First 12345 Last

Senior Member Valhallahereicome's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w7
    Socionics
    ENTP

Well, judging from my own experience, it comes more naturally to be selfless when my self-worth is high. When I don't feel like a valuable person, I tend to let people take advantage of me, but that's not selflessness so much as fear of repercussions and the desire to please. It's not done to make other people happy - it's done so that they'll treat me better in the future, which I would argue is actually a selfish motive.

Letting some people walk on me can actually hurt others, too, if interests clash - and I'd say that's also selfish, to deny one person something they deserved because I'm too busy seeking admiration from someone else. Like others have said, this tends to happen when you have low self-esteem: The people who deserve good things from you are those whose friendship already seems secure, so you shaft them to chase the respect of someone else. Real selflessness means doing what's right even when you'd rather not.

When I feel worthwhile - when I see everyone as equals, then I can freely choose the times I want to be generous without any motive except wanting that person to be happy. Feeling secure in myself lets me give without demanding back, because all I'm thinking is "I feel great, wouldn't it be awesome if everyone else felt great too!" rather than "I'm missing something, maybe if I give this person a ride 20 miles out of my way they'll like me and that will fill up this hole I have inside."

MBTI
    INFP

I'm quite radical with my terms. Self-less. To do something with absolutely no "return" towards oneself.
    When you do something, you always get something in return, pleasure, pride, pain, gifts. You never do something without first thinking of how it could impact you. There's no such thing as selflessness in my eyes, immense generosity yes.

At times, selfless acts are used as "weapons" by passive aggressive people to give them a sense of entitlement and enable them to gain a favor or the likes from someone else. So no, I don't believe in selflessness. Call me cynic.

A truly selfless person would keep "giving" even if it was unpleasant and even then they do gain the "satisfaction" of doing the right thing. It's not really an act that is truly guided towards others since we ultimately do it to feel better. If we weren't feeling bad about a situation would we even bother making the effort of "being selfless?(ex: an empathetic response to someone in distress=> we feel bad because they feel bad. If they feel better I feel better=>"selfless act".)

Some get angry at the person for taking advantage of them while conveniently ignoring their own role in their "downfall". Well, this is true when things go sour but when things are going well "a selfless act" will not have a negative effect.(I think)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for generosity, big scale generosity but I don't like to get intentions wrong.

I noticed that I give when I'm feeling good most of the time.When I'm having a low self-esteem I just gnaw at other's to feed my own. I don't do a lot of selfless acts actually. What a pain. I'll be generous but never again will I be "self-less" or at least if I ever do I won't fool myself in thinking I'm doing something for the other person when ultimately it's for me.

So yeah pretty much repeated a lot of what has been said. (I didn't read the entire thread just kind of skimmed.)

PS: I don't see taking care of ourselves first as something negative. I like straightforwardness and am honest as possible (with myself)I don't ever think I am doing this for someone. Maybe this isn't true for everyone but that is my take on selflessness and self-esteem because intentions count a lot to me.)

Someone mentioned that there are spontaneous acts of selflessness where the person has no forethought before the act.
    It kind of changed my view of it. I'll have to think about that and get some information.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

Senior Member Valhallahereicome's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w7
    Socionics
    ENTP

^^^Definitely agreed that there is no such thing as a true selfless act. I think the closest approximation of selflessness for humans is giving while expecting nothing from the recipient, because all the benefits of giving are derived internally - such as the pleasure of seeing someone else eating a good hot meal for once. There are still benefits, though, and there's nothing wrong with that.

But it's much easier to get pleasure internally when you already have a good amount of happiness stored inside you, if that makes any sense.

I'm pleasantly surprised by all the posts in this thread. I echo most of what's been said.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhallahereicome
    Well, judging from my own experience, it comes more naturally to be selfless when my self-worth is high. When I don't feel like a valuable person, I tend to let people take advantage of me, but that's not selflessness so much as fear of repercussions and the desire to please. It's not done to make other people happy - it's done so that they'll treat me better in the future, which I would argue is actually a selfish motive.

Letting some people walk on me can actually hurt others, too, if interests clash - and I'd say that's also selfish, to deny one person something they deserved because I'm too busy seeking admiration from someone else. Like others have said, this tends to happen when you have low self-esteem: The people who deserve good things from you are those whose friendship already seems secure, so you shaft them to chase the respect of someone else. Real selflessness means doing what's right even when you'd rather not.

When I feel worthwhile - when I see everyone as equals, then I can freely choose the times I want to be generous without any motive except wanting that person to be happy. Feeling secure in myself lets me give without demanding back, because all I'm thinking is "I feel great, wouldn't it be awesome if everyone else felt great too!" rather than "I'm missing something, maybe if I give this person a ride 20 miles out of my way they'll like me and that will fill up this hole I have inside."
    Great post. +1

Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie
    I'm quite radical with my terms. Self-less. To do something with absolutely no "return" towards oneself.
    When you do something, you always get something in return, pleasure, pride, pain, gifts. You never do something without first thinking of how it could impact you. There's no such as selflessness in my eyes, immense generosity yes.

At times, selfless acts are used as "weapons" by passive aggressive people to give them a sense of entitlement and enable them to gain a favor or the likes from someone else. So no, I don't believe in selflessness. Call me cynic.

