• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP v. INFP

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It could be there is already a thread on this topic, but I haven't found it yet.

What is the major difference between ENFP v. INFP?

If we could illustrate the differences along the lines of the ESFP/ENFP thread, that would be really great....

We both have Ne and Fi...how does one tell which is dominant and which is auxiliary?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From what I have noticed FiNe is more cynical while NeFi is more positive. It seems like NeTi is more positive and TiNe is more cynical also. Not sure how it relates just something that I observed.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...as it was explained to me when i wasn't sure is that enfp's are less comfortable with negative emotion. we tend to be happy and energized around other people and sort out any negative emotion alone. we're also pretty blunt and say and ask questions others might think was too personal...like people are usually very clear how you feel about things....umm...that's all i can think of at the moment.

i'll let some other enfp's talk because i feel like i've appointed myself spokesperson today! wth!? :blush:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
From what I have noticed FiNe is more cynical while NeFi is more positive. It seems like NeTi is more positive and TiNe is more cynical also.

I think that's an interesting way to put it, yes. Happy-go-luckiness is a factor, I'd say. Flexibility too? I dunno.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
From what I have noticed FiNe is more cynical while NeFi is more positive. It seems like NeTi is more positive and TiNe is more cynical also. Not sure how it relates just something that I observed.

From what I have seen this seems correct.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
erinavery's post

On the contrary I am afraid to ask those too personal questions usually, which I'm sure is just E/I differences. I don't mind negative emotions since I know I will feel them even if I try to not, so I've learned to accept them.

I am also very cynical. I call it being a pessimistic idealist, I expect the worst but work towards the best.

When I compare myself to ENFPs (or anyone for that matter) I am typically way more emotional. It's hard to tell which is in the lead or not though, since it's all internalized. But Fi in the dominant slot will make someone very emotional and they will feel some very specific and vivid feelings. These feelings/emotions will pretty much rule how the person is at that moment. I could go on and on about it, but you get the idea.

I'm not sure what Ne is like in the main slot though.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On the contrary I am afraid to ask those too personal questions usually, which I'm sure is just E/I differences. I don't mind negative emotions since I know I will feel them even if I try to not, so I've learned to accept them.

I am also very cynical. I call it being a pessimistic idealist, I expect the worst but work towards the best.

When I compare myself to ENFPs (or anyone for that matter) I am typically way more emotional. It's hard to tell which is in the lead or not though, since it's all internalized. But Fi in the dominant slot will make someone very emotional and they will feel some very specific and vivid feelings. These feelings/emotions will pretty much rule how the person is at that moment. I could go on and on about it, but you get the idea.

I'm not sure what Ne is like in the main slot though.

did i misunderstand? or did you? because you said the same thing i did it seems but you said on the contrary.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
did i misunderstand? or did you? because you said the same thing i did it seems but you said on the contrary.

On the contrary I am afraid to ask those questions you aren't afraid of asking. Also on the contrary (your quote): "...is that enfp's are less comfortable with negative emotion." I said that I'm comfortable with it because they are a pretty normal thing for me to deal with.

polerbearsand

MBTI Type
INFP
One of the big differences that I find between myself (an INFP) and ENFP's is our eccentricities. INFP's come across as more awkward quiet and clumsy in a charming way. ENFP's with their dominant Ne seem, for the most part, more crazy. Like wearing a cowboy hat with a rainbow tie die shirt. Screaming ridiculous funny random phrases crazy.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
ENFPs are far more excitable, enthusiastic, reactive and impulsive. They give off an aura of cheerful energy. INFPs tend to give off an aura of meekness and gentleness (a deception, I assure you) and are more approachable to those in need of sympathy. They're capable of being crazy and silly, but it isn't their default in the way it is for ENFPs.

I agree that INFPs are somewhat more emotional, but they are far less demonstrative of it. From what I've seen, a hurt INFP is very slow to approach the one who hurt them (if ever). ENFPs tend to confront the person as soon as they realize they're hurt. I'll bet INFPs are more aware of their emotions as well. (This may not be a typical ENFP phenomenon, but I'm typically blindsided by the more intense emotions... I don't know what I'm feeling half the time.)

Chloe

From what I've seen, a hurt INFP is very slow to approach the one who hurt them (if ever). ENFPs tend to confront the person as soon as they realize they're hurt. I'll bet INFPs are more aware of their emotions as well. (This may not be a typical ENFP phenomenon, but I'm typically blindsided by the more intense emotions... I don't know what I'm feeling half the time.)

I am ENFP and I don't agree with this, about confronting person who hurt me. INFP and ENFP both have Fi and when person hurt ENFP he gets hurt to Fi just like INFP.. and as an ENFP I wasn't even aware of my feelings for some people so wasn't aware how much they did hurt me (because of enthusiastic approch to every-fucking-thing in life -breakups included)...

