• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Frustrated With Stereotyping

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know it's probably suprizing coming from me, but do you guys get sick and tired of how the types get so stereotyped. I think it contributes a great deal towards misunderstandings here (stating the obvious I know.) It gets under my skin every so often.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think it's only a problem if people are being dismissed because of their type. I know people look at me as "wubbie" because im an ENFP. Oh well, people usually just look at me as kinda weird so I guess that wubbie is an upgrade?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel the same way. I think there are three levels of learning the MBTI:

First level: Ultimate realization, who you are, who your friends are. From this you apply it to your life and are happier. From this comes stereotyping.

Second level: You've cooled off about the realizations, but the stereotypes stick around probably because you encountered someone of a certain type who was unhealthy and was a failure at being a human, so therefore that person represents all people of that type.

Third level: You realize all of the profiles are stereotypes and that it's only a very basic description, things are taken with a grain of salt. MBTI still interests you, but you realize that you must really get to know someone to understand how they are and to use MBTI to make that road less rocky.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sir BlackCat is one of the wisest men to walk this wretched Earth.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think it's important to be aware of the spectrum that each type has...and each person uses their functions in varying degrees and some are aware of their tendencies to be a certain way but are mature enough to keep it in check. knowing how different my enfp sister and i are i think has helped me realize the same must be true for other types.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LOL.
I realise I'm no saint in this regard. Maybe this is my way of begging forgiveness.
Erin, Black cat, both of you are right, of course...I'm also slightly confused, as well because my experience here, is some what discordant with my real life experience.
Which of course, is enough to throw anyone out of whack I suppose.... but yes, thanks for giving some thing of a new perspective. I enjoy talking with NF's (esp. NFP's).

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*pat pat* I realize it's easy to think all ESTJs are assholes. Trust me, they aren't. Only 99% of them are. :D

Like I always say, regardless of type, if that person is healthy then you should have no problems with them in your life.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sir BlackCat is one of the wisest men to walk this wretched Earth.

i think it's important to be aware of the spectrum that each type has...and each person uses their functions in varying degrees and some are aware of their tendencies to be a certain way but are mature enough to keep it in check. knowing how different my enfp sister and i are i think has helped me realize the same must be true for other types.

+ 1