A truly selfless person would keep "giving" even if it was unpleasant and even then they gain the "satisfaction" of doing the right thing. It's not really an act that is truly guided towards others since we ultimately do it to feel better. If we weren't feeling bad about a situation would we even bother making the effort of "being selfless?(ex: an empathetic response to someone in distress=> we feel bad because they feel bad. If they feel better I feel better=>"selfless act".)

Some get angry at the person for taking advantage of them while conveniently ignoring their own role in their "downfall". Well, this is true when things go sour but when things are going well "a selfless act" will not have a negative effect.(I think)
    I've tried to explain this to someone before, but he just said, "You don't want to give anyone credit for anything, do you?" and told me my outlook depressed him. I don't see anything depressing about it. People still do good things for other people. There's still immense joy and kindness in the world. Nothing at all changes with this outlook, and frankly, I don't see how you can have a different outlook. To do good, you must get happiness from doing good. That's just how things are.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post
    Is it truly easier to be a selfless individual when you have low self esteem?
    Why or why not??
    I think it's easier to be a doormat and an automaton that does whatever people push or tell or ask you to do. "Selfless" meaning loss of center and ego and sense of self -- then, yes, definitely with low self esteem you will become more 'selfless'.

If you mean selfless as in seeing the situation for what it is and giving appropriate value to everyone and everything and understanding consequences in actions and still choosing to do something to benefit someone else even when you really want to benefit yourself or your own comfort - then you have to have a realistic and strong sense of self first.

Otherwise, all is distorted and your actions are merely playing out your own lack of value to yourself.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    When you do something, you always get something in return, pleasure, pride, pain, gifts. You never do something without first thinking of how it could impact you. There's no such thing as selflessness in my eyes, immense generosity yes.

A truly selfless person would keep "giving" even if it was unpleasant and even then they do gain the "satisfaction" of doing the right thing. It's not really an act that is truly guided towards others since we ultimately do it to feel better. If we weren't feeling bad about a situation would we even bother making the effort of "being selfless?(ex: an empathetic response to someone in distress=> we feel bad because they feel bad. If they feel better I feel better=>"selfless act".)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for generosity, big scale generosity but I don't like to get intentions wrong.

I noticed that I give when I'm feeling good most of the time.When I'm having a low self-esteem I just gnaw at other's to feed my own. I don't do a lot of selfless acts actually. What a pain. I'll be generous but never again will I be "self-less" or at least if I ever do I won't fool myself in thinking I'm doing something for the other person when ultimately it's for me.

So yeah pretty much repeated a lot of what has been said. (I didn't read the entire thread just kind of skimmed.)

PS: I don't see taking care of ourselves first as something negative. I like straightforwardness and am honest as possible (with myself)I don't ever think I am doing this for someone. Maybe this isn't true for everyone but that is my take on selflessness and self-esteem because intentions count a lot to me.)

Someone mentioned that there are spontaneous acts of selflessness where the person has no forethought before the act.
    It kind of changed my view of it. I'll have to think about that and get some information.

Yea you may get something back in return, but who's to determine the source? I mean, not from the recipient of the gift necessarily!
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I don't think it is easier to be a selfless individual if you have low self esteem or if you have high self esteem.
    I think it just matters by how much you care for the other people you are being selfless with- which is irrelevant to self-esteem.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

First of all, I think you have good intentions. I also think you have been treated unfairly or seen people treated unfairly.

A truly selfless person would keep "giving" even if it was unpleasant and even then they do gain the "satisfaction" of doing the right thing....
    Not me. I may be giving but I'm no fool.

....It's not really an act that is truly guided towards others since we ultimately do it to feel better.
    That's easier to see in retrospect. What was in the heart before it happened? Where is the source of the inkling to give? I see many reasons people give. Sometimes there doesn't need to be a reason.

If we weren't feeling bad about a situation would we even bother making the effort of "being selfless?(ex: an empathetic response to someone in distress=> we feel bad because they feel bad. If they feel better I feel better=>"selfless act".)
    Yes. That's just the kind of guy I am.

I'm sorry if this has been someone's experience. That seems selfish to me.

Your intentions are good I have no doubt..What you describe here..I believe that not to be in the spirit of giving. That too I would deem selfish.
    Why do people give if it only inure's themself later? This makes no sense...Why even do it? Yes there are some stupid people.
    It's not to say one should expect anything in return.
    If someone gives me something, I accept it. It's not for my gain, it's for them to enjoy giving. I don't reject their gift.

Why? I don't think about it that much.

A dichotomy on this is selfishness against selflessness. It can easily become mixed up as a paradox. I would suss it out to get the clarity later.

Someone mentioned that there are spontaneous acts of selflessness where the person has no forethought before the act....
    Right! Why not?

That's nice..I'm glad to hear that
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    INTJ

People can be truly altruistic, although it's very rare, but genes are always selfish.
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amad Mozart

MBTI
    yupp

I get stuck as the door mat most of the time, I don't realize it's happening until it's too late. So I guess if that means I'm selfless, then ok it works. But I don't think that's being selfless, I tend to be alot more selfish, and always get oh you're so nice. And I'm like I was going to the store anyways, are you going to pay me back now?or it's no problem it wasn't out of my way. Like if it's not inconveint I'll do something for someone, but if it isn't then i won't.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so