I do agree INFPs are more aware of their emitions.

Someone made good point about positive approach to life that ENFPs have much more evident then INFPs...

However, I am kind of annoyed of how ENFP really looks like some clown sometimes.
Am I only ENFP who feels like clown? Where does all that enthusiasm comes from, fuck, even when I am severely depressed I act so cheerful. :yes:

ConchShell

MBTI Type
ENFP
I am ENFP and I don't agree with this, about confronting person who hurt me. INFP and ENFP both have Fi and when person hurt ENFP he gets hurt to Fi just like INFP.. and as an ENFP I wasn't even aware of my feelings for some people so wasn't aware how much they did hurt me (because of enthusiastic approch to every-fucking-thing in life -breakups included)...

I do agree INFPs are more aware of their emitions.

Someone made good point about positive approach to life that ENFPs have much more evident then INFPs...

However, I am kind of annoyed of how ENFP really looks like some clown sometimes.
Am I only ENFP who feels like clown? Where does all that enthusiasm comes from, fuck, even when I am severely depressed I act so cheerful. :yes:
No, you're not the only ENFP that feels this way. I also put on a 'happy cover' even on my worst days. When I'm down, I can't stay down for long either. I spring back up quite quickly with enthusiasm and energy. It's not all bad. I've been reading other people's comments on other threads and it sounds like some of them would give a lot to experience the same level of enthusiasm and energy.

My INFP colleague always appears both more sensitive and more cynical than I do.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
A hurt ENFP/INFP act similarly, it's just that in an ENFP the shift is more noticeable and for an INFP it goes with the whole image of being 'moody' or 'sensitive' or 'quiet'. INFPs are more likely to stew whereas the extraversion and Ne dominance give ENFPs more of an engine to be proactive and even confrontational or at the very least expressive.

INFP/ENFPs are verrrrrrrry different. I'm sure there's a thread or two already out there. The Ne (extraversion) and Fi (introversion) being dominant make a HUGE difference.

I think Synarch posted about how the thinks there are two kinds of ENTPs. I think there are two kinds of INFPs -

INFPs who are clearly Fi dom and introverted
INFPS who are more extroverted and cheerful

INFPs are much more likely to think and even agonize about 'being nice' and quicker and more likely to forgive. Maybe I'm a more hard-assed ENFP but I'm slow to give out free passes (never do) and I'm fine with being angry with people, I don't need much justification other than I feel justified but I also don't fly off the handle - I think INFPs are more likely to fly off the handle unless they've sorted out their boundary issues.

ENFPs are generally more confident than INFPs though INFPs themselves don't give themselves enough credit when it comes to confidence. ENFPs can let go of things much more easily (except when it hits the Fi nerve, then again, INFPs and ENFPs react similarly).

INFPs are also much more careful about their feelings. INFPs are more 'conscientious' and take on the welfare/outcome of things as personal responsibility. ENFPs are more likely to have an attitude of 'it is what it is/that's what life is like' let it be.

I think?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm either an INFP with a really strong Ne or an ENFP with a really strong Fi. I'm trying to figure out which one is more accurate.

Let me phrase it like this: I act more like an INFP when alone/stressed/pissed off and more like an ENFP when with people/content.

Eh, does that make any sense? No? Okay, thought not....

Thinking through my thoughts - eh, sounds pretty extraverted to me...but I can be really introverted too...I think it's the whole E/I being 55/45 thing...or whatever it is.

I'm definitely crazy though. My husband tells me about 10 times a day. Then again, I tell him the same thing. MUHAHAHAH! :devil:

^ Not sure what that has to do with it - oh yeah, being crazy. I'm either an eccentric INFP or a quiet/emotional/worried ENFP...if that's possible...hmm....well, whatever...

Chloe

Little Linguist, I think you are probably ENFP... I am similar.

However, I think that in my case I dont have much Fi at all. I think that I have pattern of neglecting that, and being "all Ne" and then my emotional discontent acumulates and makes me depressed. But I dont think I am natural INFP with dominant Fi. I am very emotional etc. but not dominanted buy it, but it ends up dominating me because too much ignoring Fi.
I also have very high score on Fe, am not sure what that means...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with CzeCze.

Linguist you are ENFP.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFPs definitely have a much greater need to be at the center of attention. That should be a really big tip off.

Chloe

ENFPs definitely have a much greater need to be at the center of attention. That should be a really big tip off.

hm hm, wouldnt agree.
maybe better term would be ENFPs have greater need to be at the center of happenings.

That "center of attention" is often said in negative context.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
right...i don't want to be the center of attention but i don't want to be left out of things either.