of their type do. There are serious NFs (like myself), silly NTs, free spirited SJs, structured SPs. It's all an illusion (how they are "supposed" to act), none of it is really real. People will be people, an MBTI personality type cannot define how someone will act in a social situation, it only defines how someone's brain functions.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
ENFPs are often optimistic. Honestly, I think it's more of a will to survive. I am optimistic because it helps me overcome adversity. Some ENFPs are cynical because that's what helps them overcome adversity. I'm a fairly low key ENFP (just don't get me going about my values).

ENFPs are visionaries. What we do is imagine possibilities and make them possible wherever we can (or at least the ones we think are cool). Our attitudes to life differ. This kind of visionary thinking combined with a more serious attitude can enable an ENFP to see all the cracks and all the potential in a plan. ENFPs can be incredibly realistic. I've noticed this in male ENFPs a lot.

Also remember, there is no such thing as a normal ENFP, only an average ENFP and who wants to be just average?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
There is no such thing as normal.

You can choose to give off the cute and cuddly vibe, but in the end just be yourself.

There are plenty of atypical types of people here. People that don't act like the "normal" people of their type do. There are serious NFs (like myself), silly NTs, free spirited SJs, structured SPs. It's all an illusion (how they are "supposed" to act), none of it is really real. People will be people, an MBTI personality type cannot define how someone will act in a social situation, it only defines how someone's brain functions.

You're very right..I guess that's what it all comes down to. Very wise of you.

ENFPs are often optimistic. Honestly, I think it's more of a will to survive. I am optimistic because it helps me overcome adversity. Some ENFPs are cynical because that's what helps them overcome adversity. I'm a fairly low key ENFP (just don't get me going about my values).

ENFPs are visionaries. What we do is imagine possibilities and make them possible wherever we can (or at least the ones we think are cool). Our attitudes to life differ. This kind of visionary thinking combined with a more serious attitude can enable an ENFP to see all the cracks and all the potential in a plan. ENFPs can be incredibly realistic. I've noticed this in male ENFPs a lot.

Also remember, there is no such thing as a normal ENFP, only an average ENFP and who wants to be just average?

I guess it's a little broader than I had first saw it. There are those who overcome with optimism, and some with cynicism. I don't think I fit either of those. In fact, I'm not sure..I try to be an individualist, and I guess it has worked. I agree with what you stated about male ENFPs, as my dad is also an ENFP, and we have a lot of the same views.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Amargith's got a point.

Well, these past few weeks, I've given up on INFP, and have accepted that I am truly an ENFP. However, despite this realization, some questions still I wonder.

I don't necessarily fit into the common ENFP stereotype here, which seems to be that all ENFPs are these cute cuddly, loving, furballs of playfulness and bubbly-ness. I know not all ENFPs are truly like this, but I really not like this description in any way.I also have never questioned my F, as one might notice that this is sounding a but like an ENTP. No, I am still very much like an INFP, and I feel more serious-minded than the optimistic loving playful sunshine ENFP.

The answer is simple. You are a male ENFP. We don't behave like girls do. Bubbly, cute etc is also a misguided stereotype even for female ENFPs most of the time, I think. Silly is a better word, and even that, only if the silly switch is turned on.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
The MBTI only explains what functions you use and how those affect your personality. Everyone uses these functions for different things. People who are incredibly Ne dominant will lean towards logic (intuitive logic, but logic nevertheless). It is entirely possible to be a serious and realistic ENFP. Hell, I'm pretty glad to know there are more of you out there.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
The MBTI only explains what functions you use and how those affect your personality. Everyone uses these functions for different things. People who are incredibly Ne dominant will lean towards logic (intuitive logic, but logic nevertheless). It is entirely possible to be a serious and realistic ENFP. Hell, I'm pretty glad to know there are more of you out there.

I'm honestly not even sure if it's the Ne dominant that is driving me, as I am not too realistic, but am serious none the less. I don't know which function that would be, but what it all comes down to is that I feel like the root force in my personality is my NF.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Also, I think on here we are 'letting off steam' which means that the chances of us flicking the 'silly switch' are greatly increased and so this can have an impact on the way we come across, however, I do agree that there is a marked difference between male and female ENFPs (more so than with other types maybe? anyone else noticed it?)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
also...i think we are extremely adaptable and adjust our energy levels to the atmosphere and our company. so..we can be light and fun at a night club or at a dinner party having deep quiet conversations or at work being professional and business like...which might be true for a lot of people?? i don't know...but i think here...this forum...there's a lot of "social" light hearted banter so we may come off more esfpish like you said when we're just having fun...but we can turn around and have a deep conversation about something else too...it just depends on the context i think.

enneagram probably changes things a bit too.
and yeah...no one would call my enfp dad bubbly or cute either.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
What does one get for being considered silly by an ENFP?

I love your shy/awkward undercurrent.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
Yeah, the enneagram explains a whole other part of my personality. I'm a HARDCORE 7 so I'm less like the soft fluffy ENFPs and more like the ENFP that will kick your ass if she finds your actions morally deplorable.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What does one get for being considered silly by an ENFP?

I love your shy/awkward undercurrent.

I like that someone has finally picked up on it :D

i don't really understand these two posts...(i have a cold though...you'll have to excuse me haha.) are you talking to one with soul?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pff, one moment I'm a 2, then I'm a 4, part of me is a 7..enneagrams are confusing :D

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
It's not very hard to see - we're on to you. :D

Erina, what kind of meds are you on? :p

I assumed that Wild Horses was referring to the shy/awkward thing running through ENFPs at some level. I wasn't responding to the OP.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, the enneagram explains a whole other part of my personality. I'm a HARDCORE 7 so I'm less like the soft fluffy ENFPs and more like the ENFP that will kick your ass if she finds your actions morally deplorable.

i'm a hardcore 7 too but i thought it's what made me soft and fluffy ha!
not that i'm that way all the time...but some enfp's with different enneagrams...like 4 i think?? seem more serious.