User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I handle it differently depending on my mood and who is doing it in what context.

Bad/Sad mood = take it personally
    Good/Happy mood = take it in my stride in a good way

Friend = it's ok as long as it's not a sad day
    Outsider - it is never ok no matter what day
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    I handle it differently depending on my mood and who is doing it in what context.

Bad/Sad mood = take it personally
    Good/Happy mood = take it in my stride in a good way

It’s similar here. It depends on who delivers the criticism, how and the timing. If it's someone I don't know I'll most likely ignore. If it's a friend, then I will consider, though may be not right away. I'll talk to other people, see if they have the same impression, if it is in my best interest to change/accommodate, I'll do it. If it's a friend, however, I'll most likely take as a 'feedback' rather than criticism.

I prefer when people bring me the concern and let me handle it, rather than give me 'advice' on how to solve the problem. If I ask for their opinion, than I'm open to their suggestion. There was an issue that my ESTJ friend brought up once that I was happy she came out and told me about it, however, when she proceed with "here is the problem and that's how you should solve it," that's when I stop listening.
    Last edited by Eve; 08-13-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    i hate being criticized whether its helpful criticism or not. It makes me feel like people are taking personal shots at me, so i generally don't take criticism well.

That was a very honest and forthright response, thank you.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

criticism of my appearance or of me as a human or of how i treat some one often lodges inside of me, but criticism of my intellect roles off.

MBTI
    INFJ

I do not take criticism well. A good example is when in one of my English classes in high school, the teacher wanted us to come in to speak with him one-on-one and revise our essays. Basically, you had to come in & revise it with him to get a good grade. Due to my shyness & fear of criticism, I never went in to see him & so my essay grades reflected that. I do not like criticism at all & I am the type of person who lives by "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all."

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I generally take criticism with a twist of lime.

Respect and trust between parties is fundamental to how criticism is offered and received.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by J1129 View Post
    I do not take criticism well. A good example is when in one of my English classes in high school, the teacher wanted us to come in to speak with him one-on-one and revise our essays. Basically, you had to come in & revise it with him to get a good grade. Due to my shyness & fear of criticism, I never went in to see him & so my essay grades reflected that. I do not like criticism at all & I am the type of person who lives by "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all."
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It depends on the subject that's being criticised. If it's something I've done or some mode of thinking I have, then I can take it a little personally (thought usually I don't) and wonder, in my sudden case of doubt, if I've been doing everything wrong all this time. Usually that's not the case, and I do like the opportunity to change my thinking.

If it's my artwork, I don't mind as long as it's constructive. It's incredibly important to me that I make my work as solid and effective in its entirety as possible, so I usually appreciate it. (However, if someone just goes "I don't like it" and they have no idea why, then I'll just dismiss them.)

But if it's something I've written (as in...an essay or something of greater merit than say forum posts), I take that really personally and end up tearing up a little bit and wanting to cry...and then generally feel ashamed and a bit like a baby--this also happens with admonishments from teachers, which is why I'm always the 'goody goody' in classes. I'm still not sure why I do this.. I guess it's because it feels like someone's telling me my inner self is wrong...like it's not okay to be me. With my artwork, I put myself in it, but it's not quite the same. It's image-based rather than purely thought-based.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Hmmmm... I've been criticized all my life, so I've learned to develop a tough mind for it. Yet, there are always those few instances where such comments hit home (and I often choose to ignore it), but otherwise, I happily take them in with a grain of salt. Who knows? Perhaps what the person says may help improve myself regardless whether or not it was meant with hostile intent.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Strange. For me, it's the exact opposite: I don't give a shit about what an outsider thinks of me, but if a person I'm very close with criticizes me, I take it very personally (yes, I'm not easy to live with in this matter, people (girlfriends, basically) have to learn about this trait and modify their behavior according).