• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do other NFs have this problem?

Valhallahereicome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w7
I've known NFs who totally gave off the empathy vibe - it's amazing spending time with them, kind of like coming back to a warm fireplace after a day spent in the cold among strangers. But as far as many or all NFs doing this - it's difficult to say, because when they're not as warm it's harder to tell their type. I don't know if my NF friends ever saw their talent as leading to problems from people who take the connection too seriously - can't recall anyone mentioning that to me.

I'm about half F and sometimes I do get people telling me fairly personal things when there isn't a solid basis for that deep an interaction. I usually enjoy that kind of connection and reciprocate. Don't think anyone ever makes a big deal out of it afterward. There is the occasional oddball who starts spouting off randomly about his life and then asks me out, but that probably has little to do with my personality type and everything to do with his own issues. I can relate to the gooey heart thing though, it's very hard for me to walk away or cut someone off if they're telling me something intimate about themselves, even if I really want to leave (as in the aforementioned case with oddball).

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've known NFs who totally gave off the empathy vibe - it's amazing spending time with them, kind of like coming back to a warm fireplace after a day spent in the cold among strangers. But as far as many or all NFs doing this - it's difficult to say, because when they're not as warm it's harder to tell their type. I don't know if my NF friends ever saw their talent as leading to problems from people who take the connection too seriously - can't recall anyone mentioning that to me.

I'm about half F and sometimes I do get people telling me fairly personal things when there isn't a solid basis for that deep an interaction. I usually enjoy that kind of connection and reciprocate. Don't think anyone ever makes a big deal out of it afterward. There is the occasional oddball who starts spouting off randomly about his life and then asks me out, but that probably has little to do with my personality type and everything to do with his own issues. I can relate to the gooey heart thing though, it's very hard for me to walk away or cut someone off if they're telling me something intimate about themselves, even if I really want to leave (as in the aforementioned case with oddball).

Maybe the person was just having a bad day.
BTW, what's the big deal with people opening up to others? Isn't that human?

Valhallahereicome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w7
I'm not talking about one person - "oddball" is a euphemism for "crazy guy who talks to himself in public and hasn't showered in three weeks" and those guys seem to like coming up to me, for whatever reason. I'd agree with the bad day part; actually, I'd say that "bad life" would be even more accurate.

I think a lot of us don't like it when people demand a lot of our emotional energy and don't have much to give in return. Spending half an hour consoling someone who barely asked you how you're doing isn't exactly my idea of fun, you know?