User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: NFs Is it easier to be a selfless individual, when you have low self esteem?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    I'm quite radical with my terms. Self-less. To do something with absolutely no "return" towards oneself.
    When you do something, you always get something in return, pleasure, pride, pain, gifts. You never do something without first thinking of how it could impact you. There's no such thing as selflessness in my eyes, immense generosity yes.
    I disagree.

Self-less. To do something with absolutely no intent of "return" towards oneself.

Humans are pack animals, and often default to group oriented choices. It happens all the time, and the motive is not self reward. Empathy is not always the reason for action either; It can still be justified from a completely emotionless perspective. We can be quite utilitarian in nature, and sometimes the worth to others just outweighs the worth to self, so we act accordingly. No satisfaction or anything needs to come into it.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

half-nut member Array briochick's Avatar
    ;) sx

I think it is easiest to do things selflessly when you have a confident self-esteem. Not (omg, I just spelled not as "nought". my language is being corrupted) super high nor low self-esteem. Both of those instinctively draw you to look at yourself and when you're looking at yourself it's very difficult to be self-less. When you're confident (but not enamored) with yourself you can look away and be selfless.

